20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I hope Duren fans are watching the Mavs-Wolves series.  You can not invest big money in a big man that can't play/defend on the perimeter.  

If you can't defend out there you better have a Jokic level offensive game.  

Year after year.

You can get away with it in the regular season, but the playoffs are all about finding mismatches and exploiting them. Arguably, the DPOY is the best of the best in that role, and even he's hurting his team on the court. They're actively hunting him play after play.

And now the team is stuck between a rock and a hard place because you're paying this guy max money to sit on the bench during the playoffs. Should've spent that money on guys who will be on the court in every series, at the most important times of the game.

8 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Year after year.

You can get away with it in the regular season, but the playoffs are all about finding mismatches and exploiting them. Arguably, the DPOY is the best of the best in that role, and even he's hurting his team on the court. They're actively hunting him play after play.

And now the team is stuck between a rock and a hard place because you're paying this guy max money to sit on the bench during the playoffs. Should've spent that money on guys who will be on the court in every series, at the most important times of the game.

there is a definite contrast between baseball and football on one hand and hockey and basketball on the other in terms how the games change in the playoffs. In baseball and football, if you build a team to win the most regular season games, you have probably built a playoff winner. Not nearly as true in basketball and hockey.

• Like 1

How much of that is how the games are called by the refs?  In hockey...they let more go in the playoffs than they do the regular season.  That tends to hamper teams that play a more finesse style of hockey  Don't watch enough of the NBA playoffs these days to really judge that

9 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

How much of that is how the games are called by the refs?  In hockey...they let more go in the playoffs than they do the regular season.  That tends to hamper teams that play a more finesse style of hockey  Don't watch enough of the NBA playoffs these days to really judge that

It's night and day between the playoffs and the regular season in the NBA. Far more physical and the refs let a lot go. I wish regular season basketball was officiated that way because it feels like defense is actually allowed. It definitely has an effect on finesse teams or soft players in the playoffs. But it's not why Centers are less important - that's because most of them can't guard the perimeter and teams strategize to exploit that in a 7 game series. If you can't switch on defense you're cooked.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

What is the holdup on Langdon?  

I was just wondering the same. Draft is less than a month away, they need to get moving on this if he's going to make changes. Makes me think that Weaver and Monty are going nowhere.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

This org is run like a joke. It's not just Monty and Troy, they need to clean house.

Edit: Also, I'm glad to see that Omari continues to poke at this org when they drop the ball. Unlike JEIII, he's been getting a lot of respect from the fans for being more vocal on this type of stuff.

Edited by Betrayer

Posted (edited)

Other than the McCloskey/Daly years...the Pistons org has always been dysfunctional.  Going back to the early 70's.  A lot of turmoil, infighting and incompetence

Edited by Shinzaki

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

he's going to make $50 million next year.

Pretty irrelevant to the Pistons for the next couple of years.  They have cap space to burn.  Year 3 and 4 could be tough if they do get good/better. He would make them better though.  

The Langdon story broke last week and we've heard zero from the organization. I hope that means they're sorting out the Monty and Troy firings before an announcement next week and the PR team is just hard at work writing everyone's speeches.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Pretty irrelevant to the Pistons for the next couple of years.  They have cap space to burn.  Year 3 and 4 could be tough if they do get good/better. He would make them better though.  

they need a stretch big man and he can shoot, especially when the games mean nothing.  and the pistons arent going to be playing meaningful games for a while.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

they need a stretch big man and he can shoot, especially when the games mean nothing.  and the pistons arent going to be playing meaningful games for a while.

Pathetic.  Accurate, but pathetic.  

Posted (edited)

Shams reporting that Detroit is parting ways with Troy.

No word on Monty yet.

I knew it would happen on a Friday. Gores runs this thing like another company in his portfolio, not a sports franchise.

Edited by Betrayer

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Pretty pointless. He was already kneecapped when they said they would hire a POBO.

Agreed. Eating Monty's contract is the thing that will show me they're serious.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

How many first rounds picks do we get with the salary dump? Sucks to start over, but I guess we could actually start doing what Weaver should've done from the start.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

because lavine is a cancer.  selfish player who is constantly injured now.

all the options for "salary dumps" are flawed players making a **** ton too much money.  duh.  teams dont trade their best players in salary dumps.

then again, it beats joe harris.  unless were tanking for the 5th pick again.

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

How many first rounds picks do we get with the salary dump? Sucks to start over, but I guess we could actually start doing what Weaver should've done from the start.

the bulls still owe a #1 pick to san antonio for derozan.  they also have portland's #1 from an earlier deal.