20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

I know it’s Pistons marketing and they have to say things like this but they don’t have “foundational pieces of the young core”.

They have Cade.

If things go well next season maybe they can add Ausar or Duren to the group but that’s extreme wishful thinking.   

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

"Said Pistons owner Tom Gores"

Who did he "say" this to? Where do these quotes come from? Was there a press conference where people actually got to ask real questions of this guy? Nope. It's just how the PR team decided to write it up to make it look like an interview happened and they aren't completely ducking all the media smoke as an organization.

34 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

"Said Pistons owner Tom Gores"

Who did he "say" this to? Where do these quotes come from? Was there a press conference where people actually got to ask real questions of this guy? Nope. It's just how the PR team decided to write it up to make it look like an interview happened and they aren't completely ducking all the media smoke as an organization.

ummm thats how press releases work. the literal definition of them.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

ummm thats how press releases work. the literal definition of them.

Yes, I spent many years in corporate leadership, I understand how press releases work. For that reason, I also understand how firms operate when they want to avoid the hard questions and duck the media. Friday press releases with carefully crafted illusions of open information are a great away to avoid the heat when your organization has been run like a clown show for years and you don't want to actually face your customers or the media.

Lets not forget how they avoided the media all season when people were screaming for Tom or Troy to come out and discuss the state of the franchise during the losing streak. Or that they sent the players out there alone for exit interviews and nobody heard from Tom, Troy, or even Monty. Here we are 2 months later after hiring a PoBo and firing the GM and still we have nothing but under the radar Friday press releases and social media drops. Even the new PoBo updated his X account bio before this organization got around to making the announcement.

Absolute clown show.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Yes, I spent many years in corporate leadership, I understand how press releases work. For that reason, I also understand how firms operate when they want to avoid the hard questions and duck the media. Friday press releases with carefully crafted illusions of open information are a great away to avoid the heat when your organization has been run like a clown show for years and you don't want to actually face your customers or the media.

Lets not forget how they avoided the media all season when people were screaming for Tom or Troy to come out and discuss the state of the franchise during the losing streak. Or that they sent the players out there alone for exit interviews and nobody heard from Tom, Troy, or even Monty. Here we are 2 months later after hiring a PoBo and firing the GM and still we have nothing but under the radar Friday press releases and social media drops. Even the new PoBo updated his X account bio before this organization got around to making the announcement.

Absolute clown show.

and when they did do a press conference, gores was a clown.  remember how he lauded the team becauae of all their community work?  in the midst of a 28 game losing streak?

perhaps its better that they issue a press release instead?  that said, the release was also ridiculous so maybe not?

Not hyperbole to suggest that Weaver may be the worst GM in Detroit sports history, Millen is the obvious answer but Millen atleast had some 6-10 and 7-9 seasons in him. Weaver was nothing but dead last every year. 

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not hyperbole to suggest that Weaver may be the worst GM in Detroit sports history, Millen is the obvious answer but Millen atleast had some 6-10 and 7-9 seasons in him. Weaver was nothing but dead last every year. 

I do think Millen had the right idea, it was just bad execution. He came in and wanted to add speed and athleticism. He wanted to run a West Coast offense which was new at the time. The problem was Batch wasn't capable of running that offense and he spent money on guys like Az Hakim who were fast and nothing else. Weaver just collects bigs who can't shoot like it's the 90's. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Absolute clown show.

Nobody holds press conferences to announce a poor employee has been fired. Ever. You also said you know how it works, but then went on a rant about said and how it's made to look - which is why press releases are sent out. That's 101.

And a press release doesn't mean there will never be a press conference ever. Organizations frequently do this. Announce something via release and then take questions later. You see it all the time with hires or trades.

And nobody does it when a former president is convicted of 34 felonies cause nobody cares. 

You may have worked in corporate leadership, whatever that is, this is literally my field I pretty sure I know how all this works and why.

Edited by KL2

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do think Millen had the right idea

I would say he had an idea that was reasonable from one aspect, but ended up being wrong in toto. I remember early on in the push to overload the receiver corp discussion about how if you could force a team into having to cover a #1 level receiver with a their #3 CB, you would dominate on the mismatch. Maybe true as far as it goes. The problem is that Millen missed the converse  - which is that no football team is better than  their weakest link position group, and overloading at one position leaves your weakest links weaker, and you end up more exploited than exploiter. The best football teams are the most balanced where you can't attack them anywhere easily from either side of the ball. So in the end I think Millen did not have a good concept once you zoomed out to consider the impact on the whole team. And the proof is in the contrast to how Holmes got the team to the Conference final by making it a priority to keep filling the weakest holes.....well except for kicker maybe. :classic_wink:

I remember hearing about it years ago but I don't know if it ever got confirmed but I remember hearing that Millen didn't want to draft Joey Harrington in 2002 but ownership overruled him cause they wanted him for the opening of Ford Field. Assuming it is true I wonder how things may have played out if Millen were to have taken somebody else.  

Reason I wonder that is not due to the player he may have gotten but more so the fact that we wouldn't have been committed to Harrington for those first few years. The 03 draft had Carson Palmer and the 04 draft had Eli, Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. 

We finished with the number 2 pick in that Palmer draft and pick 6 in the 04 draft so IF everything played out exactly the same only Ben would we have had a chance at but you never know, maybe things would have played out differently or we may have tanked even harder to insure the young QB to build around. Instead we kept hoping Joey would be that guy until it was too late. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember hearing about it years ago but I don't know if it ever got confirmed but I remember hearing that Millen didn't want to draft Joey Harrington in 2002 but ownership overruled him cause they wanted him for the opening of Ford Field. Assuming it is true I wonder how things may have played out if Millen were to have taken somebody else.  

Reason I wonder that is not due to the player he may have gotten but more so the fact that we wouldn't have been committed to Harrington for those first few years. The 03 draft had Carson Palmer and the 04 draft had Eli, Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. 

We finished with the number 2 pick in that Palmer draft and pick 6 in the 04 draft so IF everything played out exactly the same only Ben would we have had a chance at but you never know, maybe things would have played out differently or we may have tanked even harder to insure the young QB to build around. Instead we kept hoping Joey would be that guy until it was too late. 

the rumor was he and morningweg wanted quinten jammer.  but that may have been apocraphyl.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, buddha said:

the rumor was he and morningweg wanted quinten jammer.  but that may have been apocraphyl.

It is true that WCF was always as interested in a top pick's potential market impact as his football impact (fannies in the seats!). Who knows why that might have drawn him to Harrington in particular, but if he'd had better football sense the Lions were not have been what they were.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It is true that WCF was always as interested in a top pick's potential market impact as his football impact (fannies in the seats!). Who knows why that might have drawn him to Harrington in particular, but if he'd had better football sense the Lions were not have been what they were.

i find it hard to believe wcf was that involved with the team and drafts.  you never heard about him being involved except this one time.

i think its millen putting stories in the press to make excuses for himself.

5 hours ago, KL2 said:

Nobody holds press conferences to announce a poor employee has been fired. Ever. You also said you know how it works, but then went on a rant about said and how it's made to look - which is why press releases are sent out. That's 101.

And a press release doesn't mean there will never be a press conference ever. Organizations frequently do this. Announce something via release and then take questions later. You see it all the time with hires or trades.

And nobody does it when a former president is convicted of 34 felonies cause nobody cares. 

You may have worked in corporate leadership, whatever that is, this is literally my field I pretty sure I know how all this works and why.

Do they hold press conferences to announce a President of Basketball Operations? Yes, of course they do. We're going on two weeks since the news "leak" and Trajan subsequently updating his X profile to Pistons PoBo. Have you seen a press conference scheduled? The Suns hired a new coach and held a press conference within 48 hours. An actual press conference with media.

And yes, I'm sure they'll have one eventually. The point is that just like this entire season, the organization continues to be run like a company that's doing their best to avoid hard questions and hide rather than an actual NBA franchise. It's been a frequent story on every show that covers the Pistons. Have you been paying attention all season or are you just looking for a semantic argument about how different companies utilize their press releases?

7 hours ago, buddha said:

i find it hard to believe wcf was that involved with the team and drafts.  you never heard about him being involved except this one time.

i think its millen putting stories in the press to make excuses for himself.

IDK - At least when Russ Thomas was there, he and WCF were BFF and I imagine every Lion move was vetting over several (or more) rounds at the Lindell. Thomas knew the way to WCF's enduring loyalty was to play to his aspirations as an NFL mover/shaker.

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 11:07 AM, Deleterious said:

How do the Spurs only have $21m of cap space? Without looking at their contract situation offhand, that just seems impossible. Vassell is their only sizeable contract as far as I know and even that one isn't near max.

Edited by NYLion

37 minutes ago, NYLion said:

How do the Spurs only have $21m of cap space? Without looking at their contract situation offhand, that just seems impossible. Vassell is their only sizeable contract as far as I know and even that one isn't near max.

His is $30m.  Johnson is $20m.  Collins is $16M.  Even Victor is $13M.  Graham is another $13M.  They also have 12 guys under contract.