20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

His is $30m.  Johnson is $20m.  Collins is $16M.  Even Victor is $13M.  Graham is another $13M.  They also have 12 guys under contract.  

Still hard to believe that a young team like that with no max contracts has relatively minimal cap space but I suppose those mid size contracts really took up a lot of space.

Well, MIchael Blackstone updated his Twitter bio to "Executive VP of Basketball Operations DetroitPistons", so I guess that means he's hired.

We should all just refresh Twitter to find out what this organization is up to.

I wonder what Monty's says?

10 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Well, MIchael Blackstone updated his Twitter bio to "Executive VP of Basketball Operations DetroitPistons", so I guess that means he's hired.

We should all just refresh Twitter to find out what this organization is up to.

I wonder what Monty's says?

I get your frustration but I don't think they'll have a presser until the coaching situation is sorted out.

21 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I get your frustration but I don't think they'll have a presser until the coaching situation is sorted out.

100% you're right. They want to have answers to all the questions before they get in front of the media. Problem is that most of these questions could have and should have been answered weeks ago, if not months ago during the losing streak.

From the new JEIII mailbag.

I hope this means Langdon understands Duren has to go.  Big pass on Monk and Harris.  

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5539657/2024/06/05/detroit-pistons-draft-coach-malik-monk/

As for other realistic free-agent options, I think Detroit goes heavily after the likes of Malik Monk, Nic Claxton and Gary Harris. Monk feels like someone the Pistons will heavily prioritize due to the team’s need for legitimate 3-point shooting and off-the-dribble shot creation. Claxton would address the rim protection woes. Harris, despite usually missing several games a season due to injury, is the exact type of 3-and-D role player the Pistons could desperately use.

The good news is the cap can only go up 10% a year now.  So you wont have a KD to GSW situation like last time where a team that just won the title had cap space to add a star without losing anyone.

Hopefully a new local deal gets done and the Pistons are on Amazon next year.  I would even be willing to pay a few extra bucks per month for it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

From the new JEIII mailbag.

I hope this means Langdon understands Duren has to go.  Big pass on Monk and Harris.  

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5539657/2024/06/05/detroit-pistons-draft-coach-malik-monk/

Monk doesn't inspire me. He's basically what I would project Ivey to become in a few years. An athletic bench sparkplug with no defense. I don't want to spend 30M on that guy to be my starting #2 next to Cade when what I really need is a wing or forward. Would he improve the team? Yes. But that's not saying much and I'd prefer to spend the money elsewhere.

Claxton would improve the frontline defense but I wonder what his price point will be. You could have Duren come off the bench and develop, which might also make him cheaper come extension time. Then again, you don't have a lot of assets and you need a good wing/forward, so you'd probably have to move him anyway.

There are better role players than Harris to pursue: KCP, Trent Jr, Brown, Oubre, Martin, Jones Jr, Marshall, etc.

Thinking more about all the smaller guards we kept getting linked to (Monk, Harris, etc), I'd prefer if we don't add a guy who's shorter than Cade.

Instead we should lean into the advantage of having a big PG and add a bunch of 6'6" to 6'9" guys around him to fill out the 2-4 spots. Find a fringe All Star at one of the Forward spots to pair with Cade (have to be a trade since there are none in FA). And then you have Ausar who's 6'6" and can play 2-4. Fontecchio is 6' 7" and he can play either forward spot. Stew is 6'8" and very switchable. Grab one more 3 and D guy in FA like Derrick Jones Jr or Naji Marshall - if I strike out on those guys I might drop down to 6'5" for a versatile wing defender like KCP or Trent Jr, but no shorter than that in the starting lineup.

Then you need a starting Center who can defend the paint like Claxton. Stew is my backup Center who can space the floor a bit, making lineups with Ausar work better until he learns to hit that corner three. For a third string Center Jalen Smith or Precious Achiuwa could be cheap options.

Obviously, in this scenario Duren, Ivey, and the pick are all on the trade block to bring in that fringe All-Star forward (Let's say KAT, Ingram, Mikal, or Grant because I can't think of anyone else right now that could be on the block). At least two of those assets would get moved in the trade, possibly all three. The rest (Claxton, 3&D wing, and backup Center) is done with the remaining cap space (some of it will be eaten in the trade).

Of course, none of this matters if we don't get a new coach. Someone smart enough to know the Killian Hayes isn't an NBA player, teams need spacing, lineups don't have to include 12 players every night, if you only have 2 ball-handlers you have to stagger them, and Ausar Thompson's most used play type at the end of the season shouldn't be "spot up 3". That's not asking much, is it?

I can’t project any specific moves but I’ll be shocked if Langdon doesn't make a few giant moves this summer.  I just don’t see him coming in and slowly adding a piece here and a piece there.  He’s going to try and make a big splash right away.    

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Everyone is out there talking but nobody has any real info on this. Before the end of the season JEIII said Monty was probably gone and Weaver stays. Now he's saying 50/50 because he has no idea.

The part of me that questions this organization's seriousness and ability to do anything right thinks they'll bring Monty back because of Gores ego and pocketbook. It's the wrong move, so the pessimist in me says that's what they'll do because they're a clown organization.

But if you look at the pattern of events, all signs would point to him being gone and us getting another Friday afternoon press release followed by a press conference announcement (finally). I can't really think of any other reason they wouldn't have had the press conference announced by now. They're trying to make certain they can come to the table with all the answers and if they were keeping him then what's the hold up?

From the JEIII mailbag.

Duh.

[Quote]I’m 99.9 percent sure that Cunningham gets an extension this offseason. I don’t want to say 100 percent because you never know what can happen, but I’d be stunned if the 2021 No. 1 overall pick doesn’t sign a max rookie extension.[/quote]

So there were rumors before the Hurley offer that LA would be very interested in Monty if the Pistons let him go.  

Gores should approach Monty and tell him he is free to negotiate with LA if he wants.  Tell him he will pay him the full amount of his contract minus what LA is paying him.  

Everybody wins.  Detroit saves a few bucks and drops a bad coach.  Williams still get his full pay and gets to coach a better team in a better city.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, Deleterious said:

So there were rumors before the Hurley offer that LA would be very interested in Monty if the Pistons let him go.  

Gores should approach Monty and tell him he is free to negotiate with LA if he wants.  Tell him he will pay him the full amount of his contract minus what LA is paying him.  

Everybody wins.  Detroit saves a few bucks and drops a bad coach.  Williams still get his full pay and gets to coach a better team in a better city.

Why in the world would you tell him he will pay full amount?! LA would them offer him a contract for a buck then knowing they don't have to pay a damn cent. 

Edited by KL2

18 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Why in the world would you tell him he will pay full amount?! LA would them offer him a contract for a buck then knowing they don't have to pay a damn cent. 

I tell him that to get rid of him. Any release from his contact could depend on the amount the Lakers pay him. That is what lawyers are for.