20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

Thank God, Monty was the worst thing to ever happen to the Pistons. He had no interest in being here and coached like it. 

I gotta say about Gores, he might make the wrong personnel decisions time after time but the guy does what it takes with his resources to try to win at least. There are plenty of owners that wouldn't have footed the bill to rid of this coach but Gores did so credit to him for that. Now lets try to get it right this time, Kenny Atkinson would be my choice.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

The Pistons' owner likes shiny things.  While they needed new leadership of the front office and head coach, I'm just not sure how successful they will be with current ownership.

On the flip side, even a bad owner only needs to make one good hire - if that was Langdon, good for us.

• Like 1

Williams is a good coach from everything I've heard. The team he was given was trash and injured on top of that. No one could of won with the guys he had and dealing with the injuries he had to deal with. Dumb move imo. Should have given him one more year to see what happens.

Will be interesting to see what happens next. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Williams is a good coach from everything I've heard. The team he was given was trash and injured on top of that. No one could of won with the guys he had and dealing with the injuries he had to deal with. Dumb move imo. Should have given him one more year to see what happens.

That's true, the roster had issues.  but I'm just not sure Williams helped much.  Heck, did he even want to be around in the first place given the stories of how they had to make him a deal he couldn't say no to?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

On the flip side, even a bad owner only needs to make one good hire - if that was Langdon, good for us.

Hopefully he is.  And has been mentioned, to Gores' credit, he's eating this deal early on as opposed to allowing a bad situation fester on longer than it needs to.

It's amazing how everyone was so excited when he was hired. Gores went out and paid "whatever it took" to get the BEST. After one year of a bum roster and everyone is happy now. I don't know... does't seem right but I don't know a lot about NBA. 

I hope Monty just shrugs and says "ok" while going to go buy a beach house today to put his feet up for the next 40 years..... 

I wasn't happy when they hired him.  Him and Weaver both deserved to be fired.  But I do agree the roster is hot garbage.  Poor coaching, a poor fit, none of that matters if you have some talent on the roster.  You can still win 30+ games under those conditions.  When you lose this many games it is all about a lack of talent.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I wasn't happy when they hired him.  Him and Weaver both deserved to be fired.  But I do agree the roster is hot garbage.  Poor coaching, a poor fit, none of that matters if you have some talent on the roster.  You can still win 30+ games under those conditions.  When you lose this many games it is all about a lack of talent.  

I've had a little insider information so it is cool to be on the "know" for some small things. But I can tell you that it was hard this year because the Pistons didn't have veterans around to show the young kids "how to be pros". The Pistons tried to bring in some veterans later but my friend made a point when you have a rookie making $5mil a year and you sign a vet for $2 million for 2 years, do you really think the rookies going to listen to him? So Monty had to deal with some of that.

Realistically, who on the Roster is worth building around? Cade, Duran and......? I don't think Cade is a franchise player that everyone thinks he is. My co-worker who used to be a D1 coach said even he was a little skeptical.... I think Cade can be a starter and a good one, but he's not the face of the franchise type from what I've seen.  So who else besides those two is worth keeping around? 

Does the new GM (when we get one) just say we are "open for business" and we literally start all over again? Or are there pieces to build around. My buddy said we should overpay for someone like Klay Thompson to bring him in and get the culture shift there. But he mentioned no ones going to want to go to Detroit so we'll have to overpay for someone regardless. Curious to know all your thoughts on that..... Is it the start of a new rebuild or are there pieces here....

27 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

He was an absolute train wreck this season.

Nobody is saying it was a good roster, but Williams was called out by everyone from the Piston's beat writers (notorious for not saying anything bad) to the national media, including well respected guys like Vecenie and Windhorst. He coached like he was actively trying to get fired. Everything from starting a non-NBA player (Killian), benching Ivey, mishandling Ausar, 11 man lineups with all bench units, terrible game management, and outright lies to the media.

Speaking as someone who watched all 82 games, this was an absolutely criminal display of coaching. He should've been fired mid-season and the fact that it took them this long to do it was simply because of the money and pride Gores had to swallow after he publicly bragged about overruling his GM to throw bag loads of money to bring in a big name.

I'm glad that in the end they did the right thing even though it took way too long. Now they need to rush to bring in a coach because it would be nice to know who your guy is and what he wants to implement before you go into the draft and free agency.

Edited to add: Let's not forget that Casey had a similarly terrible roster - and didn't even have Cade - the previous year and won more games. Casey is an average coach at best. What does that make Monty?

Edited by Betrayer

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

i'm guessing you didnt watch too many pistons games this year.

monty williams was criminally bad this year.  yes, the team had mismatched players, but he made them worse.  he put them in poor situations all season long.

as has been noted, he didnt want the job but gores stupidly made him an offer he cant refuse so gores could land his "big name" (just like van gundy).

monty may be a better fit in another situation, but he was wrong for this team and was extremely bad last season.  firing him was the correct move.

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

It's amazing how everyone was so excited when he was hired. Gores went out and paid "whatever it took" to get the BEST. After one year of a bum roster and everyone is happy now. I don't know... does't seem right but I don't know a lot about NBA. 

I hope Monty just shrugs and says "ok" while going to go buy a beach house today to put his feet up for the next 40 years..... 

Yes crazy how people can change thier mind based on evidence. 

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Does the new GM (when we get one) just say we are "open for business" and we literally start all over again? Or are there pieces to build around.

It always struck me that Weaver had no real idea how to construct an NBA team for the current game. The pistons as a group have just been a collection of misfit toys, or to be really generous, a team built for a completely different era. And once you add Monty doing nothing to put the pieces he had together into anything like an optimum configuration, you have what we got!

Before you can decide what pieces you may have, management first has to have a concept of what the team they want to build should look like. If Langdon has that he's already way ahead of Weaver.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Because we watched the games and Monty was such a disaster that it's almost like he sabotaged the team on purpose out of spite for Gores dragging him out of temporary retirement, that's how bad his coaching was. You can tell right off the bat at his opening presser that the guy had little interest in the job and even admitted that he took it because the money was too good to turn down. I wish him well going forward and I feel for him for what he's gone through with losing his wife but.....good riddance, give me a coach that cares about the team and city and wants to be here.

With that said, the roster needs a ton of work as well so it's not only a coaching issue but there was a big coaching issue last season.

Edited by NYLion

3 hours ago, buddha said:

so once again marc stein has no idea what he's talking about and is just throwing bs against the wall.

Stein is absolute garbage every time. I have no idea why people keep acting like he's a respected source of information.