20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

2 hours ago, buddha said:

just dont trade for jerami grant.  please.

I’m taking Grant at 30M on a shorter contract over BI or George at 50M on longer contracts all day. As I’ve mentioned before, Omari was talking about a pick swap plus one secondary young guy (Grimes, Sasser) as possibly being enough.

That means you’re only eating about 20M of that, leaving you with 40M+ available to go after someone like Claxton and another 3 and D vet like KCP or Trent Jr. You can then re-sign Tek since he’s a restricted  

And you still have Ivey and Duren as tradeable assets for the right deal.

This would create a competent roster that can help Cade develop. It’s not the championship move, but you have to take steps forward and make the move before the move.

Livestream press conference was set for 3:30.

It's now 4:12 and it hasn't started yet.

Is it too much to ask for just a little effort to make this franchise seem like they're competent? At this point I feel like they should just continue cleaning house. Maybe some people in Marketing and IT need to go as well, who knows.

If it was my company, after being the laughing stock of the league for over a decade, I'd want to make sure we were doing everything to show we're turning the corner. That includes at least being prompt for our press conference that's already 3 weeks too late.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I’m taking Grant at 30M on a shorter contract over BI or George at 50M on longer contracts all day. As I’ve mentioned before, Omari was talking about a pick swap plus one secondary young guy (Grimes, Sasser) as possibly being enough.

That means you’re only eating about 20M of that, leaving you with 40M+ available to go after someone like Claxton and another 3 and D vet like KCP or Trent Jr. You can then re-sign Tek since he’s a restricted  

And you still have Ivey and Duren as tradeable assets for the right deal.

This would create a competent roster that can help Cade develop. It’s not the championship move, but you have to take steps forward and make the move before the move.

i dont want grant, bi, or paul george on the team.

i know beggars cant be choosers, but i dont know if any of those guys is great for cade.

if i have to pick one of then its george because he's a great #2 and i think you can get him for less years.  grant's contract is too long for me.  unless he comes with draft capital attached i'll pass.

i'd rather get tobias harris on a friendly cheap deal.  i'd rather take on assets to get dejounte murray.  i'd rather take assets and andrew wiggins.

this is the biggest flaw in dumb ass weaver's plan.  there are no good free agenta anymore and nobody is going to deal you quality for your cap space.

For what it's worth, the one semi-useful nugget of info from today's press conference was that Trajan wants to use the trade market (and therefore the cap space) to acquire players that can help now but also come with future assets.

Sounds like he wants to do what Weaver should've done years ago. Get ready for this rebuild to drag on a bit as they try to do it the right way this time. Also, get ready for Lavine or a similar sin contract that comes with some draft capital.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

For what it's worth, the one semi-useful nugget of info from today's press conference was that Trajan wants to use the trade market (and therefore the cap space) to acquire players that can help now but also come with future assets.

Sounds like he wants to do what Weaver should've done years ago. Get ready for this rebuild to drag on a bit as they try to do it the right way this time. Also, get ready for Lavine or a similar sin contract that comes with some draft capital.

this is what they should have been doing all along.  not dealing future firsts for isaiah stewart or saddiq bey for james wiseman.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Stewart was such a good trade. Outside of Cade he might be the only other rotation player we have. Well, Fontecchio looks decent as well.

it was such a good trade they've won the least amount of games in the league since it was made.

in the context of where the franchise was at the time and what it should be doing to move forward on a realistic timeline, sacrificing a first round pick for a role player at the beginning of a rebuild was not a smart trade.

hopefully langdon can maximize the value of a guy like stewart rather than waiting to trade him for two second round picks two years from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

it was such a good trade they've won the least amount of games in the league since it was made.

in the context of where the franchise was at the time and what it should be doing to move forward on a realistic timeline, sacrificing a first round pick for a role player at the beginning of a rebuild was not a smart trade.

hopefully langdon can maximize the value of a guy like stewart rather than waiting to trade him for two second round picks two years from now.

You might want to look at that years #7 pick to see a big reason they haven't won.

It was a good move because it immediately brought talent in for very little cost.  They still haven't given up a pick for him, and might not ever give up a first.  It is amazing value and something you do 100 times out of 100.  I was a bit concerned about not being able to trade future firsts, but once I learned you can do the pick swaps that concern went away.

After Cade, Stewart was the best draft pick of Weavers.  I get that is a low bar.  

19 hours ago, buddha said:

we used to get videos of andre doing the same thing.

Andre was never a competent free shooter and Jalen turned himself into one last year.  I am not betting big money on Duren's three point shooting but I would like to see where it goes.  Duren needs to expand his game more and more towards the perimeter as he develops. 

Edited by Hart

11 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I'm good with this.  I'd rather do this than overpay a free agent who we are going to want to unload in two years because we paid him way too much.  Which does feel inevitable to me at this point.   

15 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Perfectly fine strategy at the start of a rebuild.  Absolutely the wrong thing to do now.

Those types of players are not kept.  You trade for them and the picks and cut them.  But the Pistons would have to keep those guys because they no longer have endless cap space that you do at the start of a rebuild.  Cade is about to eat up $40M of your cap space.  Plus, you don't want Lavine around your young guys being Lavine.  What a horrible example he would set for those kids.  And playing with a player like that will hurt their growth.  Remember how Grant didn't work with Cade?  Times that by 10 with a guy like Lavine.

If he takes this route then Cade should be traded yesterday.  

9 hours ago, Hart said:

Andre was never a competent free shooter and Jalen turned himself into one last year.  I am not betting big money on Duren's three point shooting but I would like to see where it goes.  Duren needs to expand his game more and more towards the perimeter as he develops. 

i hope he does too.

i actually think duren has an outside chance of developing a jumper.  like you said, he's not a bad free throw shooter.  he's young.  the pistons just hired a "shot doctor."  i dont think its outside the realm of possibility he gets AT LEAST a passable midrange.

i think there's a better chance duren turns into a passable shooter than ausar.  ausar is broke.  he's tony allen.  

18 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Stewart was such a good trade. Outside of Cade he might be the only other rotation player we have. Well, Fontecchio looks decent as well.

I get where you're coming from, and for another team I'd agree. But for the Pistons at that time, it was a terrible move. Weaver should have been acquiring draft picks in the first year of his rebuild, not locking them up to bring in bench role players. That's even before we get into the discussion of whether or not he'd have been there at 19 anyway, not to mention the fact that he was picked before guys like Maxey and Bane.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Perfectly fine strategy at the start of a rebuild.  Absolutely the wrong thing to do now.

Those types of players are not kept.  You trade for them and the picks and cut them.  But the Pistons would have to keep those guys because they no longer have endless cap space that you do at the start of a rebuild.  Cade is about to eat up $40M of your cap space.  Plus, you don't want Lavine around your young guys being Lavine.  What a horrible example he would set for those kids.  And playing with a player like that will hurt their growth.  Remember how Grant didn't work with Cade?  Times that by 10 with a guy like Lavine.

If he takes this route then Cade should be traded yesterday.  

I think there's a world where they can take on some contract to acquire assets now and still improve with Cade before taking the next step in a year or two. Just improving to 30 games would be a massive leap and create an environment where you can truly evaluate these young guys.

First, I think there's probably a 75% chance they trade down in the draft based upon what Langdon said and what I've heard about them not working out many guys in the #5 range. That's one way to acquire future draft capital.

Then, in addition to Simmons and Lavine (who I do NOT want), Jack Kelly tweeted out a few names including Wiggins (3yrs/84M), Hardaway (1yr/16M), Hunter (3yrs/68M), Capela (1yr/22M), and Huerter (2yr/33M). I'd add Grant to that list as well.

Those guys can still contribute to your team even though they're on bloated contracts that their current teams need to shed. You could easily take on 1 (or even 2) of those contracts and still have the cap space to go after a free agent like Claxton or two lesser free agents.

So, while I agree that Lavine is a bad move, I think there's a way to use some of the cap and this year's draft pick to fill up the war chest while improving the team in the short term. Then in a year or two you can use those assets and some players to make a splash that will shoot you up the standings.