20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Perfectly fine strategy at the start of a rebuild.  Absolutely the wrong thing to do now.

Those types of players are not kept.  You trade for them and the picks and cut them.  But the Pistons would have to keep those guys because they no longer have endless cap space that you do at the start of a rebuild.  Cade is about to eat up $40M of your cap space.  Plus, you don't want Lavine around your young guys being Lavine.  What a horrible example he would set for those kids.  And playing with a player like that will hurt their growth.  Remember how Grant didn't work with Cade?  Times that by 10 with a guy like Lavine.

If he takes this route then Cade should be traded yesterday.  

i dont want them anywhere near lavine.  exactly the wrong type of player for this team.  he'll dominate the ball and pretend he's michael jordan.  and his contract is ridiculous and long.

i dont want jerami grant because of how he played the last time he was here.  towards the end he did whay he was told to do: stand in the corner and stretch the floor, but before that he tried to pretend this was "his team" and play hero ball all the time.  if he comes back i'd fear he would try that routine again since he's making $30m a year.  and that contract is also long.  no thanks.

wiggins is someone i would think about.  less money for less years, can play d, and has no problem deferring to cade for offense.

do you try for patrick williams?  be wary.  i watched him with the bulls be extremely passive for the past 3 years.  seemed intimidated by lavine, et al.  then again, he came out of his shell a bit after lavine was "injured" (aka butt hurt that everyone hated him and coby white stole his role).

speaking of coby white, that is the type of guy the pistons should be looking for this year.  someone ready to break out.  get em for cheap now.  is pwill that type of guy?  not so sure he has the cojones, but it might be an ok bet to make if the money isnt too high.

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont want them anywhere near lavine.  exactly the wrong type of player for this team.  he'll dominate the ball and pretend he's michael jordan.  and his contract is ridiculous and long.

i dont want jerami grant because of how he played the last time he was here.  towards the end he did whay he was told to do: stand in the corner and stretch the floor, but before that he tried to pretend this was "his team" and play hero ball all the time.  if he comes back i'd fear he would try that routine again since he's making $30m a year.  and that contract is also long.  no thanks.

wiggins is someone i would think about.  less money for less years, can play d, and has no problem deferring to cade for offense.

do you try for patrick williams?  be wary.  i watched him with the bulls be extremely passive for the past 3 years.  seemed intimidated by lavine, et al.  then again, he came out of his shell a bit after lavine was "injured" (aka butt hurt that everyone hated him and coby white stole his role).

speaking of coby white, that is the type of guy the pistons should be looking for this year.  someone ready to break out.  get em for cheap now.  is pwill that type of guy?  not so sure he has the cojones, but it might be an ok bet to make if the money isnt too high.

How is Williams on defense?  He shoots the three really well and his offense should improve playing with Cade.  Coby is a real nice player, but not a great distributor.  Williams offensive game might improve playing with a better passer like Cade.

I would take a gamble on him for the right money long term.  Or overpay for 2 years.  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

How is Williams on defense?  He shoots the three really well and his offense should improve playing with Cade.  Coby is a real nice player, but not a great distributor.  Williams offensive game might improve playing with a better passer like Cade.

I would take a gamble on him for the right money long term.  Or overpay for 2 years.  

he's got all the talent you want, its the "want to" that is missing.  that's what worries me about spending too much on him.

i'd take him at 2 years $30m rather than trade for grant.  unless grant comes with multiple #1s, which he wont.

but were talking about the cheap ass bulls here.  they have designs on keeping derozan, they will have to pay giddey, theyre still paying lonzo, and they cant move lavine.  throw enough money at pwill and the bulls will probably let him go.

How we could help Portland and Dallas.  Dallas is looking to dump THJ this summer.  

Dallas sends a 1st to Portland.  We take Green in with space.  Young guy, good shooter (38% from three this year), plays above average defense.  Kind of limited on offense, mostly catch and shoot, no drive really.  Contract is a bit large but not terrible. 6th man type.

Could also flip it and we take THJ and the pick, Portland gets Green.  I prefer the other way since the Mavs pick will be the lower third of the first round for years to come.

Hi36Qv9.png

7 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I'd rather have THJ and the pick. Hardaway is an expiring and we need to gather up some future picks for a deal (or another rebuild) down the line.

I would always take the 24 year old proven NBA player over a future pick.  Plus, a pick 5+ years from now does nothing for us.  

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I would always take the 24 year old proven NBA player over a future pick.  Plus, a pick 5+ years from now does nothing for us.  

Guess I'm just not that enamored with Green. I feel like there are a number of those guys available in every free agent market. I'd rather have a war chest of future picks to package for an All-Star in a year or two.

if youre following the okc/presti plan, then you accumulate as many future assets as possible and deal those assets for star players when you are ready to compete.

or, if youre the bulls (or del apparently) you trade an asset for a depreciating asset and NO future assets even though okc has so many...

just sayin.

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

if youre following the okc/presti plan, then you accumulate as many future assets as possible and deal those assets for star players when you are ready to compete.

or, if youre the bulls (or del apparently) you trade an asset for a depreciating asset and NO future assets even though okc has so many...

just sayin.

Presti acquired 90% of their assets in the year they blew it up.  Perfectly acceptable.  He didn't do it 5 years in when your star player is entering his 4th year.  That is dumb.  You don't stack future assets when you have your star player already and zero talent around him.  

If Langdon plans to do that.  Trade Cade now before he asks out and you can still get max value.  Trade Stew now and let all these other useless players see if they can develop into something since they have little value.  

Can you imagine going to Cade or your star player.  Hey man, we have zero talent around you but we are stacking some sweet future assets to use when you are on a different team in 3 years.  

29 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Presti acquired 90% of their assets in the year they blew it up.  Perfectly acceptable.  He didn't do it 5 years in when your star player is entering his 4th year.  That is dumb.  You don't stack future assets when you have your star player already and zero talent around him.  

If Langdon plans to do that.  Trade Cade now before he asks out and you can still get max value.  Trade Stew now and let all these other useless players see if they can develop into something since they have little value.  

Can you imagine going to Cade or your star player.  Hey man, we have zero talent around you but we are stacking some sweet future assets to use when you are on a different team in 3 years.  

can you imagine going to cade now and saying "hey, you're going to have to pass to isaiah stewart and ausar thompson from now on because, well, we drafted them and we have no choice, we cant trade for better players or future assets now!"

you get better players not through cap space, but by accumulating future assets and then trading them for better players.

or, you could spend salary cap space on the best free agents in the market OR trade for guys teams are willing to give away because they make too much money.  wiggins, lavine, KAT, dejounte murray, trae...

you keep saying how everyone else,'s ideas on how to improve the team suck, what would YOU do to improve the pistons?

Cade would probably say Stewart shoots 38% from three, so passing to him sounds good pretty good.  Oh, and he is one of the only guys on the team to actually play defense?  Still sounds good.

I'm not opposed to blowing it up and trying to acquire assets.  I'm against trying to do it with Cade.  If Langdon sold that to Gores we're ****ed.  

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Cade would probably say Stewart shoots 38% from three, so passing to him sounds good pretty good.  Oh, and he is one of the only guys on the team to actually play defense?  Still sounds good.

I'm not opposed to blowing it up and trying to acquire assets.  I'm against trying to do it with Cade.  If Langdon sold that to Gores we're ****ed.  

so who would you aquire to go along with perennial all star isaiah stewart?

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Hey man, we have zero talent around you but we are stacking some sweet future assets to use when you are on a different team in 3 years.  

This. I think Piston fans are much too sanguine about Cade re-upping. Sure it may cost him a little money to win his freedom sooner, but I find it hard to believe a quality player with the option isn't looking hard at getting out of the worst org and owner in the league as fast as he can.

Another thing that Pistons fans underestimate with Cade is his health.  He’s only played 64, 14, and 62 games in 3 seasons.  This is a giant potential issue going forward.   

I’m not sure what AA will do but he needs to put as much thought into trading him as he does extending him.  

one thing is for sure, whatever we do we cant trade our 6'8 floor spacer center who makes 1 three a game, plays 45 games a year, has a negative defensive rating, and makes the "naz reid" contract.

if we trade him we might as well blow the whole thing up.  lol.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:21 PM, buddha said:

i dont want grant, bi, or paul george on the team.

i know beggars cant be choosers, but i dont know if any of those guys is great for cade.

if i have to pick one of then its george because he's a great #2 and i think you can get him for less years.  grant's contract is too long for me.  unless he comes with draft capital attached i'll pass.

i'd rather get tobias harris on a friendly cheap deal.  i'd rather take on assets to get dejounte murray.  i'd rather take assets and andrew wiggins.

this is the biggest flaw in dumb ass weaver's plan.  there are no good free agenta anymore and nobody is going to deal you quality for your cap space.

If PG13 wants to come here, you take that and run. 

Grant I'm back and forth on. He has the skillset the Pistons need and I liked the way he swallowed his ego and allowed this to be Cade's team after Cade was drafted but that's a big contract for an aging player. I would have liked this idea if Grant was 2-3 years younger but he might be too old now.

If we are to take anything away from Langdon's press conference, I don't think we'll see any big adds this offseason. Could see more Burks type moves taking on draft capital for an overpaid player that you can plug into the lineup. Hopefully somebody more impactful than Burks but it seems like the plan isn't too different than Weaver's, continue building around this core with players that won't break the back to acquire or sign.

Edited by NYLion

Langdon is in a nice situation since the bar is so low.  

28 wins is a horrendous season for an NBA team.  Pathetic by all standards.  Yet, he’s an absolute star if he can hit this number which he should be able to do while he’s acquiring assets and draft picks for the future.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Langdon is in a nice situation since the bar is so low.  

28 wins is a horrendous season for an NBA team.  Pathetic by all standards.  Yet, he’s an absolute star if he can hit this number which he should be able to do while he’s acquiring assets and draft picks for the future.  

This is where I'm at. I'm not worried about Cade asking out.

If we can use some of our cap space to acquire guys on bloated contracts that can play and bring in future assets with them (Wiggins, Capella, etc), this team can easily double their win total (28). The following year, with any development from your youth you should be pushing for a play-in spot.

If the youth didn't develop, you're restarting anyway so it's good you got some assets. If they did develop and Cade took an SGA leap, then you can go get your co-star with those assets and some consolidation moves.