20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

That’s free agency these days.  Not sure I believe Detroit was ever going to pursue him with Trajan’s plans to acquire assets anyway.

I wouldn’t have minded him, but I’m kinda happy we aren’t spending money on a Center. 

but that was WEAVER'S plan.  as if any good player woulf ever hit free agency, as if any team would deal a superstar to get off a contract.

i hate troy weaver.

Giving up Grimes in this deal makes zero sense. 

I mean, the comparable was lined right up for Langdon. Three 2nds to take on Reggie Jackson who made less than half of what Hardaway is making. Should have been simple. This reeks of Weaver dumping Bruce Brown simply because he was from the old regime.

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Giving up Grimes in this deal makes zero sense. 

I mean, the comparable was lined right up for Langdon. Three 2nds to take on Reggie Jackson who made less than half of what Hardaway is making. Should have been simple. This reeks of Weaver dumping Bruce Brown simply because he was from the old regime.

Definitely feels like they could have demanded more, however the 2025 pick is from Toronto which should be a lot better than the 2025 Denver pick that Charlotte got.

Either way, the Pistons have a problem. They had 9 young guys in need of time and development and yet they need to bring in vets to surround these guys and create a real roster. Something has to give.

You can't go into the season with Cade, Ivey, Duren, Ausar, Stew, Holland, Grimes, Sasser, and Klintman. Even if Klintman is in the G-League, that's still 8 guys out of a 9 man rotation. Add Tek and there's your 9. It's also basically the same team that won 14 games last year and you have little room for some new vets. They were also up against paying Grimes at the end of the year or just losing him for nothing since he probably wasn't getting much court time to show out.

I'm actually expecting a little more house-cleaning before this is all over. Maybe Sasser and probably one of Ivey or Duren (maybe both) need to get moved. It's possible they wait until closer to the deadline to evaluate, but I just can't see them going through the whole year with all of these same, ill fitting players heading into extension eligibility for them and a good draft where they'll likely have a lottery pick for Trajan to bring in more of the guys he desires.

So as someone that has watched every THJ game the past few years, he sucks.  Can't (or wont) pass, cant drive, doesn't play any type of defense.  3-5 nights this season he will blow up and hang 40+, maybe even a 50 piece.  But the other nights you will absolutely hate him with a red hot passion.  As a bonus, his dad will bitch and moan about Detroit's coaches and/or players on social media and to any press that will listen.  He seriously tried to say the Mavs were better without Luka.

The Mavs have been attempting to trade him for years and nobody ever bit.  You might flip him for some seconds at the deadline as an expiring.  No contender will want him.  The Mavs benched him in the playoffs because he is so bad.

Giving up Grimes?  Look, I don't think he is that good.  But there was zero reason to trade him.  Dallas had to move THJ so they could keep DJJ.  Grimes will most likely have more value to a contender at the deadline than THJ will.  A guy who plays decent defense with a decent three ball on a small contract is very valuable to teams entering playoff runs.  Huge mistake to move him in this deal.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Definitely feels like they could have demanded more, however the 2025 pick is from Toronto which should be a lot better than the 2025 Denver pick that Charlotte got.

Either way, the Pistons have a problem. They had 9 young guys in need of time and development and yet they need to bring in vets to surround these guys and create a real roster. Something has to give.

You can't go into the season with Cade, Ivey, Duren, Ausar, Stew, Holland, Grimes, Sasser, and Klintman. Even if Klintman is in the G-League, that's still 8 guys out of a 9 man rotation. Add Tek and there's your 9. It's also basically the same team that won 14 games last year and you have little room for some new vets. They were also up against paying Grimes at the end of the year or just losing him for nothing since he probably wasn't getting much court time to show out.

I'm actually expecting a little more house-cleaning before this is all over. Maybe Sasser and probably one of Ivey or Duren (maybe both) need to get moved. It's possible they wait until closer to the deadline to evaluate, but I just can't see them going through the whole year with all of these same, ill fitting players heading into extension eligibility for them and a good draft where they'll likely have a lottery pick for Trajan to bring in more of the guys he desires.

But they are already losing Grimes for nothing, actually they lost him for a negative asset.

I look at it this way. Keeping Grimes was a no risk, modest reward situation. The potential reward is that he looks more like the version of 2-3 years ago and the Pistons have a nice young 3&D player to put into the rotation and you give him a nice little contract at the end of the season because all you have is cap space. On the other hand, if he continues to struggle shooting and/or is damaged goods unable to get healthy then you let him go for nothing just like they did today. There's no downside to seeing it though with him but there is some potential upside.

In terms of roster clutter, I'm assuming that some of that will be fleshed out anyway with the new guy wanting his players inserted into the lineup and a guy like Klintman is likely nowhere near an NBA lineup next season so I don't think there would have been a problem fitting in Grimes for an evaluation year. Langdon moved an asset for a contract dump, it's kind of crazy when you think about it.

Edited by NYLion

39 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

This is probably a dumb question, but do NBA teams trade first round picks for multiple second round picks often?  I was kinda surprised to see that that was the goal with the trade, but I also am NBA-illiterate so I apologize in advance for my stupidity.

if they want to cut salary they do.

the pistons did it last year when they traded up for sasser, iirc.

• Like 2

This is bad situation...as bad as anything I've seen in decades of Detroit sports.  The roster is a shambles...we keep getting screwed in the lottery and we compound that by picking guys who can't shoot when the modern game dictates that you build around shooting.  I don't see this getting any better any time soon 

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

So as someone that has watched every THJ game the past few years, he sucks.  Can't (or wont) pass, cant drive, doesn't play any type of defense.  3-5 nights this season he will blow up and hang 40+, maybe even a 50 piece.  But the other nights you will absolutely hate him with a red hot passion. 

So, he's Alec Burks.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

But they are already losing Grimes for nothing, actually they lost him for a negative asset.

I look at it this way. Keeping Grimes was a no risk, modest reward situation. The potential reward is that he looks more like the version of 2-3 years ago and the Pistons have a nice young 3&D player to put into the rotation and you give him a nice little contract at the end of the season because all you have is cap space. On the other hand, if he continues to struggle shooting and/or is damaged goods unable to get healthy then you let him go for nothing just like they did today. There's no downside to seeing it though with him but there is some potential upside.

In terms of roster clutter, I'm assuming that some of that will be fleshed out anyway with the new guy wanting his players inserted into the lineup and a guy like Klintman is likely nowhere near an NBA lineup next season so I don't think there would have been a problem fitting in Grimes for an evaluation year. Langdon moved an asset for a contract dump, it's kind of crazy when you think about it.

3 second rounders, including Toronto's which will likely be in the 30s in a stacked draft is not a "negative asset". And, as was mentioned by Buddha, we've already seen the Pistons use two 2nd to get a 1st. So, if you do the math you could argue they got a late 1st and a second out of the deal. I understand arguing that they could've gotten a little more based upon the Reggie Jackson trade, but honestly THJ is worth more than the desiccated corpse of Reggie Jackson.

Pistons fans are out here acting like Grimes is something special. Vinson only has so much time. Maybe he can shoot,  maybe not. Either way, he's struggled to stay on the court enough in his career to prove it. Wound up in the doghouse in NY and we also have no idea if he even wanted to be here which does play a part in building a good locker room.

In the end, this move is a bit of a "who cares". They traded the 9th guy on the bench for another 9th guy on the bench and a little cap space and got 3 second round picks out of the deal.