20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

3 second rounders, including Toronto's which will likely be in the 30s in a stacked draft is not a "negative asset". And, as was mentioned by Buddha, we've already seen the Pistons use two 2nd to get a 1st. So, if you do the math you could argue they got a late 1st and a second out of the deal. I understand arguing that they could've gotten a little more based upon the Reggie Jackson trade, but honestly THJ is worth more than the desiccated corpse of Reggie Jackson.

Pistons fans are out here acting like Grimes is something special. Vinson only has so much time. Maybe he can shoot,  maybe not. Either way, he's struggled to stay on the court enough in his career to prove it. Wound up in the doghouse in NY and we also have no idea if he even wanted to be here which does play a part in building a good locker room.

In the end, this move is a bit of a "who cares". They traded the 9th guy on the bench for another 9th guy on the bench and a little cap space and got 3 second round picks out of the deal.

The three 2nds are fine, Hardaway is fine. I'd have no problem with the trade and would actually kinda like it if it was just the three 2nd+Hardaway just like the Hornets did with Reggie Jackson, Hardaway might be a bit better currently but he's also has a significantly bigger salary. There really was no reason to include Grimes, it's like Langdon just threw Grimes in there for the hell of it because...eww it's a Troy Weaver player so lets just give him outta here similar to what Weaver did with Bruce Brown. Like I said before, the comparable was right there for Langdon to point at in the negotiation, a trade that happened two days before so it should have been an easy negotiation to do Dallas a pretty big favor.

Edited by NYLion

58 minutes ago, NYLion said:

There really was no reason to include Grimes, it's like Langdon just threw Grimes in there for the hell of it because...eww it's a Troy Weaver player so lets just give him outta here similar to what Weaver did with Bruce Brown. 

This is the first guy Langdon has moved, so I don't see how we can come to the conclusion that it was because he was a "Weaver guy". By that logic, he's got about 9 more guys to move.

However, I have heard some comments on Pistons podcasts about Grimes not wanting to be here, so maybe that's part of it. He certainly didn't look like he wanted to play for us last year. I don't blame him, just saying that might be part of why they felt they needed to move him.

to del's point, if youre not going to try to build around cade, then just trade cade and get an absolute haul of picks to help rebuild the team.

they got thj for 3 second round picks and then watched the mavs use that move to sign a wing who defends and shoots 3s.  ummm....you couldnt beat that contract?