20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

JEiii with his first kiss ass trajan article of the year.

he's so patient.  he signed solid pros.  he didnt spend all of their cap space like some people would have done.

its very funny considering he used to kiss troy weaver's ass too.  maybe this will lead to some articles about how the pistons just need X player to come back from injury and it will all be good, just like he used to write all the time about....checks notes...

isaiah livers.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

that starting lineup would give up 40 points a quarter.

but youre right, they would score more than last year.

The defense last year gave up 40 point quarters numerous times.  So, hey, improvement.

I couldn't wait until Burks was off the team and I had a few months reprieve until they added two Burks this offseason. The Beasley deal screams of Langdon signing somebody just for the sake of signing somebody, it's roster filler so fine I guess. The Fontecchio contract is nice, a player that can shoot and also play some defense unlike the two Burks they added.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

JEiii with his first kiss ass trajan article of the year.

he's so patient.  he signed solid pros.  he didnt spend all of their cap space like some people would have done.

its very funny considering he used to kiss troy weaver's ass too.  maybe this will lead to some articles about how the pistons just need X player to come back from injury and it will all be good, just like he used to write all the time about....checks notes...

isaiah livers.

Hilarious. Two pros who can't play a lick of defense and he sin-ate one of those contracts to get a bunch of meh 2nds and had to give up a promising young player to help Dallas sign other guys.

The Fontecchio contract was his first good move of the offseason. The other stuff is a bunch of nothing, but I didn't expect much this offseason anyway so it is what it is. The team goes as this core goes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Hilarious. Two pros who can't play a lick of defense and he sin-ate one of those contracts to get a bunch of meh 2nds and had to give up a promising young player to help Dallas sign other guys.

The Fontecchio contract was his first good move of the offseason. The other stuff is a bunch of nothing, but I didn't expect much this offseason anyway so it is what it is. The team goes as this core goes.

they'll win 28 games and he'll write an article about the MASSIVE improvement and doubling their win total.

I’ll contend that defense doesn’t matter for a team that is not anywhere close to playoff contention.   Scoring points is much more important.   They can worry about having too many guys that don’t play defense in three years when they are hopefully ready to challenge for the play in tourney.  

On 7/6/2024 at 9:12 PM, NYLion said:

I couldn't wait until Burks was off the team and I had a few months reprieve until they added two Burks this offseason. The Beasley deal screams of Langdon signing somebody just for the sake of signing somebody, it's roster filler so fine I guess. The Fontecchio contract is nice, a player that can shoot and also play some defense unlike the two Burks they added.

-41% overall on threes
-43% on catch and shoot threes
-40% on guarded catch and shoot
-47% on open threes
-95th percentile as shooter in the NBA last season

-Less than 1 turnover per game
-Played 79 games and started in 77 of them for a playoff bound team

No, he 's not a defender, but that Beasley deal for 6M is an absolute score for Langdon. 

I realize this team has been garbage for a while now and so we're all jaded, but so far the offseason has been solid. They've acquired multiple vets who provide spacing, have low turnovers, and are durable. Those were 3 of the 4 major issues from last season. Yes, defense is still a concern but you aren't solving all the problems of a 14 win team in one off-season.

In regards to Tobias, why does the discourse always have to be either:
A) He sucks!
B) He's an All-Star!

Everyone who chooses option A loves to use the tiny sample size of his 6 playoff games from 2024. What about the 2023 playoffs where he averaged 15 and 7 on 52/37/87 splits in 11 games? What about the entire 2024 season when he averaged 17, 6.5, and 3.1 on  49/35/88 and played in 70 games? No, he's not an elite shooter, but he shoots it well enough to have gravity and his Synergy rank is Above Average to Very Good at every facet of scoring.

He's also not an All-Star and anyone who expected us to attract an All-Star hasn't been paying attention. Tobias is a solid vet and a legitimate starter at a position of need on a short contract. He's exactly the type of player this team needs to raise the floor and start to rebuild it's reputation. Solid pickup for a 14 win team that no free agent in their right mind wants to come to.

Again, these vets are all transitional players. If the youngsters don't pan out then we're back into a full rebuild. If they do, then you've surrounded them with solid players to help them develop.

7 hours ago, Betrayer said:

-41% overall on threes
-43% on catch and shoot threes
-40% on guarded catch and shoot
-47% on open threes
-95th percentile as shooter in the NBA last season

-Less than 1 turnover per game
-Played 79 games and started in 77 of them for a playoff bound team

No, he 's not a defender, but that Beasley deal for 6M is an absolute score for Langdon. 

I realize this team has been garbage for a while now and so we're all jaded, but so far the offseason has been solid. They've acquired multiple vets who provide spacing, have low turnovers, and are durable. Those were 3 of the 4 major issues from last season. Yes, defense is still a concern but you aren't solving all the problems of a 14 win team in one off-season.

It's an ok deal, no issue with the price, but these two guys are the new Bogey and Burks. They'll get some buckets from time to time but they'll give just as much back defensively if not more. They're fine but these are roster filler players, it's nothing to be celebrated IMO. Not criticizing Langdon necessarily because he got dealt a really bad hand into one of the worst situations in the league but these are Weaver type moves tbh.

Woj reporting that Cade and the pistons have agreed to a max contract extension. 

Low end will be roughly $220M high end is $270M if he qualifies for the supermax.

Those are just guesses. He will make either 25% of next summers salary cap or 30% if he qualifies.

55 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I just watched a 28 minute twitter video of Duran playing some of the worst defense I've ever seen so any center depth seems like a great idea lol

I have heard rumors about that video.

30 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

So Langdon is tanking for Flagg, right? 

Or he saw what Monty got and figures he can get the same. 

This summer has been bad.

unless flagg drops to #5, i have bad news for trajan...

• Haha 2

Enjoyed the presser, Bickerstaff had a good energy and went into details about the players and certain strategies. Monty didn't seem to know much about the team and he went on about how the money was too good to pass up, it doesn't mean much if Bickerstaff can't coach but it was a good first impression at least.

Late comment on the Reed signing. I really like it, the Pistons badly needed another big and this one actually plays defense and is young enough to maybe have a little more offensive upside. 

• Like 1