20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

remember all the beat writers telling us for years that the pistons were in a great position to add talent because they had cap space and teams would have to unload good players to stay below the apron/second apron/cap/whatever?

yeah, we got tobias harris and tim hardaway jr out of it.

four years of the worst basketball in franchise history to overpay tobias harris and trade a young player for tim hardaway jr.

57 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, you weren’t expecting them to sign stars like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva were you?

i wasnt expecting them to sign anyone, i was expecting them to use their cap space to get assets.  but they didnt even meet that small bar.

yet.  there is still time and its possible they hold on to the space and use it to facilitate trades later in the year.

i do remember being excited about ben gordon which always serves as a good reminder that i am dumb.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

remember all the beat writers telling us for years that the pistons were in a great position to add talent because they had cap space and teams would have to unload good players to stay below the apron/second apron/cap/whatever?

yeah, we got tobias harris and tim hardaway jr out of it.

four years of the worst basketball in franchise history to overpay tobias harris and trade a young player for tim hardaway jr.

Did you expect more? This offseason is about what I expected, they weren't adding a savior. Maybe they could have sin-ate more but would you want to blow up your cap space for the next several years and slow the offense to a crawil to get a 1st for Lavine? Not me.

It's been said many times, the Pistons fate will largely lie with this core. They'll need to supplement the core with a better supporting cast eventually but these are the guys the Pistons are riding with. If you look at most of the contenders in recent years, they're mostly driven by their drafted players and then trades were made to bring in strong support players once they started contending.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The lack of secondary ball handlers is frightening.  Who are you giving the ball to if not Cade?  

People will still say Ivey should be a PG.  But he is a total disaster with the ball in his hands.  

There should be lots of frightening parts and total disaster pieces on a team with O/U win total of 24.5.   They are expected to lose 70% of their games.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The lack of secondary ball handlers is frightening.  Who are you giving the ball to if not Cade?  

People will still say Ivey should be a PG.  But he is a total disaster with the ball in his hands.  

Totally agree. This is the biggest remaining hole in the roster. They have no backup PG after Cade (or for when Cade misses 20 games). Ivey ain't it. Sasser is an even worse choice.

I have to imagine they have another move coming. They still have cap space to help facilitate a trade.

17 hours ago, Deleterious said:

My early session prediction. 

Bad enough to not even sniff a playin game. But good enough to end up picking 9th and miss out on the talented top of the draft.

The 9th worst team last year had 32 wins.

After winning just 14 games last year and not topping the 23 win mark for the past 5 years, 32 would be a smashing success. It would also mean that Cade (and probably 1 other youngster) has taken a significant step forward.

If you can't win 32 games in year 5 of a rebuild then you need to start over.  That means you have no core, not a lot of young talent, and not much hope.  

Trying to sign/trade for guys who are way past their prime to prop this thing up was a massive mistake.  

Just now, Deleterious said:

If you can't win 32 games in year 5 of a rebuild then you need to start over.  That means you have no core, not a lot of young talent, and not much hope.  

Trying to sign/trade for guys who are way past their prime to prop this thing up was a massive mistake.  

if youre in year 5 of a rebuild and you only have ONE player who could bring you back significant assets you have failed tremendously.

but we all know this was a tremendous failure.  even if they win 35 games this year the rebuild is a tremendous failure.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Cade play with real NBA rotation players rather than going out to play Capture the Flagg only to get the 5th pick again anyway.

They've simply built a roster that has some NBA players in it, unlike the past few years. That's how you create an environment for young players to develop and be evaluated. All of the vets are short contracts as well, so they can make way for the youth movement if they develop, or you can move on to the next rebuild if not.

People at The Athletic actually talking about Hardaway and Beasley taking minutes from Ivey.

I don't think people understand just how bad THJ was the last 3 months of the season.  He was relegated to a backup role because he was so bad.  It is probably no coincidence once moved to the bench that Dallas played some of their best ball of the season.  They had a 16 or 17 game win streak in that time.  Although, adding Gafford and Washington were big reasons for that.

The final 3 months Hardaway had a TS% of 47, 49, and 46.  You usually want to see 55% from an average player.  

Beasley is a nice shooter but extremely one dimensional.  After shooting  he doesn't do much else.  

If Ivey is losing minutes to those guys then it is an even bigger mistake not to start the next rebuild right now.