4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

7 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Here’s the part of the interview that he mentions pardoning Trump. It would have been a political calculation.

Accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt. If there was a condition that Trump would drop out of the race and retire quietly to Florida or wherever and stay out of the limelight yes. 

In that same scenario Biden would probably not run for a second term.

Neither is going to happen in the real world of 2024

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

Yeah, the solidarity of the crazies isn't the endorsement that Trump thinks it might be.  

Boebert & Gaetz have to be two Congress persons that have the biggest sleaze/ick factor of them all…. and to think the optics of those two sitting behind the defendant is going to play well with the jury, no matter what their political makeup, is the stupidest move imaginable.  How idiotic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Biden can pardon Trump for the crimes the DOJ is charging Trump with like Ford did with Nixon. 

**** was never charged with a crime. Pardons can be blankets for the future.

• Like 1

Ford had researchers look into the pardon functionality and once he got confirmation that acceptence of a pardon was admission of guilt he moved forward.  

The whole idea that he "made a deal" is hogwash.  Ford didn't need to make a deal.  He was going to become POTUS.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Ford had researchers look into the pardon functionality and once he got confirmation that acceptence of a pardon was admission of guilt he moved forward.  

The whole idea that he "made a deal" is hogwash.  Ford didn't need to make a deal.  He was going to become POTUS.

Maybe the deal was less about actually becoming President and more about not drowning his presidency in Nixon's prosecution.

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the deal was less about actually becoming President and more about not drowning his presidency in Nixon's prosecution.

I think he'd have been fine with the prosecutions going forward if it wasn't what everybody wanted to talk about.  He had some big problems to solve but his first few press conferences were nothing but Nixon talk.

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think he'd have been fine with the prosecutions going forward if it wasn't what everybody wanted to talk about.  He had some big problems to solve but his first few press conferences were nothing but Nixon talk.

I didn't articulate my thoughts quite exactly but that's basically what I meant. Ford and his advisors may have concluded that prosecutions would have overshadowed his entire presidency and would definitely have cost him the election (which it ended up doing anyway), and he would have to weigh in on it every single day, because as you say it would have been all anyone would have wanted to talk about. Instead, Ford thought it better to rip off the band-aid, pardon Nixon, take the immediate blowback, and get it over with so he could move on to some semblance of a normal presidency, which, of course, could never be because it was still overshadowed by Tricky ****—as well it should have been.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't articulate my thoughts quite exactly but that's basically what I meant. Ford and his advisors may have concluded that prosecutions would have overshadowed his entire presidency and would definitely have cost him the election (which it ended up doing anyway), and he would have to weigh in on it every single day, because as you say it would have been all anyone would have wanted to talk about. Instead, Ford thought it better to rip off the band-aid, pardon Nixon, take the immediate blowback, and get it over with so he could move on to some semblance of a normal presidency, which, of course, could never be because it was still overshadowed by Tricky ****—as well it should have been.

Yep.  That "sacrifice" led to him receiving the JFK Profile in Courage award, presented by Ted Kennedy, who pointed out how critical he was at the time of him doing it.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We all do it, but maybe we give Watergate too much credit for the outcome  in '76. It was going to be a tough climb for Ford anyway. Carter was the more appealing personality and much better in front of the cameras - stagflation was already setting in. If Ford hadn't carried MI as a favorite son, which another Repub probably would not have, Carter gets 318 EV.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

We all do it, but maybe we give Watergate too much credit for the outcome  in '76. It was going to be a tough climb for Ford anyway. Carter was the more appealing personality and much better in front of the cameras - stagflation was already setting in. If Ford hadn't carried MI as a favorite son, which another Repub probably would not have, Carter gets 318 EV.

Pretty much all of this. While the pardon did play a small part in my decision nearly 50 years ago as a 24 year old, gimmicks like WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons, the after effects of the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973 and '74 also played a role. 

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Counterpoint, FWIW:

https://digitalcommons.lasalle.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1107&context=the_histories

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The other big single event that hurt Ford a LOT was the 'Poland is a free country' slip (not be the exact syntax but is was along that line). That was a pretty serious error at the point were the cold war was still pretty frigid and it wasn't just a misspoken word - there was a thought there but it so muddled and poorly executed it had to make you wonder.

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other big single event that hurt Ford a LOT was the 'Poland is a free country' slip (not be the exact syntax but is was along that line). That was a pretty serious error at the point were the cold war was still pretty frigid and it wasn't just a misspoken word - there was a thought there but it so muddled and poorly executed it had to make you wonder.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:25 AM, romad1 said:

There is no reason to pardon Trump for anything.  I'm not a Republican Senator in a Republican state so I don't have the baggage that Romney has. 

One thing he proposed that has the govies upset is a mandate that no Federal employee can do more than 40% telework.  My wife worries it will kill the fed's ability to compete for talent.   As a guy who can't do any of his work outside of the office it amuses me.  I do prefer she's home when i get home though. 

I see our Governor is onboard with requiring government employees back to the office. Not to improve efficiency but to boost ridership on the Metro

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/virginia/virginia-governor-federal-workers-biden/65-673a8204-fb6c-46c9-8ca6-9dbc2178b879

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin is calling on the Biden administration to bring back in-person work for federal employees. Back in December, Youngkin wrote a letter to the Office of Personnel Management urging the administration to mandate and enforce a full return-to-work policy in an effort to boost Metro's ridership. Now he's asking again.

"Let me just be clear, I think one of the top priorities is to get Joe Biden to bring back the federal workforce so that the ridership returns to Metro," Youngkin said. "It's such a big part of Metro ridership — folks who live in Virginia commuting into D.C. He's got to get them back to work."

Youngkin said he has also spoken with Metro General Manager Randy Clarke about conducting a comprehensive review of Metro's cost structure.

"I think they understand the merits of that," Youngkin said.

The governor is not the only one pushing for a return to work for federal workers. D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has issued similar calls as well.