4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

pretty sure this is settled NY state case law. Little bit like felony murder. if you are the getaway driver and your dumb ass brother in law kills the store clerk, you can be charged with murder. Like Trump, it is the combination of crimes that really ups the ante

Thanks, I also did hear on a legal podcast that within the past hour it was consistent with state law.   

The one beauty here is that throughout his career Trump has leveraged the slow movement of the Judicial system to defeat and frustrate his victims, but this case it's going to work against him. Now that he is convicted, he will remain convicted for the foreseeable future, and there is nothing he will be able to do before Nov to change that, even if he were to find some issue with merit to appeal over.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even Colin Cowherd gets it. 

He's right. This country has many problems (even with inflation metrics easing, I understand why people are frustrated for instance)... but it's not a hellhole. That's not what I see when  I walk out the door everyday, it's not what I see in my day to day life with a job that takes me to a number of different types of areas in and around a city (Chicago) that these folks all reflexively hate.

At some point, one starts to wonder whether Trump or his associates, who use their platform to air this stuff, actually love the country. I honestly don't know... if they did, maybe they would focus their rhetoric on building it up versus just tearing it down 

Edited by mtutiger

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

At some point, one starts to wonder whether Trump or his associates, who use their platform to air this stuff, actually love the country. I honestly don't know... if they did, maybe they would focus their rhetoric on building it up versus just tearing it down 

No, that's just exactly it, they love nothing but themselves, their own wealth, their own prerogatives. They're people for whom enough is never enough, and whether the world burns bothers them not as long as it's burning somewhere they don't have a beach house. The parallels to the French Ancien Regime would be apt. And with any luck their fates will be similar, at least metaphorically if not physically.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

He's right. This country has many problems (even with inflation metrics easing, I understand why people are frustrated for instance)... but it's not a hellhole. That's not what I see when  I walk out the door everyday, it's not what I see in my day to day life with a job that takes me to a number of different types of areas in and around a city (Chicago) that these folks all reflexively hate.

America is a great place to live. It has problems but it has always had problems.  All the the typical  issues - economics, domestic policy, foreign policy are no worse today than they have ever been.  The new problem is that everybody hates each other and won't cooperate and that is excerbated (or even created) by the same nut jobs who are trying to convince everyone that the United States is a hellhole.     

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

America is a great place to live. It has problems but it has always had problems.  All the the typical  issues - economics, domestic policy, foreign policy are no worse today than they have ever been.  The new problem is that everybody hates each other and won't cooperate and that is excerbated (or even created) by the same nut jobs who are trying to convince everyone that the United States is a hellhole.     

The small group of silent partners who control every aspect of our lives and keep throwing these divisive wedge issues at us to get us to fight with each other so we won't notice how they are constantly passing laws to screw us and help themselves.  These are people who are beyond Republican/Democrat and they control much of the media.     An example is - no bankers went to jail for what they did that led up to 2008.    Iceland threw their bankers in jail for doing pretty much the same thing.    

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The small group of silent partners who control every aspect of our lives and keep throwing these divisive wedge issues at us to get us to fight with each other so we won't notice how they are constantly passing laws to screw us and help themselves.  These are people who are beyond Republican/Democrat and they control much of the media.     An example is - no bankers went to jail for what they did that led up to 2008.    Iceland threw their bankers in jail for doing pretty much the same thing.    

Correct!  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

No, that's just exactly it, they love nothing but themselves, their own wealth, their own prerogatives. They're people for whom enough is never enough, and whether the world burns bothers them not as long as it's burning somewhere they don't have a beach house.

And, though our media ecosystem, they lead us collectively around by the nose and convince us all that we are reliving the Great Depression. It's incredible.

It's incredibly cynical, but unfortunately, we collectively are all marks apparently. 

Edited by mtutiger

As an example. I saw someone get a quote for some work on the house that was very high. I’m sure it was an anomaly.  But they blamed Biden.  And they will wait until after the election since I guess they think Trump will lower prices. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

And, though our media ecosystem, they lead us collectively around by the nose and convince us all that we are reliving the Great Depression. It's incredible.

It's incredibly cynical, but unfortunately, we collectively are all marks apparently. 

It’s the old axiom: When you know there’s a con, and you don’t see the mark, you are the mark. 

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'm pretty sure I have friends who made investment decisions based on the Unified Reich narrative about the economy.   I couldn't imagine missing out on record high markets b/c the Unified Reich predicted there would be a crash/recession. 

Posted (edited)

Here's the thing about the whole "hate America" argument though and why it fails for Democrats as a weapon against Republicans, many on the left hate this country too. Ask someone on the left what the best country in the world is and I bet you'll get very few to say America. You'll get a range of answers from Canada to Cuba to Finland to one of the Scandinavian countries to Uruguay. Heck, I certainly wouldn't say the USA myself. I'd probably agree with my progressive and left peers and answer either Canada, Denmark, or Finland. 

The left hates America for all sorts of reasons: from early colonialists stealing of land of native peoples and giving them blankets laced with small pox to our history of slavery and Jim Crow to the fact that we don't provide universal healthcare.

So MAGA may hate America, but take a look at any protest with a majority left of center people at it, there aren't many flag waving, overly patriotic types at these events. And so the rights hatred of America, disguised as hyper patriotism, often wins out based on the way the media covers the left in this country. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Here's the thing about the whole "hate America" argument though and why it fails for Democrats as a weapon against Republicans, many on the left hate this country too. Ask someone on the left what the best country in the world is and I bet you'll get very few to say America. You'll get a range of answers from Canada to Cuba to Finland to one of the Scandinavian countries to Uruguay. Heck, I certainly wouldn't say the USA myself. I'd probably agree with my progressive and left peers and answer either Canada, Denmark, or Finland. 

The left hates America for all sorts of reasons: from early colonialists stealing of land of native peoples and giving them blankets laced with small pox to our history of slavery and Jim Crow to the fact that we don't provide universal healthcare.

So MAGA may hate America, but take a look at any protest with a majority left of center people at it, there aren't many flag waving, overly patriotic types at these events. And so the rights hatred of America, disguised as hyper patriotism, often wins out based on the way the media covers the left in this country. 

Okay, hold on a minute.   I'm a lefty and I love my country, that doesn't involve just blindly saying we're right all the time.  I think the IDEA of America would make it the best country, but it's a con.   We could be so much better.   And it isn't all the fault of the leaders and controllers - we've become intellectually lazy as a society.   It's why we got Trump vs. Biden in 2020.  They were the most famous already and that's it.   It's why Jesse Ventura and Arnold won elections.   We get what we deserve there.  And thanks to the internet, that trend is not going to turn around.  People learn about the world in the span of 300 characters at a time instead of getting to the heart of things and get a deeper meaning.   People protest something because they believe it's worth fighting for.   That's not hate.   It turns to hate when that protest turns to violence.         We could be so much better.  It's all right here.  We have the resources, infrastructure and climate to accomplish anything, but our own ignorance, greed and vanity keep getting in our own way.   Those are the things the power brokers set in motion and we keep falling for it.   If we stopped fighting over dumb little things and stopped and saw what they were doing to us, we might actually unite on some levels and change things for the better.    But we can't even significantly change gun laws when 20 first graders get murdered at school  (At least the Oakland Country prosecutors said "enough').   

And you show me someone who goes around waving a flag all the time and probably 7 times out of 10 they're a phony, trying to sell you something.   That's not patriotism.   Putting flags on t-shirts and soda cans is not patriotism, it's salesmanship AND A VIOLATION OF FLAG CODE.  If someone has to point out to you how patriotic they are, they're covering up something else.  Like Christians who have to tell you all the time they are Christians,  when their actions should signify it without explanation.   That heathen rock star Dave Grohl goes down and cooks for the homeless several times a month when he's not touring.  That's more Christian than anything Joel Osteen does. 

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson, 1775.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pfife said:

I'm pretty sure I have friends who made investment decisions based on the Unified Reich narrative about the economy.   I couldn't imagine missing out on record high markets b/c the Unified Reich predicted there would be a crash/recession. 

They did that all throughout the Obama presidencies too and the market was outstanding during that time.  

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I can't speak for others, but I love this country. Even with all of it's flaws and the negative parts of this history.

The "left", as it were, cedes a lot of ground when they aren't able to balance love of country with the idea that one can love the country while acknowledging the past and while pushing the country to continue improving.

Leftists are out here having protests and playing in traffic in support of terrorists. They think the US is complicit in a genocide that doesn't even exists. They tell us constantly they want to burn it all down.. They think everything bad that happens in the world is because of the US. They're just as bad as MAGA. There's just a lot fewer of them. 

The “Left” is not some homogeneous group that can be pigeonholed as some here keep attempting. Lots of folks in the left are patriotic, they just value the Constitution and Bill of Rights without all the play-acting that has been just mentioned. Sure, quite a few nutjobs the closer you get to the fringes (as in any large group), but on the whole I don’t see it. Define the character of the group you belong to and temper the urge to paint the others with a broad brush. Except MAGAs, screw them 😀.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2