4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was out walking one of the dogs yesterday and a neighbor down the street grandson played travel ball with my son and was workjing in the yard. So I stopped and chatted with him for a few minutes. He goes on this rant how Trump isn't Jesus but he was hand picked by God and he is being crucified like him.... I was like yeah, ok I'm gonna keep walking now. I come back at the end of my walk and he has a paper for me with how you can send money to help Trump and that he is donating ACH on a weekly basis unit the election.

The guy is super smart and is an engineer at Raytheon. I just don't get how they are so brainwashed......

Ben Carson is a Neurosurgeon with an MD from UofM and a BA from Yale and he believes that Joseph built the Egyptian Pyramids to use as silos to store grain.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was out walking one of the dogs yesterday and a neighbor down the street grandson played travel ball with my son and was workjing in the yard. So I stopped and chatted with him for a few minutes. He goes on this rant how Trump isn't Jesus but he was hand picked by God and he is being crucified like him.... I was like yeah, ok I'm gonna keep walking now. I come back at the end of my walk and he has a paper for me with how you can send money to help Trump and that he is donating ACH on a weekly basis unit the election.

The guy is super smart and is an engineer at Raytheon. I just don't get how they are so brainwashed......

He's not that smart.  He might know engineering but that isn't the same thing as an education.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, romad1 said:

He's not that smart.  He might know engineering but that isn't the same thing as an education.

No doubt but the dude is loaded. His house is valued at 1.5 mill on zillow. I just don't get how these guys go so far down the rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

It's pretty easy to for a techinically oriented person to silo themselves. They stop paying serious attentions to the 'outside' world, or never had the habit in the first place, then along comes some half baked idea that has a certain logic to it, maybe there is some kind of analogous  logic from something in their field and they go right off the deep end with it exactly because they never had developed solid intellectual habits around following current events.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's pretty easy to for a techinically oriented person to silo themselves. They stop paying serious attentions to the 'outside' world, or never had the habit in the first place, then along comes some half baked idea that has a certain logic to it, maybe there is some kind of analogous  logic from something in their field and they go right off the deep end with it exactly because they never had developed solid intellectual habits around following current events.

Critical thinking ain’t easy.  Or, as George Orwell would say To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle. 

my nice, senior, catholic neighbors are hardcore Republicans and hate Trump and won't vote for him, but they do say weird Fox stuff (Crossfire Hurricane; apology tour; dementia) every now and then about Biden and Obama.

7 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I think maybe a lot of it has to do with, they "learned" something that's counter to the conventional wisdom they put their faith in and are now being told to be disappointed with, and they think they now know things about the world nobody else does, and that they're the ones with clear vision, and that we're the ones being brainwashed by the MSM, when all the while all that's really happening is that all their ugliest retrograde beliefs are begin confirmed out loud, out proud, and in front of a whole world that chastised them for still having those beliefs. Basically, they're getting fluffed and it feels too good to stop.

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No doubt but the dude is loaded. His house is valued at 1.5 mill on zillow. I just don't get how these guys go so far down the rabbit hole.

He might be loaded but that doesn't mean he's either smart or educated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's probably true of anyone who devotes their lives to a single vocation or profession, to the exclusion of becoming a well-rounded, self-actualized person. In fact, I might hypothesize it's a common way someone who has profound social deficits deals with those deficiencies, by avoiding social situations they can't even begin to master and instead throwing themselves into becoming an expert in something as a solitary pursuit. Sometimes it's something innocuous and time-wasting like studying baseball. Other times it's something that's actually results in a lucrative high-revenue-producing career, like becoming a Supreme Court Justice. Either way, they are still siloed from the world and live with their heads way, way up their asses.

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Don't sleep on social media & youtube algorithms 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chasfh said:

He might be loaded but that doesn't mean he's either smart or educated.

Yeah I did not mean wealth equals smart for sure. You would just think if you can make good financial decisions you would be rational. But here we are.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yeah I did not mean wealth equals smart for sure. You would just think if you can make good financial decisions you would be rational. But here we are.

Maybe making smart financial decisions is a little like being able to do math in your head, but you still can't reason your way out of a wet paper bag.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe making smart financial decisions is a little like being able to do math in your head, but you still can't reason your way out of a wet paper bag.

The big hits are often just so much luck though. One of my student aids was a gamer with high level video horsepower. He started mining bitcoin almost at its origin and had something like a dozen. He wasn’t investing, he was just playing around. He kept them for a while then sold them on a lark. If he had kept them he’d have started out life with an investment stake big enough insure easy investing from then on. It was a completely random decision made when there was no accurate way to see the future. If he had kept them and made his stake it would have the equivalent of being struck by lightning. 

Edited by gehringer_2

• 1 month later...