4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

Posted (edited)

Mitt Romney is the living embodiment of this. 

and I say that as a guy who defends him most times against the charges against him. 

Edited by romad1

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

From the story:

Nine witnesses in the criminal cases against former President Donald Trump have received significant financial benefits, including large raises from his campaign, severance packages, new jobs, and a grant of shares and cash from Trump’s media company.

The benefits have flowed from Trump’s businesses and campaign committees, according to a ProPublica analysis of public disclosures, court records and securities filings. One campaign aide [saw] his average monthly pay double, from $26,000 to $53,500. Another employee got a $2 million severance package barring him from voluntarily cooperating with law enforcement. And one of the campaign’s top officials had her daughter hired onto the campaign staff, where she is now the fourth-highest-paid employee.

These pay increases and other benefits often came at delicate moments in the legal proceedings against Trump. One aide who was given a plum position on the board of Trump’s social media company, for example, got the seat after he was subpoenaed but before he testified.

Significant changes to a staffer’s work situation, such as bonuses, pay raises, firings or promotions, can be evidence of a crime if they come outside the normal course of business. To prove witness tampering, prosecutors would need to show that perks or punishments were intended to influence testimony.

27 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Mitt Romney is the living embodiment of this. 

and I say that as a guy who defends him most times against the charges against him. 

Love Love Love that scene and the follow up with Berenger.  "What do you know about killin'?  6 of you boys against me.... ain't nobody'd know.... kill me"

He should have won the supporting oscar that year but I guess he and Dafoe split the vote probably.

and I didn't know until now, after dozens of viewings, that was Anthony Quinn's son.  I wanted to know what happened to him.  Been probably 20 years since I saw it.  He passed away in 2011 of a heart attack.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

From the story:

Nine witnesses in the criminal cases against former President Donald Trump have received significant financial benefits, including large raises from his campaign, severance packages, new jobs, and a grant of shares and cash from Trump’s media company.

The benefits have flowed from Trump’s businesses and campaign committees, according to a ProPublica analysis of public disclosures, court records and securities filings. One campaign aide [saw] his average monthly pay double, from $26,000 to $53,500. Another employee got a $2 million severance package barring him from voluntarily cooperating with law enforcement. And one of the campaign’s top officials had her daughter hired onto the campaign staff, where she is now the fourth-highest-paid employee.

These pay increases and other benefits often came at delicate moments in the legal proceedings against Trump. One aide who was given a plum position on the board of Trump’s social media company, for example, got the seat after he was subpoenaed but before he testified.

Significant changes to a staffer’s work situation, such as bonuses, pay raises, firings or promotions, can be evidence of a crime if they come outside the normal course of business. To prove witness tampering, prosecutors would need to show that perks or punishments were intended to influence testimony.

Also from the Pro Publica article . . .

Campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung said in a statement that “the 2024 Trump campaign is the most well-run and professional operation in political history. Any false assertion that we’re engaging in any type of behavior that may be regarded as tampering is absurd and completely fake.”

You know they are lying when they call it the most well run, professional campaign operation in history. Just like he had the biggest economy in history, the biggest crowd size at his inauguration in history, etc.

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

and I didn't know until now, after dozens of viewings, that was Anthony Quinn's son.  I wanted to know what happened to him.  Been probably 20 years since I saw it.  He passed away in 2011 of a heart attack.

He was in a couple things involving John Milius.  He was in the Rough Riders TV movie which also had Tom Berenger as Teddy Roosevelt.  

Speaking of Milius...avoid as the worst acted movie in the entire canon: Flight of the Intruder.  Even Willem Dafoe can't save it.  Danny Glover chews scenery but its like watching Javvy Baez swing at sliders.  

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

He was in a couple things involving John Milius.  He was in the Rough Riders TV movie which also had Tom Berenger as Teddy Roosevelt.  

Speaking of Milius...avoid as the worst acted movie in the entire canon: Flight of the Intruder.  Even Willem Dafoe can't save it.  Danny Glover chews scenery but its like watching Javvy Baez swing at sliders.  

Milius is great.  I need to find that documentary on him.  I read some Hollywood books on directors and it's fascinating the circles he ran in.  He saved Star Wars for George Lucas.  Definite black sheep among that group in the early 70's but they didn't run from him.  He was one of them and did it his own way.  John Goodman's character in Lebowski is based on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Milius is great.  I need to find that documentary on him.  I read some Hollywood books on directors and it's fascinating the circles he ran in.  He saved Star Wars for George Lucas.  Definite black sheep among that group in the early 70's but they didn't run from him.  He was one of them and did it his own way.  John Goodman's character in Lebowski is based on him.

He's behind all the hilarious but reactionary stuff you saw in popular movies.  

• USS Indianapolis speech in Jaws,
  • "ask yourself punk, do I feel lucky?"
  • "love the smell of napalm in the morning"
  • "drive your enemies before you and hear the lamentations of their women" 

Walter Sobchak is a great depiction.  One of the greatest non-nominated performances in Hollywood history. 

He suggested to Lucas to implement the scrawl at the beginning of Star Wars.  After he showed it to his peers (Spielberg, Coppolla, etc.) Milius is like "Ok but I dont know where or when this is taking place?  What's the backstory?"

That's the legend at least.... Lucas modeled the story on old serials so maybe it's false.  But I like it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oblong knows what I am talking about.   There is a house on Outer Drive on a corner who keeps putting huge anti-Biden signs in his front yard.   All conspiracy type stuff too. 

I am mailing him a letter (typed) with Guilty listed 34 times.  

the real nutters are so over the bend that you don't want to engage with them because they might bite or defecate 

52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oblong knows what I am talking about.   There is a house on Outer Drive on a corner who keeps putting huge anti-Biden signs in his front yard.   All conspiracy type stuff too. 

I am mailing him a letter (typed) with Guilty listed 34 times.  

Just drove by it 5 minutes ago after getting a haircut.  There's also the house across the street with pro Biden/Dem signs.  They go back and forth.  

I did hear that the Trump guy is a very nice man.

Posted (edited)

I was out walking one of the dogs yesterday and a neighbor down the street grandson played travel ball with my son and was workjing in the yard. So I stopped and chatted with him for a few minutes. He goes on this rant how Trump isn't Jesus but he was hand picked by God and he is being crucified like him.... I was like yeah, ok I'm gonna keep walking now. I come back at the end of my walk and he has a paper for me with how you can send money to help Trump and that he is donating ACH on a weekly basis unit the election.

The guy is super smart and is an engineer at Raytheon. I just don't get how they are so brainwashed......

Edited by Tigeraholic1