Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

More from the rumor mill

given the other potential teams in pursuit and the assets they have, i'm not sure i want the wings in a bidding war.

mittelstadt went for a top young defenseman who was drafted top 10.  sam reinhart went for a first round pick and a top goalie prospect.

would you trade #15 and cossa for necas?  and then sign him for 7 years $7.5 million?

It is a shame the Wings didn't just draft Necas instead of Rasmussen ugh.  Necas would be an amazing add, someone will probably give up a lot for him.  Aren't the Canes in a cap crunch?  The part about wanting a player with star power back is kind of odd if that's the case (unless they think they can get a younger comparable player?).  I'm not super excited about this upcoming draft after digging into it a little bit so 15 overall would definitely be in play for me in a potential trade.  I'd be inclined to include Augustine in a trade instead of Cossa if possible, and probably push for a defensive prospect not named ASP instead.  I don't think Yzerman would give up the farm either way and I am curious how solid Seravalli's intel even is.

6 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

It is a shame the Wings didn't just draft Necas instead of Rasmussen ugh.  Necas would be an amazing add, someone will probably give up a lot for him.  Aren't the Canes in a cap crunch?  The part about wanting a player with star power back is kind of odd if that's the case (unless they think they can get a younger comparable player?).  I'm not super excited about this upcoming draft after digging into it a little bit so 15 overall would definitely be in play for me in a potential trade.  I'd be inclined to include Augustine in a trade instead of Cossa if possible, and probably push for a defensive prospect not named ASP instead.  I don't think Yzerman would give up the farm either way and I am curious how solid Seravalli's intel even is.

would you trade edvinsson straight up for necas?  that's the equivalent of the mittlestadt trade to colorado.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wings had the 5th highest GF in the conference and the 5th worst GA. They still need more defense more than more offense.

propped up by a ridiculously high shooting % and pp goals.  their 5v5 offense was in the bottom third of the league.  and that was with patrick kane.

they still need offense.

and defense.

The roster is capped at what they were this year...a boderline playoff team.  Changes need to be made on the blueline and in goal and guys like Kasper, Mazur and Danielson who can play a 200ft game need to get a long look.  Be great to add guys like Necas and/or Guentzel who are proven scorers

11 hours ago, buddha said:

propped up by a ridiculously high shooting %

No doubt they depended too much on the power play - which is partly because it's such a thin roster that getting the few good players out there together at the same time makes a huge difference. 🙄  Shooting percentage is partly just the style they play. The Wings don't take nearly as many low percentage shots as most teams, and I'm fine with a style that works for fewer but higher quality chances. So they should have/maintain a higher shooting percentage than average.

But yeah - they really can't afford to 'give up' anything.

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

https://www.motownredwings.com/2024/06/16/hurricanes-mock-trade-necas-to-red-wings-for-berggren-more/ 

So looking at this and multiple other articles, why do the Wings sour on Berggren so much? This article paints him as a stud.... Why would we deal someone like this if this is an are of need?

The Wings are already too small/lack physicality up front for Berggren to be a good fit on the current roster, and when he was up he did not defend, which wouldn't have endeared him to SY. 

On 6/15/2024 at 4:59 PM, buddha said:

would you trade edvinsson straight up for necas?  that's the equivalent of the mittlestadt trade to colorado.

I would lean towards no but it is a tough call, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision

3 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

https://www.motownredwings.com/2024/06/16/hurricanes-mock-trade-necas-to-red-wings-for-berggren-more/ 

So looking at this and multiple other articles, why do the Wings sour on Berggren so much? This article paints him as a stud.... Why would we deal someone like this if this is an are of need?

He doesn't go to the corners or win board battles and he doesn't play defense.  His offensive output just isn't good enough in the NHL to make up for his lack of defensive game/being soft.

17 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I would lean towards no but it is a tough call, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision

He doesn't go to the corners or win board battles and he doesn't play defense.  His offensive output just isn't good enough in the NHL to make up for his lack of defensive game/being soft.

So where's the value that other teams will see in him? Maybe he's not worth as much to be a cornerstone of a trade?

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

So where's the value that other teams will see in him? Maybe he's not worth as much to be a cornerstone of a trade?

I don't think he's worth as much as being a cornerstone of a trade, but another team might be desperate for scoring and already have their defensive game well set or another GM might think they can make something out of him (or maybe just doesn't care that he doesn't play defense).  I just don't think he has potential superstar value at all but I think some team will give him a chance in the NHL next season since he won't clear waivers.  But GM's make bad trades all the time...

8 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I don't think he's worth as much as being a cornerstone of a trade, but another team might be desperate for scoring and already have their defensive game well set or another GM might think they can make something out of him (or maybe just doesn't care that he doesn't play defense).  I just don't think he has potential superstar value at all but I think some team will give him a chance in the NHL next season since he won't clear waivers.  But GM's make bad trades all the time...

Thanks for the perspective.

It seems like the Red Wings are kind of stuck in no mans land. They aren't quite good enough to be legit NHL contenders, but they have a lot of young pieces that are just now coming to be expensive so they can't really go and sign the players to push them over the edges because they have too much money tied up into the young players they are hoping to be superstars. Is that a fair assessment?

11 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

It seems like the Red Wings are kind of stuck in no mans land. They aren't quite good enough to be legit NHL contenders, but they have a lot of young pieces that are just now coming to be expensive so they can't really go and sign the players to push them over the edges because they have too much money tied up into the young players they are hoping to be superstars. Is that a fair assessment?

I think you sort of have it nailed here.  I think if they wanted to they could still go sign good players in free agency (they have some expensive RFAs waiting but still have about $30 million in cap space right now), the problem is in this salary cap world good players rarely hit free agency and if they do they tend to get overpaid so it really can be tough to build through free agency.  So they are kinda stuck waiting for their young guys to take those next steps all things considered.  I don't consider them in a cap crunch or anything though, the cap should go up in the future too.

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

that is a very favorable trade for the red wings.  i dont see any way someone else in the league doesnt beat that deal.

9 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I may be too optimistic, but I thought Edvinsson acquitted himself well once they finally called him up. He won puck battles and did well snuffing rushes. After holding him in GR so long I was prepared to see a player that was a lot further from NHL ready. Still, even if Edvinsson is the real deal,  they have to manage more than one player upgrade per season.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I may be too optimistic, but I thought Edvinsson acquitted himself well once they finally called him up. He won puck battles and did well snuffing rushes. After holding him in GR so long I was prepared to see a player that was a lot further from NHL ready. Still, even if Edvinsson is the real deal,  they have to manage more than one player upgrade per season.

i suspect edvinsson and johannsen are upgrades on defense.

however, i dont see a lot of upgrades at forward yet.  in the next two years, yes.

the more i think about necas the less i would give up for him.  he's going to cost quite a bit to sogn even after you give up something for him.  is that the guy you want to pay $7m to?

on the flip side, what would you give up for patrick laine?  i cant imagine it would be much.

I don't rate Laine very high so I wouldn't want to trade for him unless it is basically nothing or comes with a pick attached for a salary dump and even then I'm not sure he fits what the team wants on the roster.  I think I would give Necas $7m but it is a gamble on him being in that 70 point range and not 40-50's getting out of Carolina's system.

i think this is the "step back" season.  blood some of the young players, pay raymond and seider, next year some flotsam and jetsom come off the books and hopefully guys like kasper, edvinnson, johanson, etc have had some time in the bigs.  danielson should be ready next season.  and all those guys will be on cheap contracts plus the cap is going up.

and oh look!  draisatl might be a free agent...

Red Wings sign Johansson to a 1-year 2-way contract:

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/red-wings-sign-defenseman-albert-johansson-to-one-year-contract-extension

Red Wings sign defenseman Albert Johansson to one-year contract extension

2019 Second-round pick has skated in 119 AHL games with Grand Rapids

I don't get the 2-way... they can't send him to Grand Rapids because they'll lose him. So exactly how's that 2-way gonna work?

Also... the extra defenseman that needs to be moved to make room on the roster is Chiarot, not Holl. He's the most expensive LH'ed D'man and both Johansson and Edvinsson are LH'ed. He's old, getting older, and I don't trust him in 2024 to not revert to his ****ty 2022 season. I'd rather hang onto Maatta as a cheaper, younger, more effective LH'ed depth D'man. And I'd rather hang onto Holl for the same reason as a RH'ed depth D'Man.

Just my 2 cents.