Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, buddha said:

no one is taking compher with his contract.  he's here for a while.

Likely buyout candidate at some point before that contract is completed....

....But not yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)

There was a post on here referencing a report on NHL trade rumors that a Compher deal was discussed.  They were exploring a deal for Necas for a reason... upgrading 2C may be something they're looking at

Edited by Shinzaki

On 7/3/2024 at 3:06 PM, slothfacekilla said:

I don't hate it!  I was thinking:

DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond

Tarasenko - Compher - Kane

Rasmussen - Copp - Danielson

Motte - Veleno - Fischer

I like DeBrincat away from Kane at 5 on 5.  Though my second line I have to feel for poor Compher he isn't getting much help defensively there.  Danielson can be swapped with a Mazur or Kasper potentially for me, I just feel like he's going to make the team for some reason.  It does feel like they could sign another forward, but who is left looks pretty grim.

I got close to Max Bultman's projection he just released:

Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer

Berggren - Veleno - Motte

He too seems to like that first line with how they were playing at the end of last season.  He sees the defense like:

Chiarot - Seider

Edvinsson - Petry

Maata - Gustaffson

Johansson - Holl

Makes sense to me.  I wish they would trade one of Maata / Petry / Holl but if this is what they have I guess it makes sense.

Wondering if the Wings use any sort of buyout now that they have another window with the Veleno arbitration

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I got close to Max Bultman's projection he just released:

Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer

Berggren - Veleno - Motte

He too seems to like that first line with how they were playing at the end of last season.  He sees the defense like:

Chiarot - Seider

Edvinsson - Petry

Maata - Gustaffson

Johansson - Holl

Makes sense to me.  I wish they would trade one of Maata / Petry / Holl but if this is what they have I guess it makes sense.

Wondering if the Wings use any sort of buyout now that they have another window with the Veleno arbitration

With another year on the legs, I have a hard time believe Petry will be anything close to effective. Seems totally unfair to Edvinsson to ask him to play opposite a pylon as rookie. Of course, if he's good, I suppose he is the blue-liner likely to have the range and reach to play opposite guy who covers less ice.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

With another year on the legs, I have a hard time believe Petry will be anything close to effective. Seems totally unfair to Edvinsson to ask him to play opposite a pylon as rookie. Of course, if he's good, I suppose he is the blue-liner likely to have the range and reach to play opposite guy who covers less ice.

Sadly, I personally think Petry is the right partner for Simon as it stands with this group.  It would have been nice if Trouba didn't say no to the Wings so we could shift Chiarot down to pair with Edvinsson.  Petry is a year older and slower as you say though so it'll be an interesting ride.  I thought Petry was fine for a majority of the time last season but man he makes really weird coverage mistakes randomly. 

I saw that article about the top 5 most overrated GM's and seeing Yzerman on there is kind of dissapointing.... The guy had to rebuild the entire franchise with barely anything. He's finally (from my understanding) has a decent team and a great pipeline of talent to infuse into the lineups the next few years...... I would think that'd be exactly what you want from a GM that took over with literally nothing... What am I missing?

I get he hasn't made the playoffs, but he's set us up for success next year and multiple years after no?

46 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I saw that article about the top 5 most overrated GM's and seeing Yzerman on there is kind of dissapointing.... The guy had to rebuild the entire franchise with barely anything. He's finally (from my understanding) has a decent team and a great pipeline of talent to infuse into the lineups the next few years...... I would think that'd be exactly what you want from a GM that took over with literally nothing... What am I missing?

I get he hasn't made the playoffs, but he's set us up for success next year and multiple years after no?

its click bait.  ignore it.

It is really en vogue to trash Yzerman and the Yzerplan.  Many people forget how awful not only was the regular roster, but their prospects were pretty barren as well.  Here's the roster that he took over:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/2020.html

Highest point scorer was 53 points and a decrepit Danny DeKeyser was their second most played defender.  Madison Bowey played 53 games!

Plus like buddha said, it is clickbait.  Wings fans are all over the internet and it is instant engagement when you question Yzerman and what he's done.  He hasn't been perfect, but with what he was given and with no lottery luck I'm not sure what people want.

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Yea, I forgot how screwed he got in the lottery the last few years......

Ya after the Wings had a historically bad season in 19/20 (37th worst points percentage in the entire history of the NHL and 5th lowest total points for any NHL team ever!!!) and picked 4th I've been convinced that straight up tanking isn't going to get it done (or just looking at a team like Buffalo).  If the Wings had just a little luck or neutral luck they'd probably be in the playoffs already but it has been a grind.

8 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

It is really en vogue to trash Yzerman and the Yzerplan.  Many people forget how awful not only was the regular roster, but their prospects were pretty barren as well.  Here's the roster that he took over:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/DET/2020.html

Highest point scorer was 53 points and a decrepit Danny DeKeyser was their second most played defender.  Madison Bowey played 53 games!

Plus like buddha said, it is clickbait.  Wings fans are all over the internet and it is instant engagement when you question Yzerman and what he's done.  He hasn't been perfect, but with what he was given and with no lottery luck I'm not sure what people want.

When Steve Simmons gets in on it you know Yzerman-bashing has jumped the shark. It's probably a good sign. 

https://torontosun.com/sports/where-did-steve-yzermans-golden-touch-go-in-detroit

Edited by lordstanley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

So the NYR are trying to mend fences with Trouba now. Did he block a trade to us? Otherwise, perhaps his price just plummeted? I'd be down for getting a heavy hitter.....

https://www.motownredwings.com/2024/07/11/nhl-rumors-maple-leafs-red-wings-ducks-rangers/

I've seen it reported a few places that they had a trade in place and Trouba said no

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

his wife has a job and career there.  they have kids, i think.  he didnt want to uproot them.

i have no problem with that.

Ya I believe she's in the last year of her residency in New York or something like that?  I can't blame him as much as it sucks for the Wings.  I blame that Brooks guy in New York media for leaking the trade info:

This is super intriguing to me, usually if they expect a player to play in Europe / Sweden (Raymond, Edvinnsson, Kasper) they don't come back to Detroit for their camp.  Reading between the lines there's a decent chance he's playing in the AHL or even NHL depending on how camp goes.  This would be his first season with Skelleftea so I'm guessing they want him at their camp just in case he does end up back in Europe in the SHL.  MBN did say Yzerman told him that they want him to make the NHL club out of training camp, but my guess is they tell every prospect coming to camp that?

No arbitration hearing.  I'm not a huge fan of Veleno's so this feels a little high to me but not by much I guess.  I saw a few projections ~$200-300k less per year.  I will say every now and then he does stuff that makes you think there's a productive player in there somewhere, so hopefully he finds some consistency with more experience and maturing. 

17 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I will say every now and then he does stuff that makes you think there's a productive player in there somewhere, so hopefully he finds some consistency with more experience and maturing. 

I hope he justifies your take there. For  me, seeing JV start up the wing with the puck just means the other team is going to have it in 10 seconds.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I hope he justifies your take there. For  me, seeing JV start up the wing with the puck just means the other team is going to have it in 10 seconds.

I'm honestly not counting on it, I don't think he has enough hockey sense in the end.

that's WAAAAAAAAAY too much money for veleno.  he's replaceable for anyone with a modicum of physicalness and a low amount of skill.

congrats for making veleno an actual nhl player, which he is now ans wasnt two years ago.

but if you got rid of klim kostin because you didnt want to pay a 4th line winger $2m, then why are you paying a 4th line center OVER $2 million?

makes no sense unless you are really valuing continuity and locker room things we dont know about.  veleno is the most replaveable forward on the roster.