Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Legit no clue who this guy is

It's GOTTA be a 2-way and they're stashing him in GR...

Just a WAG...

Another lefty D, and he's scored almost 0 points in the NHL in 100 games (OK, 11 points.)

55 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Yzerman said he doesn't want to carry 3 goalies again so it should be interesting to see what happens

TRADE HUSSO!!! (or however Stevie can get that to work... maybe buying him out is our only choice?)

40 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Well Campbell's deal can be buried in the AHL and it doesn't look like they have a backup for Cossa yet so there it is

its a good backup goalie to have.

now, you still have husso, lyon, and talbot.

is someone getting moved?  if so, lyon would certainly fetch the most of any of them.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

its a good backup goalie to have.

now, you still have husso, lyon, and talbot.

is someone getting moved?  if so, lyon would certainly fetch the most of any of them.

Ya I would prefer Husso be moved but Lyon is on a cheap 1 year deal and has played way better than Husso so I wouldn't be shocked if it was Lyon.

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Gostisbehere to Carolina at 3 x $3.5mm. I would have done that. Yes, defensive shortcomings to say the least, but 54 points. 

i wouldnt do 3 years, not with their defensive prospect pipeline.

i'm fine with what they did today because they didnt spend stupid term on players.

everyone who is complaining that they didnt sign any big names today were the same people pounding the table for johnny gaudreau and pierre luc dubois.  chasing the shiny toy every year.

the worst things yzerman has done are the copp, compher, and holl deals.  overpaying for guys in years and money.  the best things he's done in FA are waiting out the market to get ghost and kane when everyone else was tapped out on money.  waiting out ottawa to get debrincat on a good trade and for decent TERM.

that kane deal is great.  every other deal today was prudent, imo.  

to me, this was always a bridge year to next year.  make your big splash when your foundation is ready to contribute.

now, with all that said, its day one.  he could be dealing multiple #1 picks for trouba or signing a guy for 5 years to play third line center tomorrow and i will have to walk this all back.  but for the moment, i am fine with this.

bring up the kids next year and let them play.  sign seider and raymond.  if you cant make the playoffs, i'm ok with that.  let fabbri, husso, etc come off the books and spend big next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Gostisbehere to Carolina at 3 x $3.5mm. I would have done that. Yes, defensive shortcomings to say the least, but 54 points. 

Shocked the cap hit is that low with all the rumors we've seen, maybe they were wrong with the ~$5 million projection or maybe he gave the Canes a discount because he wants a cup?  Still okay moving on from him personally.

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Ya I would prefer Husso be moved but Lyon is on a cheap 1 year deal and has played way better than Husso so I wouldn't be shocked if it was Lyon.

I think Stevie will let the season play out before he makes a move

Training camp injuries and all...

But at the start of the season... do they push out one of Lyon or Husso? Or do they wait for the deadline when one of them (or both) might be a bit more movable and any injury issues would hopefully be resolved by then...?

The other "fly in the ointment" factor is if Cossa PUSHES his way into Detroit playing time. Maybe that doesn't happen until around the trade deadline... who gets moved? who takes over in Grand Rapids?

But what if he's doing that in training camp? What if the team is willing to be so bold as to break camp with him? I don't think he's there yet - from a Red Wings conservative management perspective - I'm just sayin'... what if?

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

chris tanev got SIX YEARS.  did you want that for detroit?  stamkos is old af and declining and he got 4.  same with marchessault.

no.  thank.  you.

Tanev?

No, that's ridiculous. Same with Stamkos.

Maybe Hanifan. I was always more interested in him than Tanev. A guy 27 I'll go 6 to take him to 33 or 34. But 6 at 34 to take him to 40...? YEEESH!!!

I prefer Yzerman's Kane 1-year and Talbot 2-years if we're going with aging vets to provide leadership on the team...

No question.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Stevie will let the season play out before he makes a move

Training camp injuries and all...

But at the start of the season... do they push out one of Lyon or Husso? Or do they wait for the deadline when one of them (or both) might be a bit more movable and any injury issues would hopefully be resolved by then...?

The other "fly in the ointment" factor is if Cossa PUSHES his way into Detroit playing time. Maybe that doesn't happen until around the trade deadline... who gets moved? who takes over in Grand Rapids?

But what if he's doing that in training camp? What if the team is willing to be so bold as to break camp with him? I don't think he's there yet - from a Red Wings conservative management perspective - I'm just sayin'... what if?

i dont see any way cossa is in detroit unless multiple guys get hurt.

i really like what theyve done at goalie so far.

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont see any way cossa is in detroit unless multiple guys get hurt.

i really like what theyve done at goalie so far.

So do I.

I especially like the flexibility... the main thing I was pointing out.

As for Cossa, really, it's all up to him.

Well... and Stevie's call as well of course...