Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

I think Veleno is a way better player than Kostin though (at a more valuable position too), and while I agree it feels high... in looking at similar players on similar contracts it doesn't seem that crazy to me honestly:

spacer.png

Kurashev kinda makes it look bad, but he signed that deal after a 25 point campaign the season before.  Joe won 49% of his faceoffs and played both ways on special teams.  In the end it might be a slight overpay but it seems pretty in line with the rest of the league and the cap is going up.  The filters I used were players aged 23-25 that play center and have a cap hit between $1 million and $2.8 million.  You can see their stats on the right there, I wish it saved bigger though.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Sprong could be a disruptive force on O, they'll miss that, but another of many guys who didn't play enough 2-way to mesh with the Yzerplan.

6 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Cheap depth scoring for them but there's a reason no team will give him a long contract or much money.  I'll miss his wicked shot when it was on but he didn't do a whole lot else.

A frank assessment in the Vancouver paper. 
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/daniel-sprong-signing-complete-player

“The newly acquired winger can score, can't defend, can infuriate, was often benched and comes with some additional baggage”

Nobody doubts the ability of the mercurial 27-year-old Amsterdam native to generate offence. However, his inability to defend has kept him from being productive, predictable, responsible and with a full pull on the team-first rope.”

What they did provide in a one-year, US$975,000 curiosity contract is the chance for Sprong to bet on himself, silence the critics, and prolong his career. The Canucks also had leverage because numbers that projected Sprong tripling his salary in a three-year deal elsewhere never materialized.”

“he had just one goal in his last 17 games and was a healthy scratch six times in a 10-game span down the stretch with the Red Wings pressing for a playoff position. Rather than re-sign the 6-foot, 195 pound Sprong, the Wings opted for former Canucks grinder Tyler Motte, 29, in a one-year $800,000 free-agent contract to bring better defensive structure.”

Sprong has carried a certain edge with a personality that often rubbed teammates the wrong 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they are walking back the MBN starting in Detroit stuff, sounds like he's expected in the SHL this season which makes sense in the end.  I was hoping he'd get a good look to see how he fits in with Detroit, they could use his forechecking prowess and shot but if they think he's better served playing top minutes in Sweden (looks like he's practicing that way) then giddy up.

Ya I'm starving for any Wings news / info so I figured I'd do a pretty pointless update there lol.  Really itching for them to get the Seider and Raymond deals done. 

Apparently Plante looked really good for USA during that summer tournament, I'm really excited about adding him to the prospect pool.  I have forced some more "info" in!

14 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Here's a conversation starter:

Do ya'll think Lalonde is really on the hotseat? He hasn't been given too much to work with over the years it looks like..... I think he's got 2-3 years left before the hotseat. 

I think Lalonde has been OK. His first year there seemed to be a big (and good) style of play shift sway from Blashill's passive approach, but last years it seemed they were falling back into it. A lot of that is just lack of guys who can win puck battles. Maybe it doesn't play well to today's players but I'd like to seem him mix up the lines more when they are being stagnant on offense. Sometimes things will click for no apparent reason but you never know until you try.

I don't think he's on the hot seat but if the Wings start the season badly he might be.  I do have some bones to pick with him.  He seems to be reluctant to use timeouts to calm the team down when games are slipping away, maybe sticks with some line pairings too long too.  And a few times he's explained plays / his defensive system and it feels much too rigid and kinda odd at times.  Maybe they just don't have the personnel to run it correctly? All that being said I think a coach's impact on wins and losses in the NHL is fairly minimal these days so I am not clamoring for him to be fired.  It'll be interesting to see if he grows as a coach as the roster gets better.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 4:28 PM, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Here's a conversation starter:

Do ya'll think Lalonde is really on the hotseat? He hasn't been given too much to work with over the years it looks like..... I think he's got 2-3 years left before the hotseat. 

Yes, he's on the hot seat. I don't think there is a playoffs-or-else mandate because this team is on the bubble and you never know how injuries play into a season. But if they have another two-week stretch where they go 3-10 and give up an average of five goals against, I don't see him making it through the season.

I'm not sure what trading Larkin would do except thrust them back into another extended rebuild.  It pretty much means guys like Seider and Raymond won't be competing much in their primes and undoes all the incremental improvements.  And we've seen how long a rebuild can take, I don't think anyone wants to do that.  I think they're still trending in the right direction and just need to hold course.

Maybe my rose tinted glasses are too thick but I think guys like Danielson (puck carrying/possession in the neutral zone, zone entries on offense), Kasper (**** disturber, playoff performer) and MBN (heavy shot, excellent on the forecheck) are going to be fantastic compliments to what they have, they all bring an element that the Wings really need.  I think you have to get them in the mix the next couple of seasons and see what you have.  Add in that Cossa is developing and they have a couple other younger goalies in the mix I don't think you have to panic if they don't make the playoffs this season.

Edited by slothfacekilla

Could be Raymond's agent putting it out there, but that was tweeted by David Pagnotta who is notoriously unreliable especially when it comes to the Wings.  He tweeted the same thing about Larkin during their negotiations.  Could be something there but I figured I would add that caveat.  I am anxious for Seider and Ray to get signed.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 1:02 PM, slothfacekilla said:

Could be Raymond's agent putting it out there, but that was tweeted by David Pagnotta who is notoriously unreliable especially when it comes to the Wings.  He tweeted the same thing about Larkin during their negotiations.  Could be something there but I figured I would add that caveat.  I am anxious for Seider and Ray to get signed.

Lets say, "What if.........."

But lets say Raymonds numbers are outrageous. Would it be crazy for Steve to trade him? Or do you think he'd play him this year and let him walk if no agreement can be made?