Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Lets say, "What if.........."

But lets say Raymonds numbers are outrageous. Would it be crazy for Steve to trade him? Or do you think he'd play him this year and let him walk if no agreement can be made?

Well if there's no agreement he can't play, he isn't arbitration eligible so he's holding out until ink is on a contract.  He won't be a UFA until 2028 too.  Theoretically they could agree on a small bridge contract to take him to arbitration, but it doesn't feel like either side would want that (in my opinion).

Unless Raymond comes out and says he does not want to play for the Red Wings because of the contract negotiations I can't imagine they trade him.  If we get into training camp I'll start worrying about our RFAs not being signed personally, but right now I expect them to get deals done because it just is the most likely scenario all things considered.  Yzerman has had late signings like this in Tampa and Detroit so it isn't too shocking even though I'd rather they be done already!

If Raymond’s demands are outrageous to the Wings I assume they’d be outrageous to any trading partner as well. No reason to think Raymond would require a premium from the Wings or the Wings are undervaluing him compared to how the market would. 

• Like 1

The idiot Ottawa GM screwed the market for 2020 draft extensions by committing huge money too early to Stutzle and Sanderson.  They both got $8.3M and 8M AAV and 8 year term.    LaFreniere hasn’t signed and extension yet and Byfield got much less on money and term.  It’s created an odd situation trying to figure out proper value for the other guy in the top 5. 

On 8/23/2024 at 10:03 PM, lordstanley said:

I missed this last week and am just now seeing this. The tragic limousine crash that changed the lives of both Vladdy and Sergei forever shaped this town and fundamentally made hockey different in Detroit. RIP Sergei Mnatsakanov.

Hmm looks like another Pagnotta rumor so I'm skeptical but who knows this could be coming from Max's agent.  Apparently the Leafs are looking at him too. He feels redundant with the Taresenko signing to me.  I guess it could be a good locker room addition but I'd probably rather roll with younger guys.

21 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Depends on the cost...he's got good size..could add veteran scoring on the third line

I think he's baked. He hasn't played a full season in nearly 4 years now. He's had all of 26 total points in each of the past two seasons. Signing Max Pacioretty reeks of a Ken Holland, we love our veteran players, type of move. If you bring Pacioretty that almost assures Mazur will end up in Grand Rapids again for most of the season. I'm giving Mazur a shot before bringing him in.

44 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

NHL GM's in general like signing veterans.  Pacioretty would be a cheap enough contract that if he winds up on the 4th line or a frequent scratch it won't kill you.  

Yzerman has stated often that his objective when possible is to sign younger players that can stay around a while . Of course he's already made exceptions with Petry and Kane, 

So my guess is Raymond's agent has been talking to the media with this coming out too.  They don't seem too pressed or concerned but I do wish they were closer than it sounds like.  Tough with the translation to know if "no offer that is equal" means they just haven't agreed yet or if they're far apart.  I do wonder if this Pacioretty rumor is being floated by the team as a way of trying to force hands though it is a fairly big leap to me.  The Swedish news outlet speculates the Wings opening offer was 5-6 million a year though they admit no one has any idea.  If that's close to being true my guess is the Wings are hoping they end up in the $7 million - $8 million range.

It does appear both Raymond and Seider are participating in Mannheim's training camp right now, Seider's old team is preparing for their preseason. 

49 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I feel dirty linking Pagnotta but I think at this point it looks like Raymond's agent talks to the media quite a lot.  Not really new but more positive than most framed reports.

This tweet is the ultimate “duh”.    Way to state the obvious.  

As for Pagnotta as a whole, he’s is fine with the California teams and LV. but his sources are not great on a national level.     

Edited by Hongbit

On 9/4/2024 at 5:21 PM, Shinzaki said:

NHL GM's in general like signing veterans.  Pacioretty would be a cheap enough contract that if he winds up on the 4th line or a frequent scratch it won't kill you.  

Long as he doesn't give Max a Kenny deal with 5 @ $6.5 lol. I don't want him taking up a roster spot though from a kid like Mazur.

on a list of teams "rebuilding teams most likely to be contenders" the wings are listed as 12th.

"12. Detroit Red Wings

Detroit has a quality NHL team. The Red Wings were top 10 in the league in goals last season. They also have a solid farm system with some excellent high picks on the way who will be pushing for NHL time soon. So why 12th? If this was about becoming a playoff team, I could rank Detroit higher, but I’m looking at the path to winning it all, and other than Dylan Larkin and Moritz Seider, I don’t see the true premium pieces in this organization to carry them the distance."

below chicago, ottawa, anaheim, san jose, etc.  all teams that have drafted higher recently.

i dont trust pronman if he doesnt list raymond as a premium piece after the end of last year.  i think raymond is about to break out into a star winger (provided they ever sign him to a contract) and i'd probably rank him ahead of seider.

guys like pronman watch EVERYTHING which gives them a good general knowledge of the league but misses some of the things going on that you might miss if you dont closely follow a club.

1 minute ago, slothfacekilla said:

Pronman must be doing A LOT of projecting to put the likes of Anaheim and San Jose above the Wings.

i would argue ottawa too.  they have two top players in stutzel and tkachuk but i think the wings are deeper.

maybe i'm being homertastic but i really think danielson is a year away from being a stud player.  

i know we all wanted edvinnson up sooner but he really looked like he worked on the weaknesses in his game.  he was much more physical in the ahl this year and when he came up.  hopefully that works for kasper and mazur too.

my worry is stevie signs too many forwards to block them all.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would argue ottawa too.  they have two top players in stutzel and tkachuk but i think the wings are deeper.

maybe i'm being homertastic but i really think danielson is a year away from being a stud player.  

i know we all wanted edvinnson up sooner but he really looked like he worked on the weaknesses in his game.  he was much more physical in the ahl this year and when he came up.  hopefully that works for kasper and mazur too.

my worry is stevie signs too many forwards to block them all.

I don't disagree with anything here, I'm just trying to temper my ratings of the Wings' prospects because I feel like I get carried away a lot lol