Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

Matt Roy would be a perfect piece on the blue line.  LA would love to keep him but they don’t have the cap space.  He will have a strong market and probably gets something in the low to mid $6’s.  Don’t think he’ll take a hometown discount but possibly.  

Very meh on Martin Jones as he seems the same as all of the goalies they’ve acquired recently and probably a little worse than Lyon.  Goalies are weird.  Some journeyman steps up massive every year that nobody saw coming.  Maybe he’s that guy next season.

Not sure Marchessault has the same enthusiasm of coming here as Prashanth.  He’s been on some nice playoff runs recently and would seem to want to go to an established contender.   Not sure Stevie is going to do $7m for 3 as suggested to tempt him but maybe.  They have the cap space.  

Edited by Hongbit

If SY manages Matt Roy, he gets a pass for anything else that might happen next season.

Of course this is exactly what the Wings used to do back in the day: win the sweepstakes for the guys everyone wanted.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If SY manages Matt Roy, he gets a pass for anything else that might happen next season...

I don't know if I would go that far...

But... yes.

Pair him up with Edvinsson. No-brainer. 

On Martin Jones... I'd be OK with that. He would be Reimer for a year.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

prashanth's "if i were steve yzerman" piece is out today.

tl;dr version:

sit tight this year and make your big splash in free agency after next year or the year after.

draft: michael brandsdegg nygard.

re-signings:

raymond: 8x$8.25

seider: 3x$6

veleno: 1x$1.3

mcissac: released

perron: 1x$2

fischer: 1x$1.2

trades:

berggren/holl to utah for edmonton's 2024 3rd round pick.

maata to san jose for its 2025 4th round pick.

free agent signings:

marchessault: 3x$7

roy: 5x$5.6

martin jones (goalie): 1×$925k

Does he discuss Kane at all? Is he presuming Kane is gone or just letting him walk?

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does he discuss Kane at all? Is he presuming Kane is gone or just letting him walk?

let him walk and sign marchesaault instead.  march is more of a goal scorer and play driver and kane is more of a facilitator.  plus kane is older.

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Matt Roy would be a perfect piece on the blue line.  LA would love to keep him but they don’t have the cap space.  He will have a strong market and probably gets something in the low to mid $6’s.  Don’t think he’ll take a hometown discount but possibly.  

Very meh on Martin Jones as he seems the same as all of the goalies they’ve acquired recently and probably a little worse than Lyon.  Goalies are weird.  Some journeyman steps up massive every year that nobody saw coming.  Maybe he’s that guy next season.

Not sure Marchessault has the same enthusiasm of coming here as Prashanth.  He’s been on some nice playoff runs recently and would seem to want to go to an established contender.   Not sure Stevie is going to do $7m for 3 as suggested to tempt him but maybe.  They have the cap space.  

jones is nothing but a stop gap like reimer waa and pranshanth is very much in the "goalies are volatile so dont overpay them" camp.

i have my doubts seider takes that for a bridge, raymond may be pricier than that too.  raymond was a superstar down the stretch and his agent will surely know it.

i think they can get march for that but probably not roy.  not sure berggren and holl nets you a 3rd either.  you might have to do a swap and give up a pick to get that.

3 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Gibson was probably a second pairing defender at best in the NHL but he had a nice OHL system and RHD isn't super flush in their system...........Yzerman setting up another move now with two second rounders??

So the Wings traded last year’s #42 for this year’s #53 and last year’s #68. 

Edited by lordstanley

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Maybe they think they can get a higher upside player with this draft's second rounder but I'm going to delude myself into thinking it's a precursor to a big move haha.  The forward doesn't sound too bad though.

56 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

What the ****.  I know we have a lot of defense in the pipeline but I liked Gibson as a prospect...

I liked what Gibson was showing so far also...

51 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This is my first thought. Two prospects for the price of one. And Kisskinen looks like a serious 2-way player which I've been screaming about for awhile now...

54 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

...Yzerman setting up another move now with two second rounders??

But this is really where my head is at right now. Just a WAG...

Could Yzerman be looking for a 1st round trade up for Sennecke or one of the Defenseman mocked at going ahead of the Wings' pick?

I would love to add Sennecke.

Or do they sit and grab Brandsegg-Nygard (if he makes it to 15) and make a move up with the two 2nds to grab someone that is falling...?

Edited by 1984Echoes

On 6/20/2024 at 2:16 PM, buddha said:

if you think edvinsson is ready to be dman #1b to seider's 1a, then you should deal walman.  he'll get a return on investment.  

holl will likely require you to give up assets or take a bad contract back (maybe we can call washington?), maata gets you nothing.  walman gets you a good player or prospect.

well....i was right that they would move walman but i didnt think they'd get nothing in return.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Well that sucks...

At the surface level at least... I can't believe trading Walman would actually be a COST to us. I mean, what the hey...? so... what are those future considerations anyways...?

a pick to be negotiated later maybe