Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

Walman for whatever reason was perceived as damaged goods by the Wings and maybe around the league. On ice or off ice issues, who knows. But clearly not good news because he is another player like Vrana and Ned in net who came here, looked like a neat pick up for awhile, then washed out. We need some of these to hit and stick. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

please not john gibson.

why would the Wings give up much for a goalie with a sub 900 save percentage when they are looking at Husso being healthy, Lyon having exceeded expectations, and two promising netminders in the pipeline? More coastal media assuming any mid-market team would be drooling over their leavings.

I wonder if the trade(s) would have been better received if it was just one trade with one team, say just all Preds:

Gibson + Walman for Kiiskinen (or insert mid tier prospect with some intrigue).  Probably still some push back but I think it would have been less without seeing 2nd round pick going out for future considerations?

BS ESPN article about crazy offseason things that could happen.

stamkos to detroit was one, draisatl traded to detroit for another.  they wrote any trade for him starts with larkin and seider plus picks.

would you do it?

• Confused 1

I feel like that Draisatl trade hamstrings the Wings more than it helps in the end, but what do I know.  Ideally to me, they would wait out the Oilers and ultimately send prospects and picks instead of roster players like that.  I would ship off 2-3 top prospects and picks for him.

16 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I feel like that Draisatl trade hamstrings the Wings more than it helps in the end, but what do I know.  Ideally to me, they would wait out the Oilers and ultimately send prospects and picks instead of roster players like that.  I would ship off 2-3 top prospects and picks for him.

i dont see the point to that trade from detroit or edmonton's point of view.

youre up against the cap so you take larkin and seider who will cost more than draisatl?  how does that help?

if youre edmonton you have to re-sign him or deal him for another "star" like say, makar or maybe quinn hughes.  if not, then what makes anyone think mcdavid will re-up?  

larkin is a nice player but he doesnt move the needle for mcdavid.

what they need to do is move nurse's contract which....good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

BS ESPN article about crazy offseason things that could happen.

stamkos to detroit was one, draisatl traded to detroit for another.  they wrote any trade for him starts with larkin and seider plus picks.

would you do it?

i wouldn't but maybe for a different reason. To me the Wings roster is already too thin - that's a situation where moving two good players for a great one (esp a forward) is actually going to be counterproductive for 40 minutes out of 60.

On 6/27/2024 at 5:13 PM, slothfacekilla said:

I wonder if the trade(s) would have been better received if it was just one trade with one team, say just all Preds:

Gibson + Walman for Kiiskinen (or insert mid tier prospect with some intrigue).  Probably still some push back but I think it would have been less without seeing 2nd round pick going out for future considerations?

No that’s still awful 

Don’t think Trouba is that good but he fits the need for a vet blue liner.  Also brings some much needed toughness.  I’m on board if NYR treat this as a salary dump and pick up contract money and don’t ask for much in return.    I hope they are still in on Roy too.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Rumors heating up ....Trouba to Detroit, Rangers retain salary.  Depending on the cost, sounds really good to me

He'd be a good guy to match up with Edvinsson.

That's also why I have an interest in Matt Roy.

If and when Edvinsson is ready for the 1st pairing, he can move up and Chiarot can slide down to 2nd pair with Trouba (or Roy). Until then, it gives him a good, solid, productive, veteran 2nd pair RHD to show him the ropes...

I don't have huge confidence in Chiarot either (who will end up starting the season at 1st pair with MO...); but it is what it is. Which means, also, that there's no huge impediment for Simon to move up to 1st pair... he just needs to improve (at the NHL level) enough to surpass Chiarot.

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Don’t think Trouba is that good but he fits the need for a vet blue liner.  Also brings some much needed toughness.  I’m on board if NYR treat this as a salary dump and pick up contract money and don’t ask for much in return.    I hope they are still in on Roy too.  

One NY season reviewer said the knives are out for him in NYC because of the poor playoff performance but he supposedly was playing hurt with a bad ankle.

Seider and Trouba from the right and Edvinsson and Chiarot from the left mixed and matched either way is potentially a nice upgrade from last season IF Trouba is healthy and Simon is good. But lets see what it ends up costing.....

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... Seider and Trouba from the right and Edvinsson and Chiarot from the left mixed and matched either way is potentially a nice upgrade from last season IF Trouba is healthy and Simon is good...

"Great minds..."

24 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

...  I’m on board if NYR treat this as a salary dump and pick up contract money and don’t ask for much in return...

Don't they pay US if it's a salary dump?

We get their 1st rounder (EJ Emery) and we send a 4th rounder (can we send them Petry or Holl, instead?)... or something like that?

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Don't they pay US if it's a salary dump?

We get their 1st rounder (EJ Emery) and we send a 4th rounder (can we send them Petry or Holl, instead?)... or something like that?

Future considerations would be nice.  

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One NY season reviewer said the knives are out for him in NYC because of the poor playoff performance but he supposedly was playing hurt with a bad ankle.

Seider and Trouba from the right and Edvinsson and Chiarot from the left mixed and matched either way is potentially a nice upgrade from last season IF Trouba is healthy and Simon is good. But lets see what it ends up costing.....

Copp was coming off a great playoffs with NYR and sucked when he got here.  
Maybe Trouba can do the reverse.