4/30 DH Game 1 3:40 Game 2 TBD Cardinals @ Tigers

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t think that was the issue.  The lack of offense seemed to be a larger issue.

I don't agree. If he used Miller in the 8th, it wouldn't have been against better hitters. And even if Miller had given up runs, we woulda had 2 more at bats to catch up. Yes, not scoring more runs was the mail culprit but Hinch screwed the pooch.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't agree. If he used Miller in the 8th, it wouldn't have been against better hitters. And even if Miller had given up runs, we woulda had 2 more at bats to catch up. Yes, not scoring more runs was the mail culprit but Hinch screwed the pooch.

The situation as Dickerson alluded to on the radio, is that there are 3 games within 24 hours.  Obviously nobody is pitching in both games today.  If Foley goes too many pitches today, that takes him out for tomorrow as well.  Personally I think he was in for 4 batters if Chafin got through the first 2 of the 8th.  So maybe Foley goes 20 pitches and can be used tomorrow.  Obviously that didn't work out.

Now, I do think maybe Hinch got a little greedy.  You try to win the game at hand.  So, I can see trotting Foley out there again in the 9th.  But, there are no guarantees that he saves it.  The Cardinals have looked pretty blah and the Tiger bullpen has been pretty good.  So, maybe there is room to save Foley for tomorrow.

Sometimes these decisions are more hazy than they are black and white.  I didn't find my inner voice arguing against pulling Foley as I was listening to the game, so I'm probably not entitled to complain about the decision.

• Like 1

“Staaaaahp itttt”. No, you stop it, C-Mo.

You get up to one “Oppo Taco”, and “you hang it, we bang it” per game. That’s it. Not countless of each. You’re ruining the Benetti buzz with your repeated growlings, man. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Wenceel Pérez>Spencer Torkelson

Well Tork literally has a lower WAR right now than 900 other players this season who are either in the league today, or who have been called up/sent down up to this point...no hyperbole, thats real.  I actually feel bad for him...I make fun of him as more of making fun of the org for forcing the issue and playing him in the bigs simply for being a 1OA pick.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I was skeptical but Perez has earned some more frequent playing time.

When teams have good years there is usually some player or two that come out of nowhere to give them a boost. Maybe the Tigers have found theirs, or maybe once he is scouted his run will come to an abrupt end. In any case, so far he's giving them a tougher decision to make when Urshella comes off the DL.

Edited by gehringer_2