5/5/24 1:35PM Tigers @ Yankees

52 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

(Run scoring is down this year, making it more difficult to discern the offense's improvement this year).

you also notice more in games that are winnable. When you give up 8, whether you scored 2 or 5 isn't much remembered. We've given up 23 fewer runs this April than last and scored 24 more but it almost seems worse because we were in more games we might have won.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you also notice more in games that are winnable. When you give up 8, whether you scored 2 or 5 isn't much remembered. We've given up 23 fewer runs this April than last and scored 24 more but it almost seems worse because we were in more games we might have won.

Going 1-3 in games that entered the 9th inning with you up 1-0 does sting. I would guess the wins probability for this scenario would be about 3. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Another "evaluation" season in 2025? This is getting old...

Just a reminder:

After we "graduated" a ****load of kids from the minors to MLB named: Jason Thompson, Mark Fidrych, Steve Kemp, Phil Mankowski, Bruce Kimm, Bruce Taylor, Lance Parrish, Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, Dave Rozema, Tim Corcoran, Steve Baker, Jack Morris, Dan Petry, Mark Wagner, Kip Young, Dave Stegman, Bob Sykes, Dave Tobik, Sheldon Burnside, Lynn Jones, Tom Brookens, Al Greene, Kirk Gibson, Ricky Peters, Dan Gonzalez, Bruce Robbins, Pat Underwood and  Mike Chris from 1976-79...

We STILL didn't win a World Series until 1984.

Sifting through a bunch of kids to see who sticks (for various reasons, Fidrych, Thompson, Kemp, Kimm, Wagner, Young, Sykes, Tobik, Baker, Corcoran, Stegman, Taylor, Jones, Peters, Gonzalez, Robbins, Underwood, Chris, Greene and Mankowski didn't make it to the Championship season)...

and who doesn't stick....

is both necessary and... painful.

And requires a ****load of patience.

(that is a list of ALL the guys we "graduated" from the minors from 1976 to 1979. A whole **** ton of 'em... and most of 'em flopped out or were traded for something different, or disappeared within a few years... Just sayin'...).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I dont know about tearing down but maybe we should trade some pitching for a little hitting

I have a different recipe:

Do lots more "Sifting".

We need to "Sift" through a bunch of the other kids available at Toledo to see who can stick...

And who can't.

And if a guy can't stick... trade him for something different.

(I will now reference my above post with the following trades: Jason Thompson traded for Al Cowens, Steve Kemp traded for Chet Lemon, John Wockenfuss and Glenn Wilson traded for Dave Bergman and Willie Hernandez).

The Marlins just traded Luis Arraez (2B, small, high-BA, high OBP, Slash in 6 MLB years: .325, .378, .424 = .803 career OPS) for 4 prospects...

If they had offered him to the Tigers for Torkelson straight-up... would anyone here have said "Yes."?

Just asking...

Food for thought.

Edited by 1984Echoes

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

3-3 is still doable.  Who’s with me?

I'm thinking the first game against Cleveland is going to show what kind of "fight" this team has in them and whether we should climb aboard the 3-3 Hope Train or consign ourselves to a 1-5 road trip expectations...

If they wake up and take the 1st game...

sure, I'll climb aboard...

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's almost like they have to make some off-season trades. Who would have ever guessed that? The leash for Harris is getting shorter and shorter.

Is it getting shorter?  How long of a leash did Avila have?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm thinking the first game against Cleveland is going to show what kind of "fight" this team has in them and whether we should climb aboard the 3-3 Hope Train or consign ourselves to a 1-5 road trip expectations...

If they wake up and take the 1st game...

sure, I'll climb aboard...

Actually a 6 game road trip might not happen.  Weather looks dicey Tuesday and Wednesday.  Imagine that, the Tigers might get rained out again.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Actually a 6 game road trip might not happen.  Weather looks dicey Tuesday and Wednesday.  Imagine that, the Tigers might get rained out again.

Manning re-investing his call-up money in cloud seeding.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have a different recipe:

Do lots more "Sifting".

We need to "Sift" through a bunch of the other kids available at Toledo to see who can stick...

And who can't.

And if a guy can't stick... trade him for something different.

(I will now reference my above post with the following trades: Jason Thompson traded for Al Cowens, Steve Kemp traded for Chet Lemon, John Wockenfuss and Glenn Wilson traded for Dave Bergman and Willie Hernandez).

The Marlins just traded Luis Arraez (2B, small, high-BA, high OBP, Slash in 6 MLB years: .325, .378, .424 = .803 career OPS) for 4 prospects...

If they had offered him to the Tigers for Torkelson straight-up... would anyone here have said "Yes."?

Just asking...

Food for thought.

I hope they don't repeat the Thompson for Cowens trade.  That never made sense to me.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Just a reminder:

After we "graduated" a ****load of kids from the minors to MLB named: Jason Thompson, Mark Fidrych, Steve Kemp, Phil Mankowski, Bruce Kimm, Bruce Taylor, Lance Parrish, Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker, Dave Rozema, Tim Corcoran, Steve Baker, Jack Morris, Dan Petry, Mark Wagner, Kip Young, Dave Stegman, Bob Sykes, Dave Tobik, Sheldon Burnside, Lynn Jones, Tom Brookens, Al Greene, Kirk Gibson, Ricky Peters, Dan Gonzalez, Bruce Robbins, Pat Underwood and  Mike Chris from 1976-79...

We STILL didn't win a World Series until 1984.

Sifting through a bunch of kids to see who sticks (for various reasons, Fidrych, Thompson, Kemp, Kimm, Wagner, Young, Sykes, Tobik, Baker, Corcoran, Stegman, Taylor, Jones, Peters, Gonzalez, Robbins, Underwood, Chris, Greene and Mankowski didn't make it to the Championship season)...

and who doesn't stick....

is both necessary and... painful.

And requires a ****load of patience.

(that is a list of ALL the guys we "graduated" from the minors from 1976 to 1979. A whole **** ton of 'em... and most of 'em flopped out or were traded for something different, or disappeared within a few years... Just sayin'...).

I don't even care if our rebuild is for a World Championship. If we consider the only successful rebuild is to win it all, it's been 40 years. I just want to see a team with a deep playoff run and to be competitive for several years. If Chris isn't willing to spend, I won't ever blame Harris. But how long should it realistically take? 5 years? 7?

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I hope they don't repeat the Thompson for Cowens trade.  That never made sense to me.  

I think they were trying to get less left-handed, but agree that was the wrong trade to do it - trading 25 for 30 is about the worst age swap possible - one guy going into his prime, the other coming out.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't even care if our rebuild is for a World Championship. If we consider the only successful rebuild is to win it all, it's been 40 years. I just want to see a team with a deep playoff run and to be competitive for several years. If Chris isn't willing to spend, I won't ever blame Harris. But how long should it realistically take? 5 years? 7?

He did spend, in 2022. One worked, kind of. The other didn't. He also spent in 2017. Same result. Spending big this offseason, especially for a bat, just didn't make sense, for various reasons. I'm not worried about Illitch spending, because he's already done it.  He will likely be more prudent than his father though. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Amazingly, he had the 5th highest OPS in today's starting line-up.  

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, Torkelson still has the highest probability of spontaneously righting himself of all the guys who are struggling.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

He did spend, in 2022. One worked, kind of. The other didn't. He also spent in 2017. Same result. Spending big this offseason, especially for a bat, just didn't make sense, for various reasons. I'm not worried about Illitch spending, because he's already done it.  He will likely be more prudent than his father though. 

Prudent? Didn't Chris OK the Javy signing? Huge mistake. I think our payroll is under $100 million. One of the first decisions Harris had to make was Candelario. We got Nick Maton instead. Saved some money but made us a worse team. Luckily, Avila left Harris some good pitching.

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think they were trying to get less left-handed, but agree that was the wrong trade to do it - trading 25 for 30 is about the worst age swap possible - one guy going into his prime, the other coming out.

I do miss those old MLB talent for MLB talent trades.  Every trade today is always one poor team trading high priced talent for a bunch of prospects and the team getting the prospects is on the losing end of the deal more often than not.  

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, Torkelson still has the highest probability of spontaneously righting himself of all the guys who are struggling.

I read he had 20 of his 31 home runs after the All Star break last year? So if he gets to 10 or so by mid-July, he may match last years production. Being streaky is one thing, ice cold is quite another.

49 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm not worried about any kind of spending yet...

There's still some more "Sifting" to do before we get to external spending decisions...

IMO.

And I do NOT have a timeline for that...

It goes more along the lines of: If we don't have it MLB, or in the minors, or Harris can work a trade for it (it being a "black hole position... let's call it "Shortstop", which is what we have at the moment...): And we are playoff-competitive...

Then go and spend the money.

Whenever (whatever timeline) that may be...

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

But we got to see Cowens attack that pitcher who broke his face with a HBP. I think it was the elder Farmer? Highly entertaining...😆😆

• Like 1

Anyways...

I think this is the hardest part right now...

"Sifting" through all the kids trying to figure out who can cut it and who can't...

Manning and Baddoo are right now sitting in Toledo unhappy about where they are at the moment...