5/6/24 6:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

I don't know if his off speed was at > 90 in prior years...

But I'm going to guess that that's his "secret to success". Changeup? Curveball? Both?

He's an effective pitcher by changing speeds though...

that's what it looks like to me anyways...

His changeup is doing it though...

Or... to restate that in G2's terms: If he put a couple MPH difference between his FB and CU... then the change in speeds is making his FB that much more effective. If you look at wOBA, not a huge FB difference. But a huge difference in CU and cutter wOBA. 

I think it's the variance in speeds between the pitches that is improving him across the board (manifested in different ways...).

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I would say going from -23 to 1 is the bigger outlier there 😅

I think too many baseball observers, and maybe even people on the inside who should know better, can get hung up on individual pitch type outcomes. The outcome is always the result of the sum of everything the batter sees. There is a always a limit to how much you can isolate the value of the properties of any given pitch from its fit in the the pitcher's repertoire and sequencing. Change-ups are maybe the most obvious case. If any pitcher just stood on the mound and threw his change 100% of the time his OPS against would soon be about 1200. All changeups are easy to hit pitches if taken in isolation. But depending on how it plays against the spreed and break of the fastball or breaking balls before it, the exact same pitch can become unhittable (e.g. Skubal). The pitch didn't change, only the context.

Edited by gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I would say going from -23 to 1 is the bigger outlier there 😅

It's a deceptive one.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist... it does... but you're not reading the context correctly.

Look at G2'sa post right after yours...

Also, look at the change in RV (Run Value) per 100:

FB change from 2023 to 2024 (-2.9 to +1.4 = ) 4.3 change in value.

CU change from 2023 to 2024 (0 to 4.5 = ) 4.5 change in value.

The difference in speed between the two pitches is improving BOTH pitches...

PS: And the Cutter and the CU are the more devastating pitches (or the FB much less bad than in 2023):

Pitch RV/100  Usage    wOBA Whif %   K %   PutAway% Hard hit %

FB-24    1.4     38.2 %    .427    13.7 %   16.7%   14.3 %     33.3%

FB-23  (-2.9)  41.6 %    .479     19.0 %   17.6%   15.7 %     57.3%

cutt-24   1.5     28.7 %    .114    37.8 %    35.7%   22.7 %     25.0%

cutt-23 (-0.3)  25.1 %    .378    29.1 %    17.9%   20.3 %     41.1%

CU-24    4.5    24.3 %   .075    56.0 %    58.3%   33.3 %     20.0%

CU-23    0.1    17.5 %     .296    31.8 %    16.5%   11.7 %     21.3%

CB-24 (-0.9)   8.8 %    .000    16.7 %    50.0%     6.3 %     0.0%

CB-23 (-0.9)  15.8 %    .285    28.5 %    33.3%   18.9 %     20.8%

I once said years ago Wentz would be better than Manning. I was wrong but hopefully they both contribute. But Wentz hasn’t pitched in crucial situations until yesterday so I wouldn’t get your hopes up just yet. 

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

1st Domino

Baddoo, Kennedy, or Malloy

Hiura = dark horse - to see him before the mobility thing kicks in

I want to make a rule that we double check and make sure guys aren't injured before speculating or calling for their promotion.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I want to make a rule that we double check and make sure guys aren't injured before speculating or calling for their promotion.

LOL - Can't check roster status for the Hens - the 'Roster Link' on their website has been broken for at least a few days.

Edited by gehringer_2

"Malloy hasn't played at Triple-A Toledo since Friday due to an undisclosed injury, Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press reported Tuesday

Tigers manager A.J. Hinch said Malloy is "banged up a little bit" but didn't disclose any specifics regarding the injury. The injury could have kept Malloy from a chance at the big-league roster considering Ryan Vilade was called up by the Tigers on Tuesday to replace Parker Meadows, who will join Malloy down at Triple-A."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/tigers-justyn-henry-malloy-still-banged-up/amp/

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Can't check roster status for the Hens - the 'Roster Link' on their website has been broken for at least a few days.

My spreadsheet "2024 Toledo" tab, when I am able to keep it updated has recent Toledo Lineups.

image.png.fb5caaa93f8afd3dca36ae5f1ac090f4.png

17 hours ago, Edman85 said:

My spreadsheet "2024 Toledo" tab, when I am able to keep it updated has recent Toledo Lineups.

image.png.fb5caaa93f8afd3dca36ae5f1ac090f4.png

Is your sheet not fully operable? I'm on the Toledo tab and I scroll right to look at additional dates and the names fly off the left side of the screen. It looks like you have Freeze Panes planted within it, so why is that not working for me? Or does it work only for you, the owner of the worksheet?