5/7/24 6:10PM Tigers @ Indians

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Lower than righties in 2022 and 23.

Higher in 2021 and so far this year.

You win by...

a small sample size...

😉

If you regress his career stats to 1000 PA vs LHP, it is a significant split.

In most line-ups, it would not make sense to bat Ibanez leadoff even against lefties.  The Tigers line-up is not most line-ups.  One thing about Hinch is he doesn't manage his roster based on hunches, but rather data.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Tonight the Guardians smoked Kenta Maeda like a cigar. Luckily, Andy Ibanez and Ryan Vilade quickly returned the favor in the same game.

Cle had 8 LH hitters in the line-up. If there was ever a night when an Opener would have been in order. Give Holton the 1st pass through the line-up  - or the 1st two innings - whichever comes 1st, then go to Kenta. Might have been a different outcome for Maeda....or not. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by gehringer_2

On base twice was nice but to me it was still depressing to see Tork still so totally committed to pulling the ball so excessively. In fact, he is catching it so far in front it's going to be hard to ever get it in the air enough to get it out of the ball park - assuming that is what is trying in the worst way to do. 

For tomorrow, BP look OK. Holton is spent, Faedo: probably don't want to use but could (17P; 2-U&D);   Lange maybe (20P), Chafin (11P and the rest are good to go.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Cle had 8 LH hitters in the line-up. If there was ever a night when an Opener would have been in order. Give Holton the 1st pass through the line-up  - or the 1st two innings - whichever comes 1st, then go to Kenta. Might have been a different outcome for Maeda....or not. 🤷‍♂️

Bad start.

I'm still confident that we will see the historical May-September Maeda going forward.  And I'll also add in that he's got a good postseason resume.

Just now, casimir said:

Win the series today, and they're only 3 games out of the division lead.

They are two games above .500 and have a positive run differential. All despite multiple players not playing to their potential.

You'd think we were talking about the 2019 team with the way people talk about them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They are two games above .500 and have a positive run differential. All despite multiple players not playing to their potential.

You'd think we were talking about the 2019 team with the way people talk about them.

This start has been enjoyable.  There's flaws, sure.  But, come on, let's stop and soak in a winning record this late in the season for once.

22 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if some of these bats were just really bad, instead of god awful, they would be in 1st place

I don't get why they are sticking with Tork and Keith for so long. They both have options. They have guys at Toledo with ML experience. They sent Meadows down and he has value defensively and on the bases.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I don't get why they are sticking with Tork and Keith for so long. They both have options. They have guys at Toledo with ML experience. They sent Meadows down and he has value defensively and on the bases.

Because he's given you 8 bases in the last 3 games. No-one in the system other than Riley can do what Torkelson can do at any time the switch flips  for him, so you give him more rope than anyone else in the system short of Riley. Even with his head screwed on wrong right he is still hitting doubles.

In Keith's case, his AB are pretty good, he's having absolutely terrible BaBIP luck. His expected BA is 240, which ain't great but passable for a 2B you need to let develop.

Meadows needs mechanical work on his swing, he was swinging under everything. That's a good task to do in the minors, plus Perez is playing well so far.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hopefully, Jake starts hitting. There are signs he's coming around. That would be huge!

He will, but he won't be huge all by himself.  They need multiple hitters to improve. 

Posted (edited)

all those years with Leyland, Ausmus and Gardenhire, the sky had to  falling to see both catchers in the game. Hinch says - hold my beer, dummies.

I remember Ausmus especially always drove me crazy - putting his team at a disadvantage to cover some incredibly small probability situation  - apparently just to be able to prove he was smart enough to  game out some scenario that was never going to happen anyway.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

.844 OPS the past 15 days.

I always thought that if they would let him play 120 games he would hit .230 with 20 home runs, which these days would make a very good number 9 hitter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I always thought that if they would let him play 120 games he would hit .230 with 20 home runs, which these days would make a very good number 9 hitter.

That could fit just about anywhere in the bottom half of the lineup...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes. Kelly should not be considered equal to Rogers but a backup.  

Edited by SoCalTiger

Carson Kelly, at the plate, looks like a pitcher batting.... as in "I don't do this that often but in High School this is what I did and I mashed pretty good so I'll do that here..."

• Like 1