5/8/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

What I don’t understand about bringing Foley in for the 7th is that, I think anyway, he is the best reliever?  So, he’s being brought in to face 5-6-7 when the game is going to come around to 1-2-3-4 even if the relief is perfect though the 7th and 8th.  I don’t think your “closer” needs to be only used in the 9th.

I can more understand bringing him in there if the top of the lineup were due up in the 7th and 8th innings, and Foley was to get that string of hitters.  I would think bridging until then with Foley would have been what happened today.

Besides that, Olson was doing fine.  I think his only stressful inning was due to Ibanez’ error?  I know he was up against 90, but if it’s a relatively unstressful 90, let him pitch.  Have the bullpen ready, don’t let him face the tying run.

29 minutes ago, kdog said:

The Tigers operate on very thin margins because they have so many dead spots in the lineup. They cannot afford to make any mistakes on defense or in pitching execution.

Until the offense improves, we are going win and lose toss up games because it's hard to win all of them. This is one of those times.

Well, except for the fact that they have won some of these one run games already.  But you’re probably right, they’re going to win more games on the count of low scoring where the pitching is very good and the defense near flawless.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, casimir said:

What I don’t understand about bringing Foley in for the 7th is that, I think anyway, he is the best reliever?  So, he’s being brought in to face 5-6-7 when the game is going to come around to 1-2-3-4 even if the relief is perfect though the 7th and 8th.  I don’t think your “closer” needs to be only used in the 9th.

I can more understand bringing him in there if the top of the lineup were due up in the 7th and 8th innings, and Foley was to get that string of hitters.  I would think bridging until then with Foley would have been what happened today.

Besides that, Olson was doing fine.  I think his only stressful inning was due to Ibanez’ error?  I know he was up against 90, but if it’s a relatively unstressful 90, let him pitch.  Have the bullpen ready, don’t let him face the tying run.

Right now there is almost nothing to pick between Foley, Lange, Chafin and even Vest. Hinch has his match-up tables that's pretty much as complicated as it gets. Foley had a nice stretch early when he was lights out but in general he does gives up contact. He wanted LHP to close against a heavy LH team and the RH hitter in the mix got him. You can't use pitchers for one hitter anymore - that's life. There was nothing wrong with Hinch's decision matrix (haha - listen to me defend Hinch). He put them in a position to execute and they didn't. They gave up 2 errors  and had  7 hits and no walks in 10 innings. You won't win many on the road against a 600 team with that output esp without the long ball.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Right now there is almost nothing to pick between Foley, Lange, Chafin and even Vest. Hinch has his match-up tables that pretty much as complicated as it gets. Foley had a nice stretch early when he was lights out but in general he does gives up contact. He wanted LH'er to close against a heavy LH team and the RH hitter in the mix got him. You can't use pitchers for one hitter anymore - that's life.

Foley was giving up some pretty hard contact as well. For years fans complained that managers managed their bullpens too rigidly. Along comes a manager who shows flexibility and the fans are still unhappy. You play a lot of low-scoring games and your bullpen will blow a few. How about the Tigers stop playing so many low-scoring games. 

Just now, SeattleMike said:

Foley was giving up some pretty hard contact as well. For years fans complained that managers managed their bullpens too rigidly. Along comes a manager who shows flexibility and the fans are still unhappy. You play a lot of low-scoring games and your bullpen will blow a few. How about the Tigers stop playing so many low-scoring games. 

I've had a suspicion for a long time that there is something wrong with the way the Tigers/Hinch manage and prep hitters, but the one thing I've almost never found my self wondering about with Hinch is his pitcher management. He is really damn good at it and if the Tigers have any chance at all that will be one of the reasons why.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Not if you're leading in the 9th and the only task required is to close the door.

Don't give up the 9th inning run and we win.

And the previous 3 runs are moot point.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Don't listen to Gehringer_2.  He don't know what he talking about.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We’re at a best a .500 team, so not surprised to see water seeking it’s own level with us.

Poor Reese.  Might win an ERA title without getting a W.

getting close to the magic 40 games and it looks like a .500 team not much different then everyone thought at the start of the season

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know the game is a little different now, but isn't it funny how guys like Sparky and Leyland just put their best 9 out there and let them go and they somehow managed to win?    Just pick your best guys and put them in the roles they're meant for.    This ain't a video game. 

Name the best nine players we have right now who would win us a pennant like Sparky and Leyland did. 

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I guess i dont get blaming Hinch that Chafin and Lange didnt do thier jobs.... why not blame the players

Haven’t you learned yet that when the Tigers win it’s because of the players, and when the Tigers lose it’s because of M.F. Hinch?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Haven’t you learned yet that when the Tigers win it’s because of the players, and when the Tigers lose it’s because of M.F. Hinch?

and when the Lions lose its the QB and the Wings lose its the Goalie

43 minutes ago, casimir said:

Foley coming in during the seventh might have been due to specific matchups, or it might have been due to the fact that Foley fell off the horse after getting crushed blowing a save in his last appearance, or it might have been due to something else we civilians don’t know. I haven’t heard hinch’s postgame, maybe he addressed it there. 

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The manager gets a one year homeymoon.  In Hinch's first year, he was a genius who could do no wrong.  Now, each year he gets dumber and dumber.  It was the same with Leyland.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The manager gets a one year homeymoon.  In Hinch's first year, he was a genius who could do no wrong.  Now, each year he gets dumber and dumber.  It was the same with Leyland.

The only flipside I would say is:

If a team is crap and losing 100 games then it's easy to just say "Ain't got the players". And if a team is winning 100+ games nobody cares (mostly) about a manager's decisions because... well, winning. But with a team that's barely scraping by at around .500 and winning or losing games by the thinnest of margins... Makes every decision a manager makes subject to second guessing.

I don't normally say anything about a manager's decisions...

And losing 100 or so games the past 7 years, right after a spate of years winning 100 or so games... made that easy.

Now... I love AJ Hinch...

But I'm feeling critical all of a sudden...

By the thinnest of margins.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know the game is a little different now, but isn't it funny how guys like Sparky and Leyland just put their best 9 out there and let them go and they somehow managed to win?    Just pick your best guys and put them in the roles they're meant for.    This ain't a video game. 

when he gets a team with more then one all-star and a HOFer Position player then we can compare... Sparky and Leyland had way more talent then Hinch ever had 

Edited by Toddwert
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would not even think about removing Hinch but the honeymoon is long over. Same for Harris. No it’s not fair but we have endured a decade of evaluation so turn up the heat and press down on the pedal. 

And with a run one lead in the ninth and bases loaded Foley remains the best for me in the bullpen. Just don’t pitch him to death. Let him close period to stay fresh. 

Edited by SoCalTiger

4 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would not even think about removing Hinch but the honeymoon is long over. Same for Harris. No it’s not fair but we have endured a decade of evaluation so turn up the heat and press down on the pedal. 

I don’t know, that seems a bit harsh.  Yes, the fan base has endured for while now.  But that’s not all on Hinch and Harris.

39 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know, that seems a bit harsh.  Yes, the fan base has endured for while now.  But that’s not all on Hinch and Harris.

Yeah, Harris has only been here, what, a year and a half? Give him a few more years to get some of his draft choices to Detroit. As for trades, all we had in the past was garbage to offer. We remember what Randy Smith did with garbage, just traded it for other teams garbage. Free agents are mind blowing expensive. At least, quality free agents. And we don't know if he has payroll limitations or not. Hinch I don't have any opinion on. The talent on this team is limited. I question many of his moves but I'm sure there are reasons behind them. Just stop leading Greene off...😁😁

58 minutes ago, casimir said:

I agree with you but they still need to keep that in mind.  

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think it's fair. Look, they built a playoff-worthy pitching staff and were content to go into the season with a lineup of mostly unproven rookies and journeymen. Fans have a right to be irritated. I'd love to see a DD-type blockbuster where we move some of our vaunted minor league assets for a proven MLB stud, but I don't know that either Ilitch or Harris have that in them.