Project Autocracy

romad1

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I read recently that military aged americans 18-25 that over 50% (yes you read the right) would not pass the inbound physical due to being Obese. We have become the fatter version of the dough boys.

probably.  So for the first 6 months these conscripts would be enjoying radical body modification (lipo, cool sculpting, semiglutide shots, hard dietary changes, and solid fitness activity)  in order to get them where they could serve as well as learning combat skills.   

Just now, romad1 said:

probably.  So for the first 6 months these conscripts would be enjoying radical body modification (lipo, cool sculpting, semiglutide shots, hard dietary changes, and solid fitness activity)  in order to get them where they could serve as well as learning combat skills.   

We could also incentivize kids to show up to their MEPS in shape with a stipend.  

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

Having watched German conscripts tear up the fields of bavaria with their tanks because "who cares, we are just conscripts" I can imagine it won't yield the results we want.  Finding a better way to incentivize smart suburban kids to take a chunk out of their lives to serve voluntarily would be good.   I don't know how to do that except create bleak economic conditions for them and I don't want to do that. 

21st century GI Bill. Serve 2 yrs, go to college of your choice for free. Kids would be lining up. And the bonus is It would put the Federal gov's interest in the position of demanding lower tuition rates from US colleges instead of just subsidizing more bank loans. Win-Win

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I read recently that military aged americans 18-25 that over 50% (yes you read the right) would not pass the inbound physical due to being Obese. We have become the fatter version of the dough boys.

This is also so much a class thing. Poor nutritional upbringing effects are strongly income correlated.

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

21st century GI Bill. Serve 2 yrs, go to college of your choice for free. Kids would be lining up. And the bonus is It would put the Federal gov's interest in the position of demanding lower tuition rates from US colleges instead of just subsidizing more bank loans. Win-Win

Give us 3 years and we pay for a Masters.

Whether the requirement is six months, or a year, or two or three, and however narrowly or broadly the term "service" is defined, the main problem with it will be the inequities built into the system, in part related to exemptions for those who grow up in the upper 1% or so and cushy comfortable assignments for those in the next couple or so percent; and in part related to unfair distribution of punishment for those who go AWOL where harshness correlates to poverty level and class. That would likely lead to public confidence in the system collapsing at some point.

Edited by chasfh

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The red hat constituency knows nothing about basic economics. But they do know they hate Chinese products flooding the USA and putting them out of jobs.

They also buy those products at Walmart, hate people of color and immigrants.  We shouldn't listen to people like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I would think just about anyone who stays in Louisiana, or any of the deep red confederate states, either embraces the fascism or simply can’t escape.

Probalby what keeps them going against the general exodus of their educated young people are businesses that keep restocking the pipeline of reasonably high performing people by transferring operations there to capture low wage costs.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I would think just about anyone who stays in Louisiana, or any of the deep red confederate states, either embraces the fascism or simply can’t escape.

I've always wanted to retire to someplace warm but I really am considering politics in where ever I go.... but who am i kidding?  I'll probably go wherever my son goes, if he goes anywhere.

TN was always a dream because of my family there but I'm really only close to a handful that's left and 3 of those are over 70.  And politically it's a **** hole.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 8:19 AM, chasfh said:

Tim Miller (Bulwark Podcast) recently moved there and brought up his experience and basically stated you can find a community that fits you just about anywhere.  Every Red state has blue areas and even the reddest states generally have 40% voting for democrats in most state elections.

22 hours ago, oblong said:

I've always wanted to retire to someplace warm but I really am considering politics in where ever I go.... but who am i kidding?  I'll probably go wherever my son goes, if he goes anywhere.

TN was always a dream because of my family there but I'm really only close to a handful that's left and 3 of those are over 70.  And politically it's a **** hole.  

Now on the flip side.... My conservative (fiscally as it turns out) aunt and uncle moved there pre-Trump, probably 2010'ish.  Retired and moved down near Nashville.  Both were extremely active in the community and with their church and absolutely loved it.  That said, as Trump came around, they noticed changes they didn't like.  The church they were involved in all of a sudden had an issue with their daughter (who is married to a women), it was never an issue before.  My aunt, even retired, remains an advocate for Credit Unions and is always aware of all financial legislation at both the state/fed level and she had republicans she liked which she could work/discuss things with that were now busy pushing Trump 'stuff'.  Top it off with a few of their closest friends moving or passing away and it didn't take them long to head to DC (well, Maryland).  

40 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Tim Miller (Bulwark Podcast) recently moved there and brought up his experience and basically stated you can find a community that fits you just about anywhere.  Every Red state has blue areas and even the reddest states generally have 40% voting for democrats in most state elections.

It doesn’t matter how blue an area is as long as they are still subject to cristofascist laws passed by their blood-red state legislatures about choice, gender identity, religion in the public square, voting rights, and the like.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Now on the flip side.... My conservative (fiscally as it turns out) aunt and uncle moved there pre-Trump, probably 2010'ish.  Retired and moved down near Nashville.  Both were extremely active in the community and with their church and absolutely loved it.  That said, as Trump came around, they noticed changes they didn't like.  The church they were involved in all of a sudden had an issue with their daughter (who is married to a women), it was never an issue before.  My aunt, even retired, remains an advocate for Credit Unions and is always aware of all financial legislation at both the state/fed level and she had republicans she liked which she could work/discuss things with that were now busy pushing Trump 'stuff'.  Top it off with a few of their closest friends moving or passing away and it didn't take them long to head to DC (well, Maryland).  

NBC wrote an article a while ago about people reevaluating Florida or choosing to leave, discussing a number of factors including skyrocketing cost of living, property insurance rates and (of course) political climate.... Nate Silver, of course, had to respond and basically trashed the article because the data suggests that Florida remains popular. 

Silver isn't wrong, but data is a lagging indicator.... I don't expect the overall trend of "north to south" to change, certainly with boomers being a large demo relative to their younger peers and with boomers all hitting retirement age, that in and of itself will keep population growth health in the south. But if this was starting to happen, you wouldn't see it immediately - it would show up gradually over time in the data. I don't know if rates of growth will decline going forward or not (I doubt it myself), but sometimes data analyst types can miss the forest through the trees if they just ignore anything qualitative that doesn't reflect in last year's population estimates.

Having said all of that, I think there *is* a story about people choosing to move back up north or second guessing moves to the south as well. And it's not necessarily all political - some of it is simply not wanting to move away from family or being miserable all the time during the summer. The hidden costs of being down south as well - anecdotal of course, but we have now have a state income tax and somewhat higher property taxes compared to living in Texas (not to mention gas prices), but it costs less for property insurance and home heating / electric and utilities overall where we live now. Government services are better, schools are better, etc. There are tradeoffs to the lifestyle down there that tend to get lost in these discussions that focus exclusively on taxes, and that shouldn't be brushed aside IMO.

And for demographic data to reflect a change in attitudes, it's not going to happen overnight.... people have been talking about Detroit's upswing for a while now, yet it took until last year (per the latest estimates) to reverse a 40+ year streak of population declines. This stuff just takes time to manifest.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

NBC wrote an article a while ago about people reevaluating Florida...

Another thing that is hitting FLA is that It's  becoming increasingly difficult/expensive to insure a home anywhere near the coast.

How do you normalize the big crimes?  By hooking your employees on drugs, maybe?

I always wondered how Stephen Miller's new bride went to the Mexican border and saw all the people at the intake facilities and came away unmoved.  Well, either she's really far gone or maybe she's using to help quiet her conscience.

On 6/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, oblong said:

We scouted the Cookeville area. This was after a good experience visiting for the filming of Bluegrass Underground a few years ago (when they used the caverns in McMinnville). One of my wife's associates ran the PBS station there.

We went back a few months later for a bit more exploring (Crossville, Sparta, Rickman, etc). The vibe just wasn't there. We basically felt the same way about areas like Asheville and Spartanburg, nice places to visit but we really didn't want to end up there for whatever reasons.

28 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

We scouted the Cookeville area. This was after a good experience visiting for the filming of Bluegrass Underground a few years ago (when they used the caverns in McMinnville). One of my wife's associates ran the PBS station there.

We went back a few months later for a bit more exploring (Crossville, Sparta, Rickman, etc). The vibe just wasn't there. We basically felt the same way about areas like Asheville and Spartanburg, nice places to visit but we really didn't want to end up there for whatever reasons.

Cookeville is where my family is from.  My ancestors have been there since the civil war.  What makes C-Ville so great is having TN Tech there so you get that crowd. 

And they've really changed the downtown area.  But if they didn't have that it wouldn't be special.  And like everywhere else, what once was land is now a subdivision.  But without my aunts and uncles nad cousins... Cookeville wouldn't have any reason for me to be there other than to visit cemetaries.