Project Autocracy

romad1

We have free speech because we had a very messy war with the Nazis and a cold war with the Soviet Union.  The GWOT accomplished one big thing besides tamping down the likelihood of terrorist attacks by young idiots fevered up by Jihad rhetoric:  It made the US have large influx of immigrants from the countries we allied with in that war.  Just as Vietnam assured a large influx of Vietnamese and other SE Asian folk.  

Posted (edited)

Not sure how showing a little respect to a Vet attending a sporting event (Chas's example) turned into invading Iraq. So when the frail old Vietnam Vet stands to be recognized at an event be sure to turn your back or better yet spit on them. I say spit because when my Dad flew back in 69 he was met by "protesters" who spit on him and called him a baby killer. Helluva welcome home party! 

I guess thats what makes America great we can defend our opinions or disagree with others and still respect each other. My kid wants to join the Marines when he turns 18 that will make him the 5th generation of our family to be potentially sent to a war zone. No one in my family has graduated college (Daughter is college Jr so almost there!) or paid their homes off before they died. White lower middle class and dang proud!

Edited by Tigeraholic1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Not sure how showing a little respect to a Vet attending a sporting event (Chas's example) turned into invading Iraq. So when the frail old Vietnam Vet stands to be recognized at an event be sure to turn your back or better yet spit on them. I say spit because when my Dad flew back in 69 he was met by "protesters" who spit on him and called him a baby killer. Helluva welcome home party! 

I guess thats what makes America great we can defend our opinions or disagree with others and still respect each other. My kid wants to join the Marines when he turns 18 that will make him the 5th generation of our family to be potentially sent to a war zone. No one in my family has graduated college (Daughter is college Jr so almost there!) or paid their homes off before they died. White lower middle class and dang proud!

But I do have a problem with people like reactionary  NFL owners wrapping themselves in the flag by fawning over vets in their venues to try to polish their 1%er PR while being generally destructive political forces towards the general welfare and even those Vets. That's not the Vets' fault of course, but it makes me cringe at a sporting event when it happens because of the subtext of what is really going on.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But I do have a problem with people like reactionary  NFL owners wrapping themselves in the flag by fawning over vets in their venues to try to polish their 1%er PR while being generally destructive political forces towards the general welfare and even those Vets. That's not the Vets' fault of course, but it makes me cringe at a sporting event when it happens because of the subtext of what is really going on.

The best part is the US military is paying the NFL to parade themselves around the field. 

Being one of the lone conservatives on this forum, i'm a huge fan of the military.  So pro military that even back in my "working with Ann Arbor people" I had a huge argument over Audioslave's "doesn't remind me" video as they claimed it was some anti war crap, but we all know Cornell was paid by the CIA to help drum up how cool it is to serve.

That said, and please take no offense Tigerholic, but this thread reminded me of a reddit thread my BIL sent me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/justdependathings/

I'm trying to get my SIL to change her behavior so she can be like this. So far she's not going for it, but she needs to realize her husband walks on water and therefore she shouldn't be on the same level as anyone else she deals with on a daily basis.

Juxtapose all this with Trump's disdain for things military.  His experience with all of that was from his time at a very FU military school where he fine-tuned his sociopathic behavior. 

Just now, oblong said:

You mean when he didn't want disabled/disfigured vets around?  "nobody wants to see that"

and calling them suckers for being killed.  John Kelly really didn't like that.   Mike Flynn and his brother apparently had no problems with that because their broken brains have somehow been able to avoid court martial for insurrection and sedition. 

The more I think of this more angry I get.   

U.S. Capitol attack[edit]

During the 2021 storming of the United States Capitol, a conference call took place between Capitol police, D.C. officials, and Pentagon officials. In that call, the Chief of the Capitol police made "an urgent, urgent immediate request for National Guard assistance", telling them he needed "boots on the ground". However, Lieutenant General Walter E. Piatt, Director of the Army Staff, said he could not recommend the request be approved.[9] Initially denying his involvement, the Army later confirmed that Flynn had participated in the phone call, although it claimed he cannot remember if he said anything on the critical call about deploying National Guard, but others on the call reported hearing his voice.[10] In early December 2021, Colonel Earl G. Matthews released a memo that accused Flynn of making willful distortions of the events of 6 January, describing Flynn and Piatt as "absolute and unmitigated liars" and of giving “perjured testimony before Congress”.[11] Charles Flynn's role drew scrutiny in light of his brother Michael's recent calls for martial law and a redo election overseen by the military.[10]

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I really don't want to have my kid fighting in Trump's army to invade states that refuse to enforce the national religion.  I don't want my kid marching at gunpoint to resegregate the schools or punish Trump or the Trump family's political enemies. 

Edited by romad1

No mandatory military service.  I'm not opposed to mandatory service but that is a very broad definition... serving your community in some way.  coach a team.  officiate in a sports league.  Run the clock or scorebook.  Be a crossing guard.  Meals on wheels.  work in a food pantry.  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

No mandatory military service.  I'm not opposed to mandatory service but that is a very broad definition... serving your community in some way.  coach a team.  officiate in a sports league.  Run the clock or scorebook.  Be a crossing guard.  Meals on wheels.  work in a food pantry.  

IF we were at war.  Heck yes.  And I mean a national mobilization war against China.   But, whatever the f Trump and his oligarchs want do to the Constitution with our kids, no way. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

yes. having everyone do some sort of mandatory 6-12 month service (military, national, international, state) would be great to help address the fraying of the fabric of America

16 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

yes. having everyone do some sort of mandatory 6-12 month service (military, national, international, state) would be great to help address the fraying of the fabric of America

2 years minimum.  No matter what kind of service.   Training for combat arms takes at least 6 months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm all for mandatory military service so long as it includes Trump himself. Send Corporal Bone Spurs to Afghanistan for a few years.

Having watched German conscripts tear up the fields of bavaria with their tanks because "who cares, we are just conscripts" I can imagine it won't yield the results we want.  Finding a better way to incentivize smart suburban kids to take a chunk out of their lives to serve voluntarily would be good.   I don't know how to do that except create bleak economic conditions for them and I don't want to do that. 

Why would any person want to serve in the military when they would be sent off to war to fight for, checks notes . . . No bid oil contracts for **** Cheney and Haliburton. I get wanting to fight to defend the homeland after 9/11 or Pearl Harbor. I don't get wanting to die in a war where the President and his administration sold lies to the American people so an oil company could get no bid contracts in Iraq.

31 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why would any person want to serve in the military when they would be sent off to war to fight for, checks notes . . . No bid oil contracts for **** Cheney and Haliburton. I get wanting to fight to defend the homeland after 9/11 or Pearl Harbor. I don't get wanting to die in a war where the President and his administration sold lies to the American people so an oil company could get no bid contracts in Iraq.

Agree 100%

the average age of the Ukrainian army is 43 I read the other day.  Can you imagine? 

We no longer have an agrarian population or one where large families are common so there are no "surplus" teenagers like there used to be.  We also have a conflict environment where technical acumen is required to be effective.   

What we do have are immigrants who come in and do the work.  Orwell said it well.  

We all live by robbing Asiatic coolies, [maybe insert Latin Americans here] and those of us who are 'enlightened' all maintain that those coolies ought to be set free; but our standard of living, and hence our 'enlightenment,' demands that the robbery shall continue.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I really don't want to have my kid fighting in Trump's army to invade states that refuse to enforce the national religion.  I don't want my kid marching at gunpoint to resegregate the schools or punish Trump or the Trump family's political enemies. 

The guy who convinced a doctor he had bad feet to get out of serving now wants to make military service mandatory? How about Trump serving six weeks in boot camp? I doubt the guy could survive a weekly session of cardio/pulmonary rehab

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The guy who convinced a doctor he had bad feet to get out of serving now wants to make military service mandatory? How about Trump serving six weeks in boot camp? I doubt the guy could survive a weekly session of cardio/pulmonary rehab

Trump learned how to be a better sadist in military school.   He was already learning that from Fred Trump.  We don't need that sick weirdo being commander in chief again. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the average age of the Ukrainian army is 43 I read the other day.  Can you imagine? 

We no longer have an agrarian population or one where large families are common so there are no "surplus" teenagers like there used to be.  We also have a conflict environment where technical acumen is required to be effective.   

What we do have are immigrants who come in and do the work.  Orwell said it well.  

I read recently that military aged americans 18-25 that over 50% (yes you read the right) would not pass the inbound physical due to being Obese. We have become the fatter version of the dough boys.