5/13/24 6:40PM Marlins @ Tigers

19 minutes ago, kdog said:

This past offseason was a bad free agent class. Guessing the Baez deal made them de-risk everything. Sign guys on the fringes and wait out/develop the hitting over the long term.

Pitching and 'defense' to prevent runs..hope and a prayer for offense until things are settled with various young players.

But we're still waiting on 2 or 3 more young guys. Another "evaluation" season in '25? Maybe in '26, too? How much longer will fans be patient? PS...don't ask Lions fans....lol

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and Wenceel keeps hitting.

I know,  I fully expect that bubble to burst.     Like - he doesn't know anything yet - he has no reason to think yet and I feel like the second he does he'll be toast.     too bad he stopped being a Shortstop.  

Sending Meadows down seems to have lit a fire under Tork and Keith

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know,  I fully expect that bubble to burst.     Like - he doesn't know anything yet - he has no reason to think yet and I feel like the second he does he'll be toast. 

one would like to think an international kid who's been a pro pretty much since he was 16 would have a better chance of holding steady mentally. The thing is, even if he has his head on right - that doesn't mean he may not have holes in his swing and if he does MLB pitchers will find them. The second hundred PA will tell.

10 hours ago, kdog said:

This season is the four corners offense...waiting out young players, waiting out bad contracts...just waiting for something to happen.

Waiting out bad contracts?  There's one.  And he still provides plenty of defense and baserunning (well, ok, this is few and far between given the bat).

I saw that Riley has elite level swing speed while being in the upper half in terms of shortest swing. Perfect combination whereas Baez has the elite swing speed(tops on the team and I believe top 10 in baseball) but as you said he legit has the longest swing in all of baseball which obviously isn't good.

On a side note the data is nice but considering guys use different weight bats it isn't a clear apples to apples comparison.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

2 homers down.  38 to go for Tork.  

Still leading MLB in doubles, too.

So, wait, is it going to be like reverse Lent?  Is he going to going 40 straight games with a homer and that's how he is getting to 40?  He's got the first 2 games in a row down already.  It seems like that might be a record.

Edited by casimir