2024 NBA Draft Prelude

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i'm not taking a dude at 5 who is that small and that unathletic.  yeah, he jumps high at the combine, but he cant move side to side.  he wont be able to stay in front of nba guards.

i dont see it.  he's tj mcconnell.  he's marcus sasser.  he's not a top 5 pick.  please give me taller.  please give me the ability to drive and score.  or please give me defense.

you see what i did there?  i just guaranteed he's the next mark price.  youre welcome reed.

Reed is #3 on my board and I would jump for joy if we landed him at 5 based upon what I'm seeing in this draft. But, he's not going to last that long.

I'll take TJ McConnell with a 50% three ball, a 40" vert, and 3 stocks per game all day long. Worst case, he's your 6th man for a long, long time.

17 hours ago, Deleterious said:

No serious draft experts are calling him that.  Vecenie doesn't even list him in the top 60 of his last mock.

givony does now.

rich paul is his agent and lebron james is his dad, he's definitely going to get picked by someone.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Yea, they may want to trade the pick. I’m sure the pistons do too. Doesn’t mean anyone wants it. 

Smells like a draft with a lot of talk and not a lot of movement. 

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not in the ****ing lottery.

no, but you said top 60.  givony has him at 54, i think.

not a huge prospect and not a lottery pick, but someone that some team will either overdraft for the publicity/lebron dreams or take a flyer on in late round 2.

phoenix apparently has dreams of getting lebron somehow shoehorned into that team.  it wouldnt shock me if ishbidiot drafted bronny in round 2.  (if they have a pick, i dont even know if they have one left anymore)

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Yup. Proposed this a few weeks ago in the other thread based upon some chatter from Omari/Bryce:

Blazers get pick #5, Fournier's expiring, and a young prospect (Sasser or Grimes or something)
Pistons get pick #7, and Grant('s contract)

Pistons still have about 40M in cap available after that. Portland is no longer capped out and they can actually do something to rebuild.

Now go pick Devin Carter at 7, or maybe Knecht if you want a shorter version of Bogie.

Posted (edited)

Can someone with more basketball knowledge than me tell me why we don't want the Pistons to draft Dalton Knecht? An explosive, offensive minded,  6'6 wing who can shoot 43%+ from the 3pt line. Is he a liability on the other end on defense? Is he a Luke Kennard-esque spot shooter who can't create his own shots and scoring opportunities?

What's the knock on Knecht and why we wouldn't want him at #5?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Can someone with more basketball knowledge than me tell me why we don't want the Pistons to draft Dalton Knecht? An explosive, offensive minded,  6'6 wing who can shoot 43%+ from the 3pt line. Is he a liability on the other end on defense? Is he a Luke Kennard-esque spot shooter who can't create his own shots and scoring opportunities?

What's the knock on Knecht and why we wouldn't want him at #5?

The two knocks on him are his abysmal defense and his age (23). He would be a legitimate scorer in year one but only plays one side of the ball and is probably pretty near his ceiling.

In any normal draft he'd go somewhere in the 15-30 range, where he'd be a great fit for an already contending team needing a bench scorer that requires less development.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Betrayer said:

The two knocks on him are his abysmal defense and his age (23). He would be a legitimate scorer in year one but only plays one side of the ball and is probably pretty near his ceiling.

In any normal draft he'd go somewhere in the 15-30 range, where he'd be a great fit for an already contending team needing a bench scorer that requires less development.

On a good team, looking to make a deep playoff run, would Dalton be in the starting 5 of that team?

Wrong question in my opinion. Only two things matter. 

1. Is he the best player left on the board? 

If so then

2. Is he better than whatever trading the pick will bring back to Detroit? 

If yes to both then you have your guy.