5/15/24 1:10PM Marlins @ Tigers

SSS theater...but Greene and Canha can't have a bad 15 days. Baez, Keith, Tork, and catchers have been so feeble that you need your best hitters to be great all year..but it's unrealistic. The real solution is to have more depth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Ok perhaps there a lot more bad offenses this year? They are 21st in runs for whatever that's worth.

Not sure.  They were 4.00 R/G vs 4.33 league average entering today, which was 21st like you said.  Last season they were 4.08 vs 4.62, which was 28th.

Egads, the White Sox are on their own little planet this season.....

image.thumb.png.30bfde1a3aad91f575e85fadd3bab07a.png

I don't want Harris to panic or listen to people screaming to do something and end up trading some of our young talent. IMO, Jung, Max Clark and Jobe should all be untouchable. Maybe Olson too. Everyone else should be available. This offense totally stinks and we're wasting very good pitching. And if we start getting injuries to our staff, we may end up giving the WSox a run for last place. ALL the hitters are slumping? Maybe make a coaching change? This approach to winning the battle to two strikes isn't working...

49 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Does Jeff Greenberg have any authority to make decisions concerning this team? I cannot believe he and Scott Harris are in complete agreement on what is currently taking place with the Tigers. I wonder if Greenberg regrets leaving the NHL and the Chicago Blackhawks?

Greenberg hates the Tigers

25 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Shutout by the Marlins…at home…. TWICE!!!  This can’t happen! The entire team is underperforming offensively and we’re going to blame the GM right? When does the coaching staff have to answer for this?

Fire them all, release all the players, sell the team and move it to Nashville before the White Sox get there!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, kdog said:

SSS theater...but Greene and Canha can't have a bad 15 days. Baez, Keith, Tork, and catchers have been so feeble that you need your best hitters to be great all year..but it's unrealistic. The real solution is to have more depth.

I think we’ll get there. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Edited by chasfh

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't want Harris to panic or listen to people screaming to do something and end up trading some of our young talent. IMO, Jung, Max Clark and Jobe should all be untouchable. Maybe Olson too. Everyone else should be available.  

That’s right! Skubal … GONE! Riley … GONE! Wenceel … GONE! Colt Keith … GONE! All of them, GONE!  Except four guys. We can do it!! 😉

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s right! Skubal … GONE! Riley … GONE! Wenceel … GONE! Colt Keith … GONE! All of them, GONE!  Except four guys. We can do it!! 😉

Of course, our ace shouldn't be moved. At least, not yet. Greene? Keith? If the deal is right...maybe. 

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Of course, our ace shouldn't be moved. At least, not yet. Greene? Keith? If the deal is right...maybe. 

Well look, if you’re gonna flip the future linchpins of your offense for even younger, even greener minor leaguers who are even farther away from making a contribution, then you might as well liquidate all your future linchpin pitching, too. Especially since Skubal isn’t going to want to stick around an organization explicitly committed to giving up and going nowhere. 

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe make a coaching change? This approach to winning the battle to two strikes isn't working...

I don't see there can be much to lose by staring over with a new hitting staff and a different approach. If someone can come in and persuade AJ there are better methods I would not be averse.

46 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Shutout by the Marlins…at home…. TWICE!!!  This can’t happen! The entire team is underperforming offensively and we’re going to blame the GM right? When does the coaching staff have to answer for this?

If the hitting coaches aren’t getting the job done, it’s a Hinch/Harris problem and it’s their job to resolve it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

If the hitting coaches aren’t getting the job done, it’s a Hinch/Harris problem and it’s their job to resolve it. 

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well look, if you’re gonna flip the future linchpins of your offense for even younger, even greener minor leaguers who are even farther away from making a contribution, then you might as well liquidate all your future linchpin pitching, too. Especially since Skubal isn’t going to want to stick around an organization explicitly committed to giving up and going nowhere. 

I don't see this Tiger organization signing any current player longterm. Skubal will be moved as he gets closer to free agency, whenever that is. And you're right, I don't see the Tigers taking on any established and expensive players either. I guess we just need to be patient and let Harris keep making minor deals and see if we get lucky.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't see there can be much to lose by staring over with a new hitting staff and a different approach. If someone can come in and persuade AJ there are better methods I would not be averse.

You mean, like, now? In the middle of the season? Bring in all new coaches and break down the players and get them to forget everything they know and rebuild them to learn entirely new systems all while trying to get them to score runs in live games? I don’t know, sounds like a tall order to me. 

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Going to my first game in 7 years.      Can you still buy tickets right at the Will Call window?    I just don't want to pay the ridiculous online fees.   

After today, how many years will it be before your next game?

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hitters win games, coaching loses them. 

Our pitching coaches get a lot of credit helping pitchers get the most out of their abilities. Some coaches do get credit, especially when a part of the team does really well. Whoever is coaching our hitters isn't helping them to succeed. Either all the hitters stink or aren't being coached properly. Maybe a combination of both?

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't see this Tiger organization signing any current player longterm. Skubal will be moved as he gets closer to free agency, whenever that is. And you're right, I don't see the Tigers taking on any established and expensive players either. I guess we just need to be patient and let Harris keep making minor deals and see if we get lucky.

Yes, that. Or, we could continue to build on the plan that’s surely in place and give it a chance to work.

BTW if we end up trading Skubal for prospects before he’s a free agent, that means we have definitely failed.

This sucks but what was really painful was back in the day when we had a future Hall of Fame hitter and a lineup filled with all stars who were befuddled when a AAA rookie came up and they couldn’t hit him because they had “never seen his stuff.“

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now I know why I haven't gone in 7 years.   It's not worth the effort.   If they won't put it in, why should I

This team's hitters approach at bats with all the enthusiasm of a middle school kid reciting the Pledge Of Allegiance.  

Had to clean my glasses when I looked at the giant scoreboard and saw Gio's OBP is only one point higher than his BA.  -- and he was batting fifth.    Kerry Carpenter - one of the few guys that actually give you any offense was batting sixth.

Then the Javy problem.   Why?    Just why?   Just find someone who can play short.   Anyone.   They couldn't do worse than this.   There are times when you watch sports and you know when a guy is done and he's done.  He's checked out.   He got his money.   Ooooh, he got a hit today.  Still has an OBP under .200, right?    Your defense better be Alan Trammel/Ozzie Smith to justify staying - and it isn't.  Swallow the pill - blame it all on Al and move the **** on.  

I don't understand why people think Hinch is good.      Yeah, he's good at going on runs when the team is all but eliminated from contention.   He tinkers too much.  He's Ausmus Jr.    Gotta be the smartest guy in the room.   Why does Riley need a day off.  He's 23.  Don't think you're gonna wear him down on a 70 degree day.    I think he can manage.   Oh yeah, it was a left-handed starter.   Well, if Riley can't play against lefties, then he's not a real major league player, is he?     

A lot of school field trips there today.  You probably didn't win over that generation playing like that.   

Casey Mize was great today - he made one mistake, just one.   When the ball went over the fence the stranger next to me pretty much said, right along with me,  welp, this one's over.   

Yep.  I still have 18 days left on my current month of the Bally's app.   Think I'm just gonna cancel after that.  I can find better things to do. 

Not going to another game unless I get free tickets.      Not worth the effort.   Could have spent my day off work gardening or something productive.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

internally, there is zero help coming for C or SS.

1b, 2b, 3b might be solved by internal candidates, or at least find an almost average bat, but Tork's ceiling is getting lower each week.

for whatever reason, OFs are performing.

lots of teams are scuffling that did not expect to be, so maybe there is a trade to be made sooner rather than later, if Harris and Greenberg can tolerate some actual risk