5/15/24 1:10PM Marlins @ Tigers

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You mean, like, now? In the middle of the season? Bring in all new coaches and break down the players and get them to forget everything they know and rebuild them to learn entirely new systems all while trying to get them to score runs in live games? I don’t know, sounds like a tall order to me. 

IDK - team change coaches mid season all the time when things aren't working. The hitters may be bad, but clearly whatever they are doing isn't helping them much, so try something different. What is there to lose? Look for a guy who has had concrete success somewhere else and give him a shot. The downside is exactly the situation with Harris and esp Hinch. If they are so totally committed to keep doing exactly what they they are doing, there is no point in making a change. If they can bring someone in who gets buy in from Harris and AJ to do it differently  then it can make sense.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, that. Or, we could continue to build on the plan that’s surely in place and give it a chance to work.

Tiger offense has been terrible for 3 yrs under Hinch and there virtually no sign of improvement or cases of hitters making unexpected progress. It's hard to make a case for this management around the hitting. To me the issue is how to avoid throwing the baby out with the bath water. The same people are running the pitching side very well. Can we get them to delegate to different sub-group who can bring more to the hitting without losing the rest? 

I really don't know - it's a muddle right now.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tiger offense has been terrible for 3 yrs under Hinch and there virtually no sign of improvement or cases of hitters making unexpected progress. It's hard to make a case for this management around the hitting. To me the issue is how to avoid throwing the baby out with the bath water. The same people are running the pitching side very well. Can we get them to delegate to different sub-group who can bring more to the hitting without losing the rest? 

I think they are regressing.    Give Carpenter another year under Hinch and they'll ruin him.  

1 hour ago, kdog said:

SSS theater...but Greene and Canha can't have a bad 15 days. Baez, Keith, Tork, and catchers have been so feeble that you need your best hitters to be great all year..but it's unrealistic. The real solution is to have more depth.

They need more lineup depth for sure.  The IF has been dreadful at the plate which has sunk the team.  I’m not sure where the improvement comes from this season unless Torkelson gets back to at least his 2023 average, Keith stops hitting like a rookie pitcher, and Baez …. stops hitting like a rookie pitcher.

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Over half of those three years was under previous front office management with terrible ability to find major league hitting talent. We're still digging out of that hole. Honestly, we're probably going to have to throw out some more of the babies this front office inherited before it gets better.

As for the hitting coaches, I can't personally vouch for them as actually knowing what they're doing, although I do have more certainty around the idea that we still have a lot of just bad hitters on the team and high up in the system. Maybe we do end up ****-canning one or more of them, although I'd be a little surprised if they did so tonight, or tomorrow, or next week or month, or even before the end of the season. Changing coaching philosophies midstream is really hard on players so it's pretty rare. It would have to be a five-alarm fire to do so, I think.

(Cue replies of FIRE! FIRE!)

1 hour ago, casimir said:

They need more lineup depth for sure.  The IF has been dreadful at the plate which has sunk the team.  I’m not sure where the improvement comes from this season unless Torkelson gets back to at least his 2023 average, Keith stops hitting like a rookie pitcher, and Baez …. stops hitting like a rookie pitcher.

I really don't like the platoon of 3rd base, 2nd base, CF and RF. I know all about splits but having so many positions platooning doesn't allow players to get comfortable. Put your best players in the game, quit pinch hitting for them and see what happens. We see what happens the way things are being done and It's. Not. Working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

After today, how many years will it be before your next game?

Depends on if I get freebies.   My company has freebies but today's were taken.    I've been a bit overwhelmed at work (lots of last minute things because people think things can be promoted properly on the radio in 4 days).   I needed a day off, desperately.  

I'm not paying to see this team until they give me a reason to pay.    Today wasn't exactly a great advertisement. 

As far as replacing Baez.    All a player would need to do is hit .190/.230/.500 to be an improvement with hit 2 HR in 43 games.     I think Corey Joyce or Gage Workman could probably do that.   Joyce is a good OBP guy and Gage is getting better there too.   I know it's minor league pitching, but Javy's OBP before today of .198.      Dude's just done.   

They also only have 4 guys with a slugging percentage comfortably over .400...Vierling is at .403 but he's probably going to sink even further as he plays too much.

The rest of the guys are either going to hit singles or have unproductive outs. So if Greene and Canha have an off 15 days, the offense has no chance.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Depends on if I get freebies.   My company has freebies but today's were taken.    I've been a bit overwhelmed at work (lots of last minute things because people think things can be promoted properly on the radio in 4 days).   I needed a day off, desperately.  

I'm not paying to see this team until they give me a reason to pay.    Today wasn't exactly a great advertisement. 

I would pay to see Skubal pitch. The guy is a bulldog.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I would pay to see Skubal pitch. The guy is a bulldog.

I'd pay to see Olson's next start. At some point, with no run support, he's going to snap and start beating up players in the dugout.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

the talent on the team is severely limited.  that is the problem.  we can debate who is to blame for that but swapping out the coaches is unlikely to mean ****

Exactly. Maybe the coaches are qualified enough to work with good talent and maybe not, but one thing we know for sure is that this is a young team, third youngest in the majors, and young teams are notoriously wonky. That we are able to string together good stretches at all is a plus. But there is still a lot of detritus on this team. We’re going to have to completely turn over catcher, shortstop, third base, and probably center field in the next couple of years, and who knows whether we have to add first base or even right field to that. That’s up to six positions in question, and when you have that many holes, you’re essentially in a rebuild, which means this thing of ours isn’t getting totally fixed this year.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Even with free tickets,  it’s near impossible to go Comerica and get the full game experience without spending hundreds.   $16 beers, $7 hot dogs, $7 peanuts.   Don’t even bother walking into the souvenir area.  $35 kids Tiger hats.  It’s stupid expensive.  

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Exactly. Maybe the coaches are qualified enough to work with good talent and maybe not, but one thing we know for sure is that this is a young team, third youngest in the majors, and young teams are notoriously wonky. That we are able to string together good stretches at all is a plus. But there is still a lot of detritus on this team. We’re going to have to completely turn over catcher, shortstop, third base, and probably center field in the next couple of years, and who knows whether we have to add first base or even right field to that. That’s up to six positions in question, and when you have that many holes, you’re essentially in a rebuild, which means this thing of ours isn’t getting totally fixed this year.

Third youngest team and playing .500 ball is actually quite encouraging. 

Just now, SeattleMike said:

They are doing about what I expected.  I thought there was a chance they could do better if they had a break out from some young hitters, but it hasn't happened.  I don't know if I am encouraged, but I an not disappointed or surprised.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As far as replacing Baez.    All a player would need to do is hit .190/.230/.500 to be an improvement with hit 2 HR in 43 games. 

The closet you’re gonna get to these kinds of numbers is Shea Langeliers, and I wouldn’t mind having that guy for my catcher. How about a close-to-Detroit rotation piece and Jake Rogers for him?

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Even with free tickets,  it’s near impossible to go Comerica and get the full game experience without spending hundreds.   $16 beers, $7 hot dogs, $7 peanuts.   Don’t even bother walking into the souvenir area.  $35 kids Tiger hats.  It’s stupid expensive.  

Plus, unlike nearly every other big league stadium, they don’t let you bring in any food or water. All they want you to bring is your phone with your credit card on it.

6 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I know, right? We’re moving in the right direction, but really, Harris had to start from scratch. We saved a bunch of pitching, thanks to the magic of Chris fetter, but honestly, it was lucky we got even him. Imagine how awful it would be if Rick Anderson had managed to hang around.