5/20/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

11 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Colt has 3 hits, the Tigers have K’d only 3 times, and no tornado has ripped through the ballpark. Life is good. 

Keith is now hitting 429 in his last 7 games. Kid's gonna need a raise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Keith is now hitting 429 in his last 7 games. Kid's gonna need a raise.

No one has ever paid me handsomely in advance for doing anything other than dog sitting. I’m impressed by what he pulled off there. 

50 minutes ago, kdog said:

By any objective measure, Wentz has been excellent this year. He has been terrible tonight.

Yeah I’ll give Wentz at least another game before I conclude he’s turned into a pumpkin. He’s been hitting all the right notes this year—soft contact, getting chase, swing and miss, strikeouts, ground balls. He’s looked real, so I’ll give him some leeway here, even though I was on the forefront of the Dump Wentz movement before this. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's already gone for the most part .  Several of his acquisitions are contributing this season and Harris has a new system in place which hopefully will take them to a new level.   I don't think they are that far away from contending.  

I don’t think it’s gone yet. We still have Baez, we still have Rogers, Tork is still an open question. But, also, center field is not close to being settled and right field is not that much closer. We’re still in the process of clearing out enough rot that we can fairly say Al Avila’s thumbprint is still visible on the team.

its true that we’ve made a lot of progress turning over the team but we’ve got at least another year, probably two, until we move past the point where his tenure has a clear and present influence on the team.

Edited by chasfh

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think it’s gone yet. We still have Baez, we still have Rogers, Tork is still an open question. But, also, center field is not close to being settled and right field is not that much closer. We’re still in the process of clearing out enough rot that we can fairly say Al Avila’s thumbprint is still visible on the team.

its true that we’ve made a lot of progress turning over the team but we’ve got at least another year, probably two, until we move past the point where his tenure has a clear and present influence on the team.

Baez is really the only problematic piece left.  Other than that, it's up to Harris going forward and it shouldn't take a few years like Buddah suggested. Harris has a chance to get them in contention by next year.  If he doesn't make progress by then, it's on him, not Avila.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Harris has a chance to get them in contention by next year.  If he doesn't make progress by then, it's on him, not Avila.  

I don't know if I can take another year. This team is already boring me to tears.

57 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Baez is really the only problematic piece left.  Other than that, it's up to Harris going forward and it shouldn't take a few years like Buddah suggested. Harris has a chance to get them in contention by next year.  If he doesn't make progress by then, it's on him, not Avila.  

I think that's fair depending on your meaning of "contention" which I assume is having a real chance to make the playoffs throughout the summer even if falling short. This off season has some free agents that fit needs ( Bregman, Adames )but as always there are risks with that so Harris has his work cut out for him. But it needs to start with the left side of the infield. No more rotating/platooning/gap filling/ position changing etc, waiting for a rookie to take off from the "runway" or hoping Baez morphs back into ElMago. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yeah I’ll give Wentz at least another game before I conclude he’s turned into a pumpkin. He’s been hitting all the right notes this year—soft contact, getting chase, swing and miss, strikeouts, ground balls. He’s looked real, so I’ll give him some leeway here, even though I was on the forefront of the Dump Wentz movement before this. 

I remember Andy Dirks saying last year that Went's fastball just isn't good enough to get away with any mistakes. I think the more he pitches the more he will be exposed. He's made a nice adjustment to his off speed stuff that helps but without a solid fastball or one real good pitch hitters will expose you.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don’t think Harris gets a mulligan here.  The Royals were well behind us in rebuilding, yet have blown past us in very short order.  That’s on Scott.

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I remember Andy Dirks saying last year that Went's fastball just isn't good enough to get away with any mistakes. I think the more he pitches the more he will be exposed. He's made a nice adjustment to his off speed stuff that helps but without a solid fastball or one real good pitch hitters will expose you.

I think Andy is spot on. Wentz' success does track his FB and he didn't have a good one tonight. His best FBs against Houston and Cleveland when he effective were 96+, his best  in this game was 94 and as low as 92. On average his FB is better this season than last, but not tonight.