5/23 6:40PM Blue Jays @ Tigers

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hinch barely touched Paredes. He had him for 85 plate trips in 2021 while Paredes had 327 between Lakeland and Toledo. Paredes also hit better in Detroit under Hinch in 2021 than under Gardenhire in 2020. I don't think the problem was Hinch.

I know Hinch didn't trade him but he played Goodrum and Willie Castro often and barely played Paredas. Maybe he told Al "hell no don't trade him" but I doubt it. BTW Willie Castro is doing much better a a Twin as well. They didn't waste time with Willie at short and second like Hinch did. I'm ok with Hinch but no longer convinced he is as advertised. 

Edited by SoCalTiger
spelling

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He may be one of those guys who needs a change in scenery, coaching, approach. Satisfying though it may be to some, that he doesn't flourish here under our coaching system is not by necessity an indictment of our coaching system. Sometimes certain people don't mesh with certain systems, while certain other people do. Analytical as things may be now, player development is not a science, at least not yet.

If no one is flourishing under the coaching system, when do they consider changing the system?  Is there ever any accountability for the coaches?

6 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

If no one is flourishing under the coaching system, when do they consider changing the system?  Is there ever any accountability for the coaches?

Wenceel seems to be doing great under this coaching system. 

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Wenceel seems to be doing great under this coaching system. 

One guy is flourishing?  That is more an indictment of the system than anything.  

Natural talent shouldn't be restricted by some silly edict from a coaching staff. 

In Houston , Hinch had a roster full of studs and also had a cheating affair going on.  

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Take a look at their roster.  It's too many entitled travel team white college boys.  Even the minorities look like white guys.  🙂

I think this is why i fnd myself not watching  many games ... just seems like a bunch of college Bros playing on a team... boring and no personality 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

He may be one of those guys who needs a change in scenery, coaching, approach. Satisfying though it may be to some, that he doesn't flourish here under our coaching system is not by necessity an indictment of our coaching system. Sometimes certain people don't mesh with certain systems, while certain other people do. Analytical as things may be now, player development is not a science, at least not yet.

Would not surprise me that in a hypothetical where he goes somewhere else, he breaks out. I also agree with you that, in and of itself, it could be as much about TORK as about the coaching staff here.

Edited by mtutiger

What I will be curious to see is that with the passage of time, if there's improvement with prospects who get called up as we get further into the Harris era than we have seen currently.

Even now, the crop of guys getting the call are guys that were acquired and largely developed while Avila was in charge. That will change in a year or two... even Jace Jung, who was drafted under Avila, has mapped more closely onto Harris' time in the organization

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think this is an accurate read on Tork from an optimistic point of view, but likely correct.

59 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

One guy is flourishing?  That is more an indictment of the system than anything.   

Kelly Carpenter and Riley Greene are flourishing, too. Mark Canha was before his slump—I like his chances of recovering back to at least average, which I would find acceptable. Colt Keith and Carson Kelly have been on fire for the last two weeks. Andy Garcia has been great for the last 30 days.

As much as people want to run Hinch and the hitting coaches out of town, the Tigers wRC+ for the last 30 days has been 97, just a hair below average, and better than Orioles, Braves, and the Guardians. Should the hitting coaches be fired for that?

The Tigers’ main problem is that they’re not jacking bombs, and that’s probably less a coaching issue than a talent issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know that being brought up quickly hurt Torkelson's psyche.  Maybe he is just not that good or maybe he is too stubborn.

I also have no idea whether the current front office has a better handle on how players will react to failure.  They seem to be more scientific, but I don't know if they have expertise in how individuals will react to adversity.  That's a difficult thing to gauge.  

We're not allowed to be critical of Tork here, he has relatives monitoring this site and you will be called out for calling him a useless bust...🤣🤣

2 hours ago, kdog said:

With Tork you have to figure out if he is fixable now. You can take the lessons learned from his struggles and apply them to the next phase of prospects.

When I say fixable, the minimum production given his defensive limitations is a high .700s OPS with at least 30 homers a year.  If that isn't possible, then you have to find other options. You can't wait around on a hope and a prayer. The passage of time is not a development plan.

Be patient. He's still young. Give him 5 more years before you judge him. 😆😆

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Kelly Carpenter and Riley Greene are flourishing, too. Mark Canha was before his slump—I like his chances of recovering back to at least average, which I would find acceptable. Colt Keith and Carson Kelly have been on fire for the last two weeks. Andy Garcia has been great for the last 30 days.

As much as people want to run Hinch and the hitting coaches out of town, the Tigers wRC+ for the last 30 days has been 97, just a hair below average, and better than Orioles, Braves, and the Guardians. Should the hitting coaches be fired for that?

The Tigers’ main problem is that they’re not jacking bombs, and that’s probably less a coaching issue than a talent issue.

TBF. Carpenter went outside the system for his hitting support. Nothing wrong with that but you can't credit it to the Tigers. Now in point of fact, I think (not sure but seem to recollect) that Hinch even made some noise about the team wanting to recognize what guys did with their outside support  - try to work with it and not against it etc. But whether there was anything more than talk behind that, who knows?  Well maybe Kerry does!

Garko joins Sam Menzin, Rob Metzler and Jay Sartori as assistant general managers under Scott Harris, the president of baseball operations, and general manager Jeff Greenberg.

“Creating a culture of development in which players at all levels can grow and improve is one of our foundational goals,” Harris said in a release. “The work of Gark and Georgia, along with many others, over the past few years helped make that culture of development a reality. These well-deserved promotions will amplify their voices and influence, helping players throughout our organization get the most out of their abilities.

“We also welcome Andrew, who comes to us with impressive technical skills, experience teaching at multiple academic institutions, and a terrific reputation within the sports industry. I’m confident he will be a great thought partner and leader for our talented analytics group.”

TIGERS’ BASEBALL OPERATIONS

President, Baseball Operations: Scott Harris

General Manager: Jeff Greenberg

Vice President, Assistant General Manager: Ryan Garko, Sam Menzin, Rob Metzler, Jay Sartori

Vice President, Baseball Performance Science: Georgia Giblin

Vice President, Baseball Analytics: Andrew Thomas

Senior Advisor to the President and General Manager: Scott Bream

New brain trust just dropped

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2024/05/tigers-shuffle-front-office-including-2-promotions-and-external-hire.html

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF. Carpenter went outside the system for his hitting support. Nothing wrong with that but you can't credit it to the Tigers. Now in point of fact, I think (not sure but seem to recollect) that Hinch even made some noise about the team wanting to recognize what guys did with their outside support  - try to work with it and not against it etc. But whether there was anything more than talk behind that, who knows?  Well maybe Kerry does!

lol can’t please some people

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kdog said:

wow

Have you seen Lange's walk rates over the years?  That's a wow.

And, who knows, it could be more than just on field performance.

Edited by casimir

10 minutes ago, kdog said:

wow

the little blow up on the mound may have added a little spice, but the truth is that no pitchers stay in the majors walking 8.2 per 9 so this is not be surprising as a pure baseball call.

Maybe more the wow is how a guy can just have his control evaporate like Lange has. Of course he's not the 1st to have it happen, but it's always weird when it does.

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Consequences for poor performance. Wow. Unless you make $25 million. Derp.

Well, there's also more pitcher availability to take Lange's place than there is shortstop availability to replace Baez.

Baez isn't going to make it to the end of his contract.  He'll be cut if this continues.  It'll be a matter of when and not if.