5/23 6:40PM Blue Jays @ Tigers

26 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Ilitch needs to let Harris do his job, find an upgrade at shortstop and dump Javy. This team will be in a downward spiral until accountability becomes a priority. It's a horrible example they are setting for these kids. Loser mentality up and down the roster.

the person most responsible for not having any viable alternatives to Javy at SS is Scott Harris.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

If they’re going to start firing coaches, first one to go has got to be Joey Cora. 

The manager gave a very mealy mouthed answer on this decision. 

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

The manager gave a very mealy mouthed answer on this decision. 

You can’t threaten a coach on camera with his job. That’s got to happen behind closed doors. 

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

the person most responsible for not having any viable alternatives to Javy at SS is Scott Harris.

I/we obviously see Javy is not living up to expectation. He is trying imho, yet, he is who he is. With said, he is second on the team in RBIs with 21 (at the moment) and if several more players had 21 RBIs we would have several more wins without question. If he is that bad - what does that say about the rest of this team.

Seems when Greene stopped hitting the Ls started to pile up. He has been bad at the plate (check out the last 16-17 games) and not so hot in the field either lately. Is something wrong with him or is it simply a slump (and a long one).

It is a long season, I have said it many times SHarris and the GM need to make a move/statement (or two). He has to have the ability to work a trade. Regardless of where we are as a team. Evaluating, etc. he has to have the ability to do this. It can be done at anytime or the next regime can blame 'him' instead of everyone blaming AA (and yes, AA inability to make a decent trade among other things put the franchise back). I just heard Chris Getz on the WSox broadcast and he said he has been fielding more calls recently about potential players. Again SHarris needs to make a decent move, now, a month from now, etc. If he does not have this ability -  well then the next rebuild will start in another 2-3 years.

This team could be 'decent' now. They were earlier. They simply have too many black holes in the lineup.

3 minutes ago, alex said:

I/we obviously see Javy is not living up to expectation. He is trying imho, yet, he is who he is. With said, he is second on the team in RBIs with 21 (at the moment) and if several more players had 21 RBIs we would have several more wins without question. If he is that bad - what does that say about the rest of this team.

Seems when Greene stopped hitting the Ls started to pile up. He has been bad at the plate (check out the last 16-17 games) and not so hot in the field either lately. Is something wrong with him or is it simply a slump (and a long one).

It is a long season, I have said it many times SHarris and the GM need to make a move/statement (or two). He has to have the ability to work a trade. Regardless of where we are as a team. Evaluating, etc. he has to have the ability to do this. It can be done at anytime or the next regime can blame 'him' instead of everyone blaming AA (and yes, AA inability to make a decent trade among other things put the franchise back). I just heard Chris Getz on the WSox broadcast and he said he has been fielding more calls recently about potential players. Again SHarris needs to make a decent move, now, a month from now, etc. If he does not have this ability -  well then the next rebuild will start in another 2-3 years.

This team could be 'decent' now. They were earlier. They simply have too many black holes in the lineup.

It does seem as though when Greene isn't hitting the entire operation grinds to a halt. I was hoping Greene was past slumps that last 50-75 PAs. Not that the 5-14 May record is all on him, but this recent slump of his is more depressing than previous ones. 

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

6 OATP in 50 games not is not something we want to be leading the league in?

Who knew?

He reminds me of Waving Wendell Kim of the Cubs from 20-ish years ago.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

If they’re going to start firing coaches, first one to go has got to be Joey Cora. 

What is the break-even rate for that decision? With two outs, it can't be that high.

How strong is Kiermaier's arms these days? He has negative arm ratings on Fangraphs, but I don't know how to parse that.

I don't mind the call, but then again I'm not...

https://youtu.be/gdbjw27QPJQ?feature=shared

8 hours ago, casimir said:

Slow down, there are already enough drama queens around here.

[shrugs] Lynn Henning retired.

The crapitude is nearing the Matt Patricia era:  somehow losing a MNF game in a blowout after scoring on the first play of the season.

38 minutes ago, romad1 said:

[shrugs] Lynn Henning retired.

The crapitude is nearing the Matt Patricia era:  somehow losing a MNF game in a blowout after scoring on the first play of the season.

It has been an awful May, no question.  I don't think Patricia was ever this bad in May, but I could be wrong about that.  The pitching, mostly the bullpen, has faltered and we know the offense is on an intermittent fast.

I heard on one of the daily pods that Lange chucked a ball at the backstop after he was yanked from his meltdown in Kansas City.  Cameras didn't catch it, so believe what you will.

Hinch seems to have gotten more surly lately.  I don't expect a manager to go all Earl Weaver or Billy Martin, a certain level of emotion besides lying about 3 straight kicks in the ass being competitive might be a nice message to send.

27 minutes ago, casimir said:

It has been an awful May, no question.  I don't think Patricia was ever this bad in May, but I could be wrong about that.  The pitching, mostly the bullpen, has faltered and we know the offense is on an intermittent fast.

I heard on one of the daily pods that Lange chucked a ball at the backstop after he was yanked from his meltdown in Kansas City.  Cameras didn't catch it, so believe what you will.

Hinch seems to have gotten more surly lately.  I don't expect a manager to go all Earl Weaver or Billy Martin, a certain level of emotion besides lying about 3 straight kicks in the ass being competitive might be a nice message to send.

Looking down from above:  Team has pitching.  Team should have better hitting considering resource investments in hitting.   Javy Baez is example FA.   Tork being drafted 1-1.  Riley having a slump kills the team's offense.  Wencel Perez is so far the only bright light.   Catching and SS and 1B are a deep canyon of not hitting. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Looking down from above:  Team has pitching.  Team should have better hitting considering resource investments in hitting.   Javy Baez is example FA.   Tork being drafted 1-1.  Riley having a slump kills the team's offense.  Wencel Perez is so far the only bright light.   Catching and SS and 1B are a deep canyon of not hitting. 

3B could use an upgrade as well.  Vierling did have a decent start to the season, but doubtful it could last.

Not enough out of the positions you mentioned, and then some of the better bats in April have vanished.  Bad recipe.

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Four straight blowout losses. That’s not a skid, that’s a thud. 

We are actually in more dangerous territory with this than even I imagined when I posted this.

Getting blown out four times in a row—“blown out” meaning losing by five or more runs—has how happened 156 times in modern ball, which makes it roughly a three-times-every-two-years event. It happened to the Rockies last year. The Angels and Nationals got blown out four times in a row in 2022. So did the Rangers in 2021. You get the idea.

However, only 25 teams have ever lost five or more blowouts in a row. That’s a one-in-every-five-years event. That last happened to the Cubs in 2014, though, so that’s almost ten years ago. Before that it was the Brewers in 2010, Royals in 2009, and Marlins in 2002.

Before that, it was the Tigers in 2000, although that 5+-streak was actually six blowout losses in a row. Six-plus has happened only six times, the last one before the millennial Tigers being the 1981 Cubs. That was a shortened season, too, so “kudos” to the Cubs for the extra effort.

Only two teams have ever lost as many as seven in a row: the 1901 Giants; and the 1911 whatever-the-Boston-National-League-team-was-called-that-year. (According to Baseball Reference, they had no nickname.)

Bottom line: we can’t get blown out again tonight.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We are actually in more dangerous territory with this than even I imagined when I posted this.

Getting blown out four times in a row—“blown out” meaning losing by five or more runs—has how happened 156 times in modern ball, which makes it roughly a three-times-every-two-years event. It happened to the Rockies last year. The Angels and Nationals got blown out four times in a row in 2022. So did the Rangers in 2021. You get the idea.

However, only 25 teams have ever lost five or more blowouts in a row. That’s a one-in-every-five-years event. That last happened to the Cubs in 2014, though, so that’s almost ten years ago. Before that it was the Brewers in 2010, Royals in 2009, and Marlins in 2002.

Before that, it was the Tigers in 2000, although that 5+-streak was actually six blowout losses in a row. Six-plus has happened only six times, the last one before the millennial Tigers being the 1981 Cubs. That was a shortened season, too, so “kudos” to the Cubs for the extra effort.

Only two teams have ever lost as many as seven in a row: the 1901 Giants; and the 1911 whatever-the-Boston-National-League-team-was-called-that-year. (According to Baseball Reference, they had no nickname.)

Bottom line: we can’t get blown out again tonight.

That's crazy.  And given their awareness of the data...you know the team "leadership" knows this.  What can they do to change it?  More weird platoon experiments?  

Edited by romad1

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

That's crazy.  And given their awareness of the data...you know the team "leadership" knows this.  What can they do to change it?  More weird platoon experiments?  

This is the type of situation where shakeups happen which, to the dismay of most here, will probably start with players and not PBOs.

11 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Give Gabe Alvarez a shot at managing the Tigers. David Ross may also be a candidate. 

Well, if you’re looking for someone who can mismanage bullpens with the best of ‘em, David Ross is your man.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The entire infield is substandard.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I doubt that's the kind of data that management cares about.  It's fun researching that kind of thing and I am surprised it is so rare, but it's not predictive and doesn't help them get better.  It's more likely to impact ownership which could mean irrational choices

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I doubt that's the kind of data that management cares about.  It's fun researching that kind of thing and I am surprised it is so rare, but it's not predictive and doesn't help them get better.  It's more likely to impact ownership which could mean irrational choices

Or fans who will stop buying Wallside Windows or working out at Vic Tanney because they don't need to subject themselves to nightly blowouts. 

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Or fans who will stop buying Wallside Windows or working out at Vic Tanney because they don't need to subject themselves to nightly blowouts. 

But four blowouts should not override the quarter season of decent ball that came before it unless it is indicative of future failures. If the blowouts are caused by the beginning of a breakdown of an overworked pitching staff (particularly the bullpen) for example, then they should act on it.  If they make changes just to appease fans,it could make things worse long term.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

But four blowouts should not override the quarter season of decent ball that came before it unless it is indicative of future failures. If the blowouts are caused by the beginning of a breakdown of an overworked pitching staff (particularly the bullpen) for example, then they should act on it.  If they make changes just to appease fans,it could make things worse long term.   

Stop being reasonable.  i'm pissing in my cornflakes here.