05/26/2024 11:35am EDT Toronto Blue Jays vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

75 home runs in the game and he has one of our better hitters bunt in the 9th inning.. We need a real manager...

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that call either.  I realize they need only one run at that point.  Baez is the next hitter, and he has been one of the more productive hitters with RISP.  I think I would have preferred to have Perez swing away.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just caught the box score, traveling today. Were the last couple of innings a slow pitch softball competition?

The wiffle ball just wasn't fluttering around too much, and the batters switched from the thinner yellow bat to the big fat red bat.

• Like 1

Some of you may not be familiar with pro wrestling commentator Gordon Solie. Gordon was a legend here in Florida. Anytime multiple wrestlers were involved in a fight, Gordon would describe the action as a Pier Six brawl. Today, the Tigers won a Pier Six brawl against the Blue Jays.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just don't understand why he's seemingly untouchable.    

And I just don't understand why everyone seemingly thinks he should be on the hot seat!

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And I just don't understand why everyone seemingly thinks he should be on the hot seat!

The old attitude anytime a manager gets fired...you can't fire 25 (26 now) players but you can fire one guy. Sometimes a change of manager lights a fire under the players. But I don't think it would help the 2024 Tigers.

29 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The old attitude anytime a manager gets fired...you can't fire 25 (26 now) players but you can fire one guy. Sometimes a change of manager lights a fire under the players. But I don't think it would help the 2024 Tigers.

I just don’t see how a manager who is overseeing an improved team that wasn’t even expected to go to the playoffs would get fired for guiding the team to a .500 record in their first third of a season.

I had to break away from this game about midway, but if Marquez's K zone stayed the way it was in the early innings, that's a big piece of explaining this game. His K zone was a complete outlier on the tight side compared to what we've been seeing recently. It probably didn't affect mize all that much because he was  missing badly with his offspeed stuff, but for the rest of the pitchers acclimated to getting an additional 6" on the wide side it must have been quite the shock.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I just don’t see how a manager who is overseeing an improved team that wasn’t even expected to go to the playoffs would get fired for guiding the team to a .500 record in their first third of a season.

Improved? I think their record is about the same as last year. And our pitching, which has kept us in games, is fading fast. At least, our bullpen.

I don't think firing Hich would do any good. Harris built this team and his lack of line-up upgrades is the main problem. Whats Hinch supposed to do? Other than stop leading Riley off? 😅😅

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Improved? I think their record is about the same as last year.

You may not be a guy who buys the concept, but they have a much-improved run differential this year than they did last year at this time.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

You may not be a guy who buys the concept, but they have a much-improved run differential this year than they did last year at this time.

Runs scored or allowed will change year to year. Yes, this year is a bit better after this many games but going by wins and losses, it's just about the same. Improving against the AL East should be the goal, last year our record against them was horrible. 5-5 so far? That has to be better than last season, so far.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I just don’t understand why the fanbase of every team rags on their manager as if they just know baseball better.

anyone can be wrong. How many people have had their lives saved because they didn't accept the diagnosis of their doc and got a 2nd opinion?  😱:classic_wink:

(you may have guessed I just read the weekly missed diagnosis story in the paper....:classic_biggrin:)

Looking at stats may show some improvements. I don't really study them. I bet their SP is better this year? And the BP is worse? And I would say their defense is better, though I may be wrong in all of these because, like I said, I don't really look at stats. But, IMO, Hinch should be safe. Harris just extended him and I'm sure any problems the Tigers have would be more of a roster construction problem over a manager issue.

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Looking at stats may show some improvements. I don't really study them. I bet their SP is better this year? And the BP is worse? And I would say their defense is better, though I may be wrong in all of these because, like I said, I don't really look at stats. But, IMO, Hinch should be safe. Harris just extended him and I'm sure any problems the Tigers have would be more of a roster construction problem over a manager issue.

Well, runs scored per game last season was 27th or 28th out of 30 teams.  That’s bumped up to the 18th-21st range.  One thing I wonder about this season is there a significant variance on a game by game basis where they are feast or famine more so than other teams?  I don’t know, maybe it’s not a driver.

As far as runs allowed, they were slightly below league average last season, not exactly sure the rank, but I think it was 15-17th.  This season they are among gather best 5 or 6 teams so far.  Today will probably ding that a bit.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chasfh said:

In the grander sweep of things, this team lacks talent and experience . I will consider AJ's performance when they have both.

Edited by HeyAbbott
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

In the grander sweep of things, this team lacks talent and experience . I will consider AJ's performance when they have both.

Yeah. Not sure there are too many, or any, teams that regularly play 4 guys 24 years old or younger. 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think anyone wants Hinch fired. I certainly don’t but whereas in the past I felt he was beyond question I no longer feel that way. I also acknowledge that my impatience for a winner is affecting my confidence in him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I don’t think anyone wants Hinch fired. I certainly don’t but whereas in the past I felt he was beyond question I no longer feel that way. I also acknowledge that my impatience for a winner is affecting my confidence in him. 

I don't think because fans question a manager's decisions in hindsight that means much - hell manager's question their own decisions in hindsight. The huge level of random drivers in baseball guarantee that close to half your close decisions will turn out wrong. You want a guy gone when he gets to where what he does is more than occasionally comes out wrong  and moves into the region of impossible to explain (Ausmus) and/or he's obviously losing the team (Tram). AJ has strengths and weaknesses like any guy in any job. Just to hear him talk you can tell he loves managing pitching,  the coaching of the pitchers and managing game time use. He shows very little of that excitement when he talks about hitting, so I hope he has other people on the staff that have the energy around hitting that AJ clearly does with pitching. But it is one of AJ's peculiarities that I guess he frowns on his coaches talking to the press (wants everything to go through him?) because we never hear much from any the Tigers coaches. This is a departure from a guy like Leyland -- where McClendon or Jeff Jones would often talk to reporters.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Additionally, anybody who has heard him talk should know he's the right guy for the job. He has it.

the haus frau who pays the Directv bill was apoplectic when she found out the game yesterday was on Godzilla Pikachu or whatever and not on Directv which she pays a king's ransom for a baseball package for.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, casimir said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that call either.  I realize they need only one run at that point.  Baez is the next hitter, and he has been one of the more productive hitters with RISP.  I think I would have preferred to have Perez swing away.

One of the beat reporters said that Hinch in the post game said Perez bunted on his own. Hinch never bunts...

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

My concern about Hinch was about his ability to handle players after he couldn't get them to stop the cheating in Houston.  The excuse his supporters gave was that it wasn't his fault and there was nothing he could do about it.  I don't agree with that.  I suspect Leyland, for example, could have done something about it. That being said, I have not seen any evidence that he doesn't have the respect of players in Detroit and have no complaints about his game management skills.  In fact, I think his bullpen management is excellent.