5/29/24 DH Game 1 12:40PM Pirates @ Tigers

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But you admitted you never saw any of his innings. So you're making a judgement from seeing him for a bit iver 4 innings. What team are you a scout for? 

They couldn’t be my initial thoughts if I’d seen him before.  That’s why they are initial thoughts.  

I’m not going apologize for not being very impressed with what I saw especially against a bad lineup.   I’m not upset if you or anyone has a different opinion. 

2 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

You're right.  Every pitcher who eas ever decent in the history of baseball has been lights out on their major league debut.  Thanks for letting us know how dumb we are.

I never called you dumb although arguing with people on the internet is dumb.   

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

My mother used to tell me he hit homers every ladies day at Tiger Stadium...😆

He was noted for hitting homers on Sundays and when I was a little kid, the first game I was ever taken to was at Comiskey Park against the Yankees and he, of course, had been traded to the White Sox by then and he did indeed hit a Homerun and each game of that doubleheader. Of course I was crushed because we weren’t going to Tiger Stadium but the idiots at my dad‘s Elks Club that took us to the game chose to go to Chicago instead of Detroit, even though they were equidistant from where we lived. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

On the radio side, what generally happens with the shorter break that started last year is the DTRN did not alter their commercial break length, so they generally come back just as or just after the first pitch of the half inning takes place, over which you hear the intro rock music, Dan comes on and does introductory copy for a couple seconds, then calls the pitch that was thrown now 10 or 15 or 20 seconds ago as though it were happening at that moment, then he catches up to the live call on the second pitch. You might notice that sometimes his call for the first pitch and the second pitch comes only five or so seconds apart.

I was wondering about how much money radio and TV was losing because of the shorter games. It's a full hour or so shorter. I guess the limited pitching changes would make the biggest ad revenue difference.

Just now, IdahoBert said:

He was noted for hitting homers on Sundays and when I was a little kid, the first game I was ever taken to was at Comiskey Park against the Yankees and he, of course, had been traded to the White Sox by then and he did indeed hit a Homerun and each game of that doubleheader. Of course I was crushed because we weren’t going to Tiger Stadium but the idiots at my dad‘s Elks Club that took us to the game chose to go to Chicago instead of Detroit, even though they were equidistant from where we lived. 

C'mon.  You just told that story so you could use equidistant in a sentence!

3 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Not at all.  I am just not A Know It All.

Hater?  I don't recall saying since a 23 year old making his mlb debut didn't dominate the opponents that he will never get another chance ever in the majors.

My comments weren't meant to you. The person who never saw a pitcher but decided he'll never be in MLB again after seeing 4 innings of him. I wonder what he thought of JV after seeing his few starts in 2005. He stunk.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

My comments weren't meant to you. The person who never saw a pitcher but decided he'll never be in MLB again after seeing 4 innings of him. I wonder what he thought of JV after seeing his few starts in 2005. He stunk.

I apologize for responding to you.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I was wondering about how much money radio and TV was losing because of the shorter games. It's a full hour or so shorter. I guess the limited pitching changes would make the biggest ad revenue difference.

See, that’s the beauty part for the advertising side: games are indeed half an hour or so shorter, but that’s all coming out of the dead time on the field there had been before, which is to say, during play. But the advertising breaks are just as many, because the number of innings is the same, and they are just as long, as I have demonstrated in the earlier post. Same with pitching changes—I’m not sure whether the pitch timer has made them shorter, but I would bet the number of ad minutes during them is the same. I’m not sure what the average number of pitching changes are per game now versus what it was before the pitch timer came in, but it would not surprise me to learn that there are exactly as many as before.

So really, the bottom line appears to be that there are as many advertising minutes during a game now as before, and that it is the ratio of game time-to-ad time that has dropped.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

See, that’s the beauty part for the advertising side: games are indeed half an hour or so shorter, but that’s all coming out of the dead time on the field there had been before, which is to say, during play. But the advertising breaks are just as many, because the number of innings is the same, and they are just as long, as I have demonstrated in the earlier post. Same with pitching changes—I’m now sure whether the pitch timer has made them shorter, but I would bet the ad time during them is the same. I’m not sure what the average number of pitching changes are per game now versus what it was before the pitch timer came in, but it would not surprise me to learn that there are exactly as many as before.

So really, the bottom line appears to be that there are as many advertising minutes during a game now as before, and that it is the ratio of game time-to-ad time that has dropped.

True. The only time the ads are less is the multiple pitching changes. It's probably insignificant. 

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I saw 4.1 innings of him.

I also saw the pre game scooter video.  

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

See, that’s the beauty part for the advertising side: games are indeed half an hour or so shorter, but that’s all coming out of the dead time on the field there had been before, which is to say, during play. But the advertising breaks are just as many, because the number of innings is the same, and they are just as long, as I have demonstrated in the earlier post. Same with pitching changes—I’m now sure whether the pitch timer has made them shorter, but I would bet the ad time during them is the same. I’m not sure what the average number of pitching changes are per game now versus what it was before the pitch timer came in, but it would not surprise me to learn that there are exactly as many as before.

Oh...and I have noticed more quickie ads during the game, between pitches. It's pretty irritating. 

The thing that’s funny is that when I was eight years old in 1960 I laid down a ruler on a map and Detroit was 1/32 of an inch closer than Chicago but when I did a Google search a few years ago to the addresses of each respective stadium Comiskey Park was 3/4 of a mile closer than Tiger Stadium so it’s possible I could’ve become a White Sox fan which is sad. I was already listening to Ernie and he had won me over, but still if I went by which Team was closer I could’ve become a White Sox fan.  

• Like 1

The seven-run ninth inning walk off that we’re going to experience right now is something we will be telling our great great grandchildren when we are living in space colonies and have had our brains replanted in robot bodies.