5/29/24 DH Game 1 12:40PM Pirates @ Tigers

We really need Tork, McKinstry and Kelly to take a bunch of pitches before all striking out next inning.  Skenes pitch count is getting up and our only chance appears to be getting into their bullpen.  

I feel bad for Tork having to face this guy.  He’s got no chance. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, the Tigers managed to score a run against the greatest guy to ever pitch a baseball?   Amazing !!!

Quite petty and immature.  This didn't age well.  

Edited by tiger2022

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Or you just haven't seen enough of him and fans aren't scouts?

I said they were initial thoughts.   They could change in the future but I’m not sure how since I don’t watch minor league ball.  I don’t see Montero getting another chance. 

FWIW, one could also argue that many paid Tigers scouts aren’t really good scouts either.   

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We really need Tork, McKinstry and Kelly to take a bunch of pitches before all striking out next inning.  Skenes pitch count is getting up and our only chance appears to be getting into their bullpen.  

I feel bad for Tork having to face this guy.  He’s got no chance. 

Or they could go 1-2-3 on 9 pitches.  Solid job guys.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I said they were initial thoughts.   They could change in the future but I’m not sure how since I don’t watch minor league ball.  I don’t see Montero getting another chance. 

FWIW, one could also argue that many paid Tigers scouts aren’t really good scouts either.   

Good to know that a guy is washed up at 23.  He pitched well for most of the game.  He was probably nervous being his debut and all.

On both the TV and the radio broadcasts I notice that the ads cut off the announcers an awful lot of the time and it’s really annoying and I’m not sure who to blame. The announcers seem to be doing what they’ve always done so I guess I have to blame who’s ever controlling when the ad kicks in. 

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You think a 23 year old kid will never make it back after seeing him for 4 innings. OK.

5 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Good to know that a guy is washed up at 23.  He pitched well for most of the game.  He was probably nervous being his debut and all.

He’s pitched 350 minor league innings.   He’s got a ton of experience. 

Nervous or not, he was facing a dream lineup for a guy making his debut.  This Pirates order looks even worse than the Tigers.   Still couldn’t take advantage and made a few very bad mistakes

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Nervous or not, he was facing a dream lineup for a guy making his debut.  This Pirates order looks even worse than the Tigers.   Still couldn’t take advantage and made a few very bad mistakes

You're right.  Every pitcher who eas ever decent in the history of baseball has been lights out on their major league debut.  Thanks for letting us know how dumb we are.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

But you admitted you never saw any of his innings. So you're making a judgement from seeing him for a bit iver 4 innings. What team are you a scout for? 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

Didn’t he hit a home run in each game of another doubleheader? This makes him sort of like Sunday Charlie Maxwell. 

My mother used to tell me he hit homers every ladies day at Tiger Stadium...😆

If you are 23, can hit 96, 97 mph and have decent offspeed stuff, you are going to pitch in the majors somewhere.  

From my one game watching him, he seems to have at least similar stuff of not better than Casey Mize 

2 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

You're right.  Every pitcher who eas ever decent in the history of baseball has been lights out on their major league debut.  Thanks for letting us know how dumb we are.

Haters gonna hate. Is this one of the trolls we've been warned about?

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

On both the TV and the radio broadcasts I notice that the ads cut off the announcers an awful lot of the time and it’s really annoying and I’m not sure who to blame. The announcers seem to be doing what they’ve always done so I guess I have to blame who’s ever controlling when the ad kicks in. 

On the radio side, what generally happens with the shorter break that started last year is the DTRN did not alter their commercial break length, so they generally come back just as or just after the first pitch of the half inning takes place, over which you hear the intro rock music, Dan comes on and does introductory copy for a couple seconds, then calls the pitch that was thrown now 10 or 15 or 20 seconds ago as though it were happening at that moment, then he catches up to the live call on the second pitch. You might notice that sometimes his call for the first pitch and the second pitch comes only five or so seconds apart.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

Not at all.  I am just not A Know It All.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hater?  I don't recall saying since a 23 year old making his mlb debut didn't dominate the opponents that he will never get another chance ever in the majors.