5/29/24 DH Game 1 12:40PM Pirates @ Tigers

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Go back and look at Verlander's 2005 starts for the Tigers. That guy will never make it, right?

LOL  JV had a 1.28 MiLB ERA before he was called up. Montero is at 4.40 with the Hens's. Nothing against Montero but he's not carrying expectations anything like JV did.

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The seven-run ninth inning walk off that we’re going to experience right now is something we will be telling our great great grandchildren when we are living in space colonies and have had our brains replanted in robot bodies. 

IMG_4685.thumb.gif.a07a2071933fe5a233f527f924af70f8.gif

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL  JV had a 1.28 MiLB ERA before he was called up. Montero is at 4.40 with the Hens's. Nothing against Montero but he's not carrying expectations anything like JV did.

But judging a pitcher on 4 innings of work is a pretty small sample size.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

But judging a pitcher on 4 innings of work is a pretty small sample size.

Initial thoughts are a first impression.  You are failing to understand that concept.   It’s supposed to have a very small sample size.  

All caveats aside, I didn’t think Montero pitched very well today.   Made a few nice pitches but overall I was pretty unimpressed especially for someone that it’s supposed to be the 7th or 8th best prospect in the system.

I was more impressed with seeing both Olson and Briekse in their stints last year.  Both of those guys had life and movement on fastball and showed some secondary pitches as well.    You could see there was something more with those two  that had me interested to see them again.  I didn’t get that feeling today with Montero.  He was lucky to get out with what he did.   I can’t imagine him facing a legit lineup with his flat fastball and over the plate off speed.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Initial thoughts on Montero.   Very normal repertoire without exceptional stuff and leaves the ball out over the plate too much.   Doesn’t appear to have a single plus pitch.   Maybe he can help Toledo win a few games but doesn’t look like a prospect to me.   

He has very good, if somewhat inconsistent stuff. He has spotty command. There’s enough to dream on and he’s been progressing.

Edited by Longgone
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Initial thoughts are a first impression.  You are failing to understand that concept.   It’s supposed to have a very small sample size.  

All caveats aside, I didn’t think Montero pitched very well today.   Made a few nice pitches but overall I was pretty unimpressed especially for someone that it’s supposed to be the 7th or 8th best prospect in the system.

I was more impressed with seeing both Olson and Briekse in their stints last year.  Both of those guys had life and movement on fastball and showed some secondary pitches as well.    You could see there was something more with those two  that had me interested to see them again.  I didn’t get that feeling today with Montero.  He was lucky to get out with what he did.   I can’t imagine him facing a legit lineup with his flat fastball and over the plate off speed.  

You said he'll never be a major leaguer.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

He has very good, if somewhat inconsistent stuff. He has spotty command.

I don’t disagree that he has very good stuff in the minors.    I am not sure that one can say he has very good stuff for a major league pitcher.    Spotty command on the other hand usually shows itself at any level.  

Posted (edited)

Eric Munson  (1056 AB)     .214/.289/.394/.683     49 HR    K rate 22.1 %  OPS+ 80

Spencer Torkelson (1159 AB)   .221/.300/.392/.691  43 HR   K rate 27.3%   OPS  92

Running out of time to turn this around? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

You said he'll never be a major leaguer.

No,  that’s you reading something and taking your own meaning from what I said.   I don’t think I’ll see him get another chance this season.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Eric Munson  (1056 AB)     .214/.289/.394/.683     49 HR    K rate 22.1 %  OPS+ 80

Spencer Torkelson (1159 AB)   .221/.300/.392/.691  43 HR   K rate 27.3%   OPS  92

Running out of time to turn this around? 

but you forgot the two homer celebrations 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

He’s pitched 350 minor league innings. ...

With a 1.41 WHIP in his minor league travails...

He might have an awesome breaking pitch...

But he sucks. At least for anyone that cares about keeping baserunners off the bases.

Unless there are Felipe Lira 2.0 fans out there...?

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

With a 1.41 WHIP in his minor league travails...

He might have an awesome breaking pitch...

But he sucks. At least for anyone that cares about keeping baserunners off the bases.

Unless there are Felipe Lira 2.0 fans out there...?

Just cut him then. I'm sure posters on a message board know much more that Tiger scouts. Maybe Jake was right and Justin Verlander never was nor never will be an ace. Anybody remember his trolling? It seems he's back under a new persona.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Just cut him then. I'm sure posters on a message board know much more that Tiger scouts. Maybe Jake was right and Justin Verlander never was nor never will be an ace. Anybody remember his trolling? It seems he's back under a new persona.

Hyperbole.

Even a 6 year old child knows how to read a book.

Here, read this and tell me what you think:

Justin Verlander had a minor leagues 0.995 WHIP.

Good pitcher. Since you mentioned him.

Buck Farmer had a minor leagues 1.265 WHIP.

Not a good pitcher.

Felipe Lira had a minor leagues 1.345 WHIP.

Terrible pitcher.

Keider Montero has a minor leagues 1.405 WHIP. 1.467 WHIP this year in Toledo.

He better figure something out really quick (better control, a move to the bullpen, whatever)... Otherwise, I don't think he'll be a good pitcher.

Now... Please tell me what the scouts are telling you that makes you think he will turn from a NOT GOOD pitcher, right now in AAA, into a GOOD pitcher in MLB? Because I don't see it. Despite what you THINK the scouts are telling you... Maybe there's something there... but where is it? Show it to me. Don't just BS about "the scouts"... show it to me.

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Hyperbole.

Even a 6 year old child knows how to read a book.

Here, read this and tell me what you think:

Justin Verlander had a minor leagues 0.995 WHIP.

Good pitcher. Since you mentioned him.

Buck Farmer had a minor leagues 1.265 WHIP.

Not a good pitcher.

Felipe Lira had a minor leagues 1.345 WHIP.

Terrible pitcher.

Keider Montero has a minor leagues 1.405 WHIP. 1.467 WHIP this year in Toledo.

He better figure something out really quick (better control, a move to the bullpen, whatever)... Otherwise, I don't think he'll be a good pitcher.

Now... Please tell me what the scouts are telling you that makes you think he will turn from a NOT GOOD pitcher, right now in AAA, into a GOOD pitcher in MLB? Because I don't see it. Despite what you THINK the scouts are telling you... Maybe there's something there... but where is it? Show it to me. Don't just BS about "the scouts"... show it to me.

So the next time he pitches, don't watch. Or go root for the White Sox...