5/29/24 DH Game 1 12:40PM Pirates @ Tigers

Torkelson's career is looking very similar to Andrew Vaughn so far.  He's two years younger than Vaughn, so the the Tigers are not likely to give up on him soon.  It seems like a trip to Toledo might be a good idea.  It's not like he had sustained success there prior to his MLB career.  

Tork isn't a free agent until 2029. They don't have to dump him or worry about him producing for someone else. They can put him in Toledo if he isn't producing. They don't have any first base prospects, so he isn't blocking anyone.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe we can move on from him when we find someone decent to replace him. And it doesn’t even have to be a stud with the stick—it could be a halfway-decent hitter with a plus-glove. But I’m pretty sure the last thing we will want to do DFA him out of frustration and get nothing in return, or exile him to Toledo and signal to the market that he’s damaged goods. If we want to get a return for him annd eventually end up with something better, we have little choice at this moment but to keep playing him and hope he figures it out at least a little.

what kind of value would he have to someone else?

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

what kind of value would he have to someone else?

It probably would depend on who that someone else is. I look at the Isaac Paredes trade and it is apparent that the Rays saw something in him, an upside the Tigers weren’t seeing. For the record, my comment here is totally separate from Austin Meadows. I’m not comparing the two players.

The same could apply to Tork now. Different clubs apply different approaches to every aspect of the game. I’d be very comfortable in saying there are orgs out there now that could get him to a higher level of productivity than he’s managing here. I’m pretty much to the point that the Tigers don’t have the answer on Tork. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Maybe we can move on from him when we find someone decent to replace him. And it doesn’t even have to be a stud with the stick—it could be a halfway-decent hitter with a plus-glove. But I’m pretty sure the last thing we will want to do DFA him out of frustration and get nothing in return, or exile him to Toledo and signal to the market that he’s damaged goods. If we want to get a return for him annd eventually end up with something better, we have little choice at this moment but to keep playing him and hope he figures it out at least a little.

brandon belt is still out there

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

For a reason. 😏

yeah you'd hate to have a 2 WAR and 138 WRC+ player at 1st it might make other players feel bad

not sayng they should do it but there is other options out there if you care

Edited by Toddwert

The gulf between AAA and the majors has never been larger. I think they want Tork to figure it out up north; Any success he has down in Toledo might be fool's gold.

It's similar to guys like JHM and Jung. Their stats in Toledo only tell one part of the story. You can't transpose their performance to the majors. How many guys do we have to see come up before we realize the difference between Toledo and Detroit? The prospects seem like a solution because they haven't failed yet.

4 hours ago, Toddwert said:

yeah you'd hate to have a 2 WAR and 138 WRC+ player at 1st it might make other players feel bad

not sayng they should do it but there is other options out there if you care

That was in 2023, but he was also 0.4 WAR with a 93 OPS+ in 2022. If we sign him, which guy is gonna show up for us? Plus he’s 36, and I’m pretty sure if we sign him Tiger fans would have a hairy conniption because 36-year-old first basemen have no future.

I’m not opposed out of hand to signing him, but I’m pretty sure he is not anywhere close to the Tigers radar. The team is committed to making sure they can get any blood out of the Torknip, and I don’t think the inflection point is either now, or anytime during this season. If he ends up with -2.0 WAR and a 70-ish OPS+, though, I would bet the Tork Question is going to be #1 on the charts with a bullet.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

I agree with this and think his runway goes all the through 2025...

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Green, Carpenter and Keith are all LHH. There dirth of of RH power bats is probably why Torkelson has gotten as much rope as he has. Canha has hit a few but only one since May1.

We were always gonna have to acquire some foundation players from outside of the org, whether through trade or FA. Fortunately RHH are much more abundant.

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Hiura has a career 105 wRC+ and 2.5 WAR vs Tork at 92 and 0.1.

Not sure what WAR you’re looking at, but I see 1.4 on bbref.  1.9 of that was in 2019.

Additionally, he’s at a stout .730ish OPS in AAA this season.  I don’t think the reward of promoting him is all that it was cracked up to be.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

Not sure what WAR you’re looking at, but I see 1.4 on bbref.  1.9 of that was in 2019.

Additionally, he’s at a stout .730ish OPS in AAA this season.  I don’t think the reward of promoting him is all that it was cracked up to be.

Fangraphs 

On 5/29/2024 at 7:31 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Hyperbole.

Even a 6 year old child knows how to read a book.

Here, read this and tell me what you think:

Justin Verlander had a minor leagues 0.995 WHIP.

Good pitcher. Since you mentioned him.

Buck Farmer had a minor leagues 1.265 WHIP.

Not a good pitcher.

Felipe Lira had a minor leagues 1.345 WHIP.

Terrible pitcher.

Keider Montero has a minor leagues 1.405 WHIP. 1.467 WHIP this year in Toledo.

He better figure something out really quick (better control, a move to the bullpen, whatever)... Otherwise, I don't think he'll be a good pitcher.

Now... Please tell me what the scouts are telling you that makes you think he will turn from a NOT GOOD pitcher, right now in AAA, into a GOOD pitcher in MLB? Because I don't see it. Despite what you THINK the scouts are telling you... Maybe there's something there... but where is it? Show it to me. Don't just BS about "the scouts"... show it to me.

No one with any sense would use whip to evaluate the potential of pitching prospects. It may give you an inkling regarding readiness to compete, but it says nothing about potential or ceiling.

It's easy for us to point and laugh at Hiura and say he's probably done. It's harder to look at Tork and say he might be the guy with a 700 OPS at AAA next year. The reality is both are still young but Hiura could be gone soon while Tork is under control and can't refuse an assignment to Toledo. Maybe neither ever establishes himself at the ML level.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Fangraphs 

OK, so it kind of shows a similar deal, 2.2 WAR in his rookie season followed by 0.5, -0.8, 0.6.  None were over full time playing status (asterisk on the 0.5 in 59 games of the COVID 2020).

I don't know.  At this point I guess I would look at it more about getting Torkelson straightened out for the long term rather than picking up any contribution from Hiura short term.  If the Tigers think he needs to work away at it in MLB, so be it.  My worthless opinion is that it's more mental than physical, not attacking on hittable pitches.

I wouldn't worry about losing Hiura to an upward mobility clause.  If he thinks he is in a position to exercise it, than good luck to him.  If the Tigers do feel Torkelson needs a reset, that's fine.  But I wouldn't necessarily hand 1B over to Hiura in the meantime.

Edit:  After I say I wouldn't hand 1B over to Hiura, I realize I'm not sure what the other options are.  Maybe a combination of Canha/Vierling.  But with Carpenter out, I don't how that works for the OF.  I suppose a recall of Meadows?  Not sure, maybe it just does default to Hiura.

Edited by casimir