5/31/24 7:10PM Tigers @ Red Sox

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Was prepared for a patio under the lights with a fire going night but I got that alert and signed up. Signing up for free trials through Apple is great.  Under subscriptions it tells you the expiration date and you cancel right from there. No logging into websites and fighting pushy chat bots.   I use it also to alternate between Detroit news and free press subs. One of them is always pushing a 99 cent type promotion. 

I get the digital only Free Press for $5 a month. They haven't raised that price in years. I'm hoping they forgot about me...lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZTigersfan said:

Maeda strikes out the batter to give us hope then completely dashes it on the very next pitch. He just doesn’t give us a chance to compete smh.

We have 2 very, very good starting pitchers, 1 who is really hot and the Mize and Maeda.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We have 2 very, very good starting pitchers, 1 who is really hot and the Mize and Maeda.

Ya those last two are really, really bad this year. With this offense it’s hard to win with them. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

How is Joey Wentz still in the majors?

Same could be asked of Maeda, he's complete ass...and he's signed for two years...Harris is gonna have to eat that one long and hard.

42 minutes ago, kdog said:

Looks like Canha is headed to IL with a hip injury. Brutal to lose two functional hitters within 3 days.

I missed the game.  Reading up, it sounds like this was a pregame lineup adjustment.  Hinch mentioned seeing how things were today, so hopefully it was just a one off.  I don't recall anything from Thursday's game, but who knows.  

Taking Carpenter and Canha out is too much for this lineup to bear.  If the Tigers really wanted to evaluate young talent, I would think there is an opening for Malloy now.  Carpenter's injury sounds ripe for a 60 day IL stint, so that would create an opening on the 40 for Malloy.  I'm going with the assumption they're at 40, but I don't know that for sure.

A Canha injury would also likely eliminate any thoughts of demoting Torkelson, if there were any of those thoughts to begin with.  Urhsela played 1B last night, Vierling has some limited experience there, too.  I get Torkelson has disappointed so far this season, but I'm not sure a Vierling/Urshela time share at 1B is what they'll opt for, particularly since they are much better gloves elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

How is Joey Wentz still in the majors?

In his defense, he, along with the rest of the bullpen, had a good April followed by a bad May.  

image.png.83d13cddfe7184d30786f318fc76e459.png

Was there late movement on his pitches earlier in the season that isn't there now?  SO9 still remain career highs, but that BABIP and SLG escalated something ridiculous.

Here's another thing.  1 of 12 baserunners allowed in April scored.  That's ballooned up to 15 of 25.  Some of that is self inflicted with the increased SLG, but some of that could also fall back on the bullpen as a whole.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

...A Canha injury would also likely eliminate any thoughts of demoting Torkelson, if there were any of those thoughts to begin with.  Urhsela played 1B last night, Vierling has some limited experience there, too.  I get Torkelson has disappointed so far this season, but I'm not sure a Vierling/Urshela time share at 1B is what they'll opt for, particularly since they are much better gloves elsewhere.

I think they have to make a decision on KHiura as well quite soon. Now, I/we know he is not tearing it up at AAA (though has had a couple decent spells). He may get a look see here as he has had some success in the past and they may not wish to lose him for nothing (at least not yet). If an IL for Canha they could also consider JHM or even Parker (as many here have already mentioned) - but maybe PM still needs more time at AAA.

Just now, alex said:

I think they have to make a decision on KHiura as well quite soon. Now, I/we know he is not tearing it up at AAA (though has had a couple decent spells). He may get a look see here as he has had some success in the past and they may not wish to lose him for nothing (at least not yet). If an IL for Canha they could also consider JHM or even Parker (as many here have already mentioned) - but maybe PM still needs more time at AAA.

Yes, @Edman brought up Hiura's contract elsewhere.  I mentioned Meadows somewhere in that discussion (I think), but forgot about him in this scenario.  He's got a good line in AAA right now, much better than Hiura.

I guess another way to look at it is this:  Greene and Perez have earned everyday status in the OF.  Vierling has earned himself everyday work.  Keith is probably everyday and Baez is going to play everyday on the IF.  Ibanez is on the roster.  The Cs are the Cs and kind of not a part of this.  Urshela, McKinstry, and Baddoo are on the roster.  What happens with Torkelson?  That's probably the biggest domino after whatever is decided upon Canha's hip.

And now that I think about Ibanez, he also has some experience at 1B.  So, I had forgotten about that before, but it factors into the depth chart decisions.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

... A Canha injury would also likely eliminate any thoughts of demoting Torkelson, if there were any of those thoughts to begin with.  Urhsela played ...

I don't think a Canha injury should affect an Org decision on Tork.

If he's struggling and needs some time in AAA, send him down. That should be the Org decision.

Call up Vilade. He's played everywhere on the field, including 1B. I'm not going to call out his fielding as good or bad... I'm just saying they've had him play everywhere. If he gets a 60 day run in Detroit and totally flops... then he was nothing but fool's gold. Why not find that out once and for all?

And if it requires losing a 40-man guy... I'm certain one or two at the bottom of the 40 are deserving...

Same with Tork (is he gold or fool's gold... let's find out). He either fixes his problems in AAA (both hitting AND fielding), and EARNS a trip back to Detroit. Or he craps out. Either way... that helps Harris make decisions in the off season.

55 minutes ago, casimir said:

I missed the game.  Reading up, it sounds like this was a pregame lineup adjustment.  Hinch mentioned seeing how things were today, so hopefully it was just a one off.  I don't recall anything from Thursday's game, but who knows.  

And so it begins. Tork’s voodoo doll worked like a charm. Now we have to put him at first base and leave him there.