6/1/24 4:10PM Tigers @ Red Sox

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Maybe it's not the coaching, maybe it's the player. But sure, fire them all, I guess, and keep firing them until things improve.

The beatings will continue until morale improves, right? 😉 Sure there is line somewhere between being George Steinbrenner and demanding no accountability at all, but if the org didn’t believe Tork was capable of a lot more, maybe they should have moved on- and done something to fill the hole. The tough calls are also of the job. The thing is I do believe they think he can be good hitter, so at some point there should be some level  of accountability for not being able to help him more effectively.  

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The beatings will continue until morale improves, right? 😉 Sure there is line somewhere between being George Steinbrenner and demanding no accountability at all, but if the org didn’t believe Tork was capable of a lot more, maybe they should have moved on- and done something to fill the hole. The tough calls are also of the job. The thing is I do believe they think he can be good hitter, so at some point there should be some level  of accountability for not being able to help him more effectively.  

What a minute—where are you hearing that the organization does not believe Tork is capable of a lot more?

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What a minute—where are you hearing that the organization does not believe Tork is capable of a lot more?

Did you reverse what you meant to ask? I said I think the org thinks he can be better. Hinch has talked about Torkelson being a good hitter on numerous occasions. Certainly if they didn't think that I can't see what reason there was  for them to give him so much rope this season.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Did you reverse what you meant to ask? I said I think the org thinks he can be better. Hinch has talked about Torkelson being a good hitter on numerous occasions. Certainly if they didn't think that I can't see what reason there was  for them to give him so much rope this season.

When you say, “if the org didn’t believe Tork was capable of a lot more, maybe they should have moved on- and done something to fill the hole”, that implies to me that you believe the organization believes he is not capable a lot more, and that they are dropping the ball in not getting his replacement in house already. That’s why I asked the question.

The Tigers have to believe Tork can be doing much better. He has a fairly extensive track record in college and the first few years of minors, plus his flash in last year’s second half. It’s far too soon to conclude that he will never hit at the big league level. They did not imagine going in that he would have regressed so terribly. That is why they are giving him rope, and also why they are sending him to Toledo instead of releasing him. But most importantly, this is why they don’t have a major league first baseman in house already. Orgs don’t generally have active tangible plans, the kind that cost resources, in place in case of unexpected abject failure.

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

When you say, “if the org didn’t believe Tork was capable of a lot more, maybe they should have moved on- and done something to fill the hole”, that implies to me that you believe the organization believes he is not capable a lot more, and that they are dropping the ball in not getting his replacement in house already. That’s why I asked the question.

No - I agree with the way you put here - that is what I meant as well. Yes - they would have been dropping the ball, which is what argues that it is not the case.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

No - I agree with the way you put here - that is what I meant as well. Yes - they would have been dropping the ball, which is what argues that it is not the case.

Cool. I don’t mean to hammer you on it, but there are a lot of fans who do think they are dropping the ball on this, among other things, and would like to see mass releases and firings starting immediately, and I’m not always clear on where you stand on it.