2024 NCAA Football Thread

Interested to learn the details of how this went down.  Someone said UNLV didn’t pay to what they agreed,  another person said that they paid and the kid wanted to renegotiate after a good start, another person said a different school offered more money if he’d redshirt and transfer.   No idea what is true but this is the new world especially for G5.  It’s a one year commitment for most players just like a JC program.  

The dad has also chimed in agreeing with this NIL agent.   Could very well be true or then again maybe not.  

NIL agents have burst on the scene and they aren’t real agents per se.   No agent worth their salt calls a verbal promise with an assistant coach a closed deal and sells their client on it.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Assistant Coach probably conditioned $100k on him being a success. UNLV can pay that in NIL to a starting QB, but only when they really need to. Probably not on any given grad transfer. Kid then had early success. Meanwhile, an SEC school like Ole Miss quietly offers him $500k to redshirt and transfer. Now kid says “I never got my $100k.”

Nonsense like this will keep happening until the money-makers in the room (B1G and SEC) leave the NCAA and regulate themselves. And even then it might still happen to schools like UNLV, unless the powers that be don’t want it happening to UNLV out of their own self interests.

He’s only got 1 year of eligibility left so this wouldn’t be shocking to see him try to use the only leverage he’s got to get paid.  Not right but it is the new way. 

The in season stuff is crazy but we are absolutely going to see 1 year movement bleed over to P5 QB’s.   Dylan Raiola is going to get huge offers to leave Nebraska and they are going to have open the bag again to keep him for next year.   If Aidan Chiles can figure his stuff out, he’s going to get multimillion offers from the SEC to leave MSU, even after they paid him between $750k to $1M to come play this season.  

In the meantime, it would benefit all of college football to come together and give Sluka the Kaepernick treatment.   If nobody makes him and offer and he finds himself without anywhere to play next year, it may discourage the next person from trying it three games into a season.

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

What can't go on will come to an end, it's just a matter of how long it's going to take until some adults impose some kind of order.

the ncaa will do nothing until someone forces them to do something.

if they try to enforce serious rules against financial incentives they will be sued.  again.  and they will lose.  again.

thr only real authority they have is over minor stuff like cheeseburgers and sign stealing.  stuff where schools with normal coaches just beg forgiveness and get a slap on the wrist.  any SERIOUS infraction will be met with a lawsuit now and the ncaa will lose it.

all this ends only with collective bargaining and a written, enforceable agreement to limit salaries and a real penalty if (when) the ohio state's and texas a & m's of the world violate that agreement.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

the ncaa will do nothing until someone forces them to do something.

if they try to enforce serious rules against financial incentives they will be sued.  again.  and they will lose.  again.

thr only real authority they have is over minor stuff like cheeseburgers and sign stealing.  stuff where schools with normal coaches just beg forgiveness and get a slap on the wrist.  any SERIOUS infraction will be met with a lawsuit now and the ncaa will lose it.

all this ends only with collective bargaining and a written, enforceable agreement to limit salaries and a real penalty if (when) the ohio state's and texas a & m's of the world violate that agreement.

That's exactly it. We are where we are because the NCAA was forced to do something. In court. So they just said "okay, inmates can run the asylum!" ushering in this whole wild west era.

The solution will not lie in the NCAA. It will lie in something new, eventually.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

wouldn't you also think there will have to be a new league formed to be the other half of that CBA? I can't see it being the current NCAA (too broad a target) or any of the current conferences (too narrow a target).

Not to take the thread into politics - but just a scenario: There could be Congressional action but it depends on the election outcome. If one party gets enough control (i.e functional working majority) that everything is not constantly in knots, there are a few people in Congress that might have interest in the issue. But it's not the kind of thing that has a chance of emerging from another contentious session - which is why we haven't seen anything in that direction that yet.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

wouldn't you also think there will have to be a new league formed to be the other half of that CBA? I can't see it being the current NCAA (too broad a target) or any of the current conferences (too narrow a target).

Not to take the thread into politics - but just a scenario: There could be Congressional action but it depends on the election outcome. If one party gets enough control (i.e functional working majority) that everything is not constantly in knots, there are a few people in Congress that might have interest in the issue. But it's not the kind of thing that has a chance of emerging from another contentious session - which is why we haven't seen anything in that direction that yet.

i think doing away with the ncaa could bring the parties together.

the south and the midwest would unite in opposition.  only the northeast and west coast liberals would maintain support for centralized authority against evil male sports.

everyone - EVERYONE - hates the ncaa.  it would be political gold to usurp it.  the problem is what comes next.

the reality is a two division league with the big ten on one side and the sec on the other.  each with 20 teams. you need 10 more teams. 4 in the big ten and 6 in the sec. get notre dame, florida state, north carolina, virginia, miami, clemson, stanford, cal....and who else?  bc?  smu?  oklahoma state?  kansas?  pitt?  syracuse?

You are leaving out the biggest part of this equation.   What does TV want?  

The guys putting up the money are going to want to have a say in what happens.   If ratings stay strong and the new playoff system generates more ad money, I’m not sure much will change quickly.    

The NCAA controls the TV deals for everything outside of football.  I’m not sure the networks want to scrap their sweatheart basketball deals and rework them with some brand new entity.  In that regard, I’m not sure they ever go away even without football.

I think a new entity to handle just football and conferences that are football only will be the way of the future but how far away will depend on the success of few years of this playoff model.  

Edited by Hongbit

I still believe the biggest threat to college football is the future of the American university system.

It’s broken and won’t continue to exist like it does if they can’t figure out how to get the cost of education down.  As more companies stop requiring bachelors degrees, the cost-value for many areas of study doesn’t make sense.   

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

You are leaving out the biggest part of this equation.   What does TV want?  

The guys putting up the money are going to want to have a say in what happens.   If ratings stay strong and the new playoff system generates more ad money, I’m not sure much will change quickly.    

The NCAA controls the TV deals for everything outside of football.  I’m not sure the networks want to scrap their sweatheart basketball deals and rework them with some brand new entity.  In that regard, I’m not sure they ever go away even without football.

I think a new entity to handle just football and conferences that are football only will be the way of the future but how far away will depend on the success of few years of this playoff model.  

the ratings are strong for usc-michigan or alabama-georgia, or tennessee-oklahoma.  what are the ratings for northwestern-rutgers?  or purdue-oregon state?

tv wants 5 million viewers a pop.  there arent too many schools that deliver those ratings regularly.  that's why a future "super league" is not out of the realm of possibility.

like you say, tv calls the shots.  that's why the pac ten dissolved, because tv told kevin warren what to do and he did it.  same with pettiti.

eventually tv will tell the acc to pound sand and notre dame to get on board.  and they will.