NBA Info - June 2024

Was this always a thing in the NBA? Guys getting extended with max contracts before they've proven anything and before their contract is up? My memory is getting hazy in my old age, but I can't recall that always being the practice before the entitlement era of the NBA.

Is Scotty a max player? Is Cade? Desmond Bane? Maybe. What's the downside of just paying him next year when his contract is actually due? He's restricted, so it's not like you can lose him. Are they just worried about hurting his feelings?  I get extending a proven All-Star, but throwing around 25% of your cap on a guaranteed contract based on potential is a lot to gamble.

What's next, Jaden Ivey and Jalen Duren expecting max contracts next season? Ausar the year after? How about you make an All-Star game before we give you a max.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

not sure how kenny atkinson will deal with donovan "me me me" mitchell playing hero ball and no defense.

isnt that why he left brooklyn when they went from team basketball to harden/kyrie/kd?

He was fired.

I sort of question him taking the Cavs job.  Great guy to develop a team and build culture, exactly what Detroit needed.  Not sure he has the chops to handle an already established team.  But maybe he learned that sitting next to Kerr the past few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

20/8/6 and a very solid defender is a max guy all day.  Efficiency is low.  Big and long wing which is what every teams wants now.  He is max today why make him wait a year and piss him off?  Zero to gain by making him wait.

You gain another year of seeing the player perform before giving them a guaranteed 25% of your cap that could hamper your team for years to come. You also get to see what the market price is for him as a RFA the next year. On the other hand, what am I gaining by giving the contract early? Not hurting his feelings? This era of basketball is so pampered.

Not that any team has the guts to do it that way anymore since this has become the norm. Just makes me shake my head. 

I guess it's good for teams like the Pistons, because it means there are contracts like De'Andre Hunter out there that we can absorb for assets as a result of these bad business practices becoming the norm. I just hope Cade doesn't become one of those contracts after we max him this summer even though we won 14 games, he's played a total of 138 games in 3 years, and he hasn't even sniffed an All-Star game.

As for Scotty, he's made 1 All-Star game so maybe you can justify it, but averaging less than 20 ppg game on low efficiency in today's NBA? Meh. I feel like 20 ppg is the new 15 ppg. That's not a franchise player.

Edited by Betrayer

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

No clue what the Hunter connect is about since he didn't come anywhere near the max. 

Hunter was about giving someone an extension before you know what they are and then regretting it later because he's clearly overpaid.

That'll be Scotty Barnes in a couple years. I hope it's not Cade.