6/5/24 8:05PM Tigers @ Rangers

8 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Or they could get an actual bat at first instead of trying to fill the position with below average hitters at 1st.

The best bet/hope is Torkelson figuring out how to get back to his 2nd half 2023 form and stay there going forward.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The best bet/hope is Torkelson figuring out how to get back to his 2nd half 2023 form and stay there going forward.

Even if that happens, you cannot count on him being your only 1B option in 2025.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sure, roster depth is needed, no question about that.

I'm arguing that Tork isn't necessarily part of your core even if he recovers in Toledo. 

1 hour ago, kdog said:

I'm arguing that Tork isn't necessarily part of your core even if he recovers in Toledo. 

Depends on what form ‘recovery’ takes. It’s hard to be real optimistic now but OTOH when a guy hits 30 in the majors in 2/3 of a season, he’s shown you do at least have something to work with. 

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Torkelson represents an inexpensive option at 1B.  He has to prove that the production is there.  If that can happen, it allows Harris to look elsewhere to upgrade.  The level of trust might not be where it was over the 23-24 offseason, but Torkelson is still young enough that the team could reasonably assume that there is still progression in the right direction.  If, of course, he figures it out in Toledo and carries it up to Detroit to close out this season.

Posted (edited)

I don't trust Tork.

If he has taken so little interest in his career as to regress this badly, in the field, at the plate... and REFUSES to even look at his swing mechanics... I don't trust him.

Even if he makes some miraculous improvements in Toledo... Would I want to make a long term commitment to him? No. So as long as he's cheap... fine. But to me, before he becomes a FA or an expensive arbitration player... I'm fine with moving on... whenever that time comes. And maybe, hopefully, there's already an internal option at least like Briceno moving up the ladder and showing skill at 1B to be an option, or moving Jung or Keith or whomever to there.

Tork is a huge disappointment to me... and that specifically includes his professionalism/ attitude towards being an MLB player.

Edited by 1984Echoes

9 hours ago, casimir said:

Torkelson represents an inexpensive option at 1B.  He has to prove that the production is there.  If that can happen, it allows Harris to look elsewhere to upgrade.  The level of trust might not be where it was over the 23-24 offseason, but Torkelson is still young enough that the team could reasonably assume that there is still progression in the right direction.  If, of course, he figures it out in Toledo and carries it up to Detroit to close out this season.

The worst case scenario is that what he is doing works well enough at Toledo that here is insufficient drive to change. It's going to be up to the coaches in Toledo to impress on him that they don't care what kind of numbers he generates against AAA pitching, he's not going back to Det until they see the approaches they want.  And that's going to be hard message to delivery with much credibility.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TigerNation said:

I saw some photos showing that he has made some changes to his stance.

Not the greatest test last night. None of the Iowa pitchers very threw  hard -- Tork's hits were on pitches <90. Hit one 94 mph FB hard for an GO. But 3/5 still beats 0/5

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The worst case scenario is that what he is doing works well enough at Toledo that here is insufficient drive to change. It's going to be up to the coaches in Toledo to impress on him that they don't care what kind of numbers he generates against AAA pitching, he's not going back to Det until they see the approaches they want.  And that's going to be hard message to delivery with much credibility.

It depends upon what is going into the results.  Are there better results solely because of talent?  That won't work.  Are there better numbers because of a different approach (and talent)?  I think that's what the vacation to Toledo is all about.