6/8/24 4:10PM Brewers @ Tigers

36 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Why wasn't he playing first base in Toledo ? How much do coaches need to see in order to determine someone does not have the skill set to play a position. It's become an epidemic in Detroit. Still ongoing. 

I don't think he's very good anywhere.   Like Delmon Young.     He had bad footwork at third base, you need to have good footwork at first base.  Don't have to be the most athletic, but you need good footwork and I think that's Malloy's issue. 

28 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Sadly this seems like a very accurate summary to me. I bet Harris has thought this all along and thats why his last draft was high schoolers and I bet he pairs them up with more this draft. Me thinks his window is 2027-2028 and I bet he has told Junior as much during his interview. But I'm not a betting man. 

Agreed doesnt seem like we have any stars in the young position guys if we are lucky maybe a couple of everyday players which is a disappointment

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Sadly this seems like a very accurate summary to me. I bet Harris has thought this all along and thats why his last draft was high schoolers and I bet he pairs them up with more this draft. Me thinks his window is 2027-2028 and I bet he has told Junior as much during his interview. But I'm not a betting man. 

If Harris sees 27 or 28 as the window then he’ll be trading Skubal at the deadline.   He’ll get a massive haul but the fan and media backlash will be nuclear.   

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If Harris sees 27 or 28 as the window then he’ll be trading Skubal at the deadline.   He’ll get a massive haul but the fan and media backlash will be nuclear.   

Sounds a lot like the White Sox plan of few years ago. I guess by '31 we'll be the White Sox.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If that's what he wants do, then move forward. We don't need a gm who is waiting around for a future that doesn't exist. But If he can build a contender out of existing pieces, do that...you have to pick a lane. There really isn't a middle path.

Edited by kdog
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't buy it. If they keep aiming for some point out in the future then have fun being the A's, you'll never get there.

Then we need to see real baseball trades in the near future. Free agency isn't going to work; And the minor leaguers they like aren't close.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You don't trade a guy with 2+ years at a trade deadline. You trade him in the offseason because there will be better offers and more teams offering. So you are incorrect here.

If Harris doesn't extend Flaherty before the deadline and trades him (THAT's the guy who will be a trade deadline guy...); and then trades Skubal in the offseason...

Then I would say you are correct. Although I would go with 2026 as Harris's target to open up a contending window...

Edited by 1984Echoes

I’d prefer to sign Skubal to a huge deal and make him a core part of the rebuild.  If the GM doesn’t see the window opening for 3 seasons, he’s probably more valuable trading him as he would bring back an elite prospect and something else.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

You don't trade a guy with 2+ years at a trade deadline. You trade him in the offseason because there will be better offers and more teams offering. So you are incorrect here.

If Harris doesn't extend Flaherty before the deadline and trades him (THAT's the guy who will be a trade deadline guy...); and then trades Skubal in the offseason...

Then I would say you are correct. Although I would go with 2026 as Harris's target to open up a contending window...

I’d agree with most players but Skubal is unique.   A lefty power pitcher that is at the top of his game.   He very well could be the difference in a team going to the WS or not.  You play your cards right at the deadline and pit the contenders against each other, you will get someone to bite for a ridiculous package.  The fear of losing him to a rival vying also fighting for the pennant will get more for him at the deadline than in the winter.   

Edited by Hongbit

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Will he get a massive haul though?  Mayne he'll get players back but it's just a trap shoot on whether any will be quality players.

8 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Will he get a massive haul though?  Mayne he'll get players back but it's just a trap shoot on whether any will be quality players.

Nothing’s ever for sure.  That’s the only sure thing I know.  

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Players unfamiliar with each other leads to one run and using a LF that can't even keep a guy from getting to third on a FB leads to another. Hinch being the smartest guy in the room.

I'm guessing one of these is in reference to the play where Baddoo was calling for the ball and Keith didn't hold up?  I disagree that this is on Hinch.  Baddoo was calling for it.  He's the OF, it's his ball.

12 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Did Badoo call him off the play ?

You could see Baddoo calling for the ball on one of the replay angles.  On another angle, you can see Baddoo, Keith, and Urshela chasing to the spot, and Urshela pulls up.  Now, I don't know if he pulled up because he heard Baddoo and/or realized he wasn't going to the get there in time.  It did look like he dropped his head to see where Baddoo was going to catch it, but not sure if he could have called Keith off in time and/or if he realized there was going to be a collision.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

So for puuureeee speculation Harris extends Flattery and signs Bregman and Adames in the off season. Is that enough ?

Figure out a way to get some of the position player prospects out of Baltimore?

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm guessing one of these is in reference to the play where Baddoo was calling for the ball and Keith didn't hold up?  I disagree that this is on Hinch.  Baddoo was calling for it.  He's the OF, it's his ball.

But you will always see this kind of mistake when players are playing next to guys they are unfamiliar with, don't know their voices, their calls, their tendencies. Of course Keith should have yielded, but do we think he ran into Baddoo on purpose to cause an error? The situation overran his ability to process it because they had never had adequate time to learn each other. This is unavoidable to some degree, everyone is unfamiliar with the other guy at first, but the more you move guys around arbitrarily the more you increase these risks. Players that play together regularly get over these kinds of mistakes. Keith hasn't even played 80 games yet and he's had 8 different RF's behind him whose ranges and styles he has to learn and keep straight.

In fact in that play, Ushella is also going out and Keith has priority over Gio in that situation, so may be thinks he is hearing Gio - who he also has not played next to much, and thinks he is rightfully trying to call him off? Baddoo also has a history of colliding with his fellow OF's so I wonder if he just isn't loud enough.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But you will always see this kind of mistake when players are playing next to guys they are unfamiliar with, don't know their voices, their calls, their tendencies. Of course Keith should have yielded, but do we think he ran into Baddoo on purpose to cause an error? The situation overran his ability to process it because they had never had adequate time to learn each other. This is unavoidable to some degree, everyone is unfamiliar with the other guy at first, but the more you move guys around arbitrarily the more you increase these risks. Players that play together regularly get over these kinds of mistakes. Keith hasn't even played 80 games yet and he's had 8 different RF's behind him whose ranges and styles he has to learn and keep straight.

In fact in that play, Ushella is also going out and Keith has priority over Gio in that situation, so may be thinks he is hearing Gio - who he also has not played next to much, and thinks he is rightfully trying to call him off? Baddoo also has a history of colliding with his fellow OF's so I wonder if he just isn't loud enough.

Communication was given.  Why it wasn’t received is the issue.  Unfamiliarity may be a component of that, but the communication failure is first and foremost in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

what about Flaherty and Olson

Baltimore had Flaherty and let him leave.  I wouldn’t think they’d trade for him after letting him go for nothing, but who knows for sure.  He’s definitely performing better now, so that’s a variable to it.

15 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’d prefer to sign Skubal to a huge deal and make him a core part of the rebuild.  If the GM doesn’t see the window opening for 3 seasons, he’s probably more valuable trading him as he would bring back an elite prospect and something else.

But you know as soon as they do that he blows out his arm - because we're cursed.