6/11/24 6:40PM Nationals @ Tigers

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

team just has no basic offensive skills. Can't even move a runner, let alone score one.

They score 4 runs on one swing and then do nothing the rest of the game. That has happened too often this season. Then again who thought Gio Urshela would be hitting cleanup on June 11. 

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thanks a lot Kreidler.    That's our solution to Javy? 

And thanks Wenceel who can't execute what should have been an easy throw, or Jake who can't make a play, or the whole batting lineup that left the bases loaded and got nothing early. And of course, a pitcher that gives up a completely unforced run by issuing a bases loaded walk.

maybe or probably, it's because expectations are higher, but this team seem to be more mistake prone than last year's and that's at least as irritating as the lousy offense.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

They're trying to win on the margins...with a team that can't win on the margins lol.

That's about right. The idea was playing clean and pitching well would give them a chance without an offense. The offense hasn't come around but they aren't playing clean or pitching as well as was expected either.

Edited by gehringer_2

If you have Carpy and 2023 second half Tork giving some easy power, then the margins increase. Now they need 8 singles to score a run...or they just do down 13 straight late in the game...this is rough.

2 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Idk about Malloy man...still early in his stint, but he does NOT look ready for MLB pitching

One good thing is that he has still been able to draw walks.  He can't bat .158 though!

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Exactly. How many games have the Tigers lost due to defensive miscues at critical moments? I can think of a few.

Like others have mentioned here, all the platooning is good for offense, but it probably hurts the defense to have guys trying to play multiple positions.  I don't know how much is gained offensively versus lost defensively.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Like others have mentioned here, all the platooning is good for offense, but it probably hurts the defense to have guys trying to play multiple positions.  I don't know how much is gained offensively versus lost defensively.  

I don't think using pinch hitters is the answer. Look at pinch hitting success rates and it looks like using a cold hitter off the bench isn't ideal. I agree with Ibanez against LH pitchers but that's about it. The rest of the bench is pathetic. Thank Harris for not supplying ML talent. Or Chris for not spending, take your pick.