2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

2 hours ago, oblong said:

that trade proposal written by a Mets person or someone writing from that perspective?

You don't trade Flaherty unless it makes the major league team better in 2024 and 2025.

I'm done with prospects.  That goes for Skubal too.

Big test for Harris..If it's a Hao Yu Lee comp, people will not be happy. As we saw with Avila, you need to have the skill to gin up a trade market...Al did not.

Edited by kdog

2 hours ago, oblong said:

that trade proposal written by a Mets person or someone writing from that perspective?

You don't trade Flaherty unless it makes the major league team better in 2024 and 2025.

I'm done with prospects.  That goes for Skubal too.

It's Bowden, so ... yeah.

I think Harris is looking for close-to-major-league-ready sticks. Maybe guys who can't help us so much this year, but for sure next year. I'd be surprised if he goes for a guy with a 2027 ETA or anything like that.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's Bowden, so ... yeah.

I think Harris is looking for close-to-major-league-ready sticks. Maybe guys who can't help us so much this year, but for sure next year. I'd be surprised if he goes for a guy with a 2027 ETA or anything like that.

I would like to see us acquire a 1B and or C

13 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Is it such a good idea to sell so low on Torkelson? 

Good question. This was my out of the box idea from a couple days ago, packaging him with Flaherty to goose the return on a deal. We wouldn’t take a bag of balls for him. 

15 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I still don't get Keith at 1st.  Why make him learn yet another position.  He also is one of the bottom hitting 2nd baseman so he should move to an even more premier hitting position?

I don't like the idea just because I'm not seeing the problem with his play at 2b given his experience level there. They certainly expect him to improve as a hitter, so if you think he will achieve an OPS suitable for 1st that's one thing, but if he can achieve an OPS suitable for 1st and still learn to play 2nd, I'd still leave him there. It's been said here before, but people are getting into too much of a hurry, half a season is not much time to master a new position on the IF let alone do it as a rookie in the majors.

• Like 2

As much as people want to give Al Avila equal (or even more!) credit for the eventual revival of the Tigers by dint of our still having guys on the team he acquired, I think what we will find is that almost all of them will be gone by 2027. We’ll definitely have Colt Keith, we’ll probably still have Riley Greene, and possibly Reese Olson, and maybe even Tarik Skubal if we can sign him. But it wouldn’t floor me to see practically all the rest gone, including perhaps Tork and Mize and Meadows, probably Perez and some bubble-40 guys like Campos and Workman and Flores, and certainly Manning and Kreidler and Baddoo and Rogers, and probably all of Avila’s relievers. All gone. Bookmark this post so you can lambast me, or the memory thereof, in 2-1/2 years. 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't think saying all the terrible players on the roster won't be on the team in 2-1/2 years is some revelation.

I don’t know, there are a lot of people who post here who like to make predictions of future Tigers teams that invariably include all these guys we have in our system right now. So for them it would be a revelation, and maybe even one that offends them at that. No one likes to Adopt-a-Tiger who’s on the fast track to Nowheresville.

The career of a mlb player is short and fleeting.  Most of the offensive guys on the Tigers dont offer much to keep them.  I know people hate Baez, but he at least plays great defense.  I know he makes a lot of throwing errors but he also gets to about 100 balls a year more than most guys.

Edited by tiger2022

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Javy's defense isn't great this year. It isn't even particularly good. That's what's going to make it easier to cut him before we carve the turkey after the Lions game.

after this season ends we owe him.....a mere $74M.   

5 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

The career of a mlb player is short and fleeting.  Most of the offensive guys on the Tigers dont offer much to keep them.  I know people hate Baez, but he at least plays great defense.  I know he makes a lot of throwing errors but he also gets to about 100 balls a year more than most guys.

baez doesnt play good defense anymore.

the tigers will hope his injury is permanent so they can collect insurance on his contract rather than having to eat it all to get rid of him.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

As much as people want to give Al Avila equal (or even more!) credit for the eventual revival of the Tigers by dint of our still having guys on the team he acquired, I think what we will find is that almost all of them will be gone by 2027. We’ll definitely have Colt Keith, we’ll probably still have Riley Greene, and possibly Reese Olson, and maybe even Tarik Skubal if we can sign him. But it wouldn’t floor me to see practically all the rest gone, including perhaps Tork and Mize and Meadows, probably Perez and some bubble-40 guys like Campos and Workman and Flores, and certainly Manning and Kreidler and Baddoo and Rogers, and probably all of Avila’s relievers. All gone. Bookmark this post so you can lambast me, or the memory thereof, in 2-1/2 years. 😁

what kind of delusional soul wants to give al avila credit for the tigers' eventual turnaround?

even 84lives has given up that ghost.

avila is the worst gm the tigers have had in my lifetime.  at least randy smith didnt trade hall of famers for peanuts.