2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Harris accepted Spencer for Skubal he should be shot out of a cannon to manage an independent league team. 23 in AA striking out >30% of the time and no particular power? Really? He's basically Parker Meadows. I love Parker but I wouldn't trade Skubal for him.

Also, not for nothing, yet another left-handed-hitting outfielder.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Harris accepted Spencer for Skubal he should be shot out of a cannon to manage an independent league team. 23 in AA striking out >30% of the time and no particular power? Really? He's basically Parker Meadows. I love Parker but I wouldn't trade Skubal for him.

his K% has been slowly creeping UP toward 40%, now at 37.3 - I would think (hope!) that amount of Ks would not interest Harris & Co 

Yeah the Spencer Jones hype is ridiculous, just cause he is bigger,  has raw power and is a Yankees prospect doesnt mean he is the next Aaron Judge like many of the media is trying to make people think.

During this whole trade rumor season Ive seen the same writers trying to hype Jones up as like this generational type prospect or something that if included in a package would be enough to pry away anybody the Yankeees wanted.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah the Spencer Jones hype is ridiculous, just cause he is bigger,  has raw power and is a Yankees prospect doesnt mean he is the next Aaron Judge like many of the media is trying to make people think.

During this whole trade rumor season Ive seen the same writers trying to hype Jones up as like this generational type prospect or something that if included in a package would be enough to pry away anybody the Yankeees wanted.  

Give me a shortstop or give me death...

Seriously, I see the Tigers biggest needs as a quality SP or 2 and a quality SS. I've seen enough of Javy's wild swing and misses. He's our best defender but his bat isn't even AA quality.

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Seriously, I see the Tigers biggest needs as a quality SP or 2 and a quality SS. I've seen enough of Javy's wild swing and misses. He's our best defender but his bat isn't even AA quality.

Can I add 1B to our wishlist?  Maybe C?

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Are you comfortable with Vierling or Jung as the 3B of the near future?

It seems that outside of Rainer, all of our legitimate internal infield prospects, as well as Keith, seem to project more to the right side of the infield.  I’ve heard varying reviews of Jung at 3B.

10 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

It seems that outside of Rainer, all of our legitimate internal infield prospects, as well as Keith, seem to project more to the right side of the infield.  I’ve heard varying reviews of Jung at 3B.

Vierling isn't terrible - he's not bad going to his right, throws well and he'll make routine plays, but there are a lot plays he isn't going to make compared to say - Gio. I guess bottom line I don't mind him there on the short side of platoon, but he should get most of his AB in the OF. Haven't seen Jung to form any impression.

19 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Verlander came up for two starts as a 22 year oldin July of 2005

He turned out ok...I guess

I remember it because I was on a family vacation. My oldest was 4 and youngest 1 1/2.  Today we are again in a family vacation.  Ages 23 and 20. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We don’t have to solve every position through our minor leagues, trades for prospects or stopgap signings.  Let’s move some prospects for established hitters or make a free agent signing or two.

What prospects do we have that we would be willing to package for an established hitter?  I definitely agree that we should look at it as a possibility, just wondering how you think Harris could approach doing that.  It just feels like the org would have definite future plans for almost all of the higher level prospects that we have.  The one “logjam” could be Keith/Jung/Tork/Lee on the right side of the infield.  Even with our glut of LH outfielders, they all profile differently between speed/power/defense/plate discipline.  

We have a good 8-10 high value guys but I see a potential clear path to the major leagues for most of them assuming development continues as it has been.

Edited by monkeytargets39

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Vierling isn't terrible - he's not bad going to his right, throws well and he'll make routine plays, but there are a lot plays he isn't going to make compared to say - Gio. I guess bottom line I don't mind him there on the short side of platoon, but he should get most of his AB in the OF. Haven't seen Jung to form any impression.

Fair enough.  That’s my assessment as well.  My take on Vierling is that until he establishes better on base skills and starts using his high end speed more, he’s a platoon player at best and shouldn’t be looked at as part of the future core.

Edited by monkeytargets39

1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Javy is the worst hitter in the AL...maybe in all of MLB. His defense is really good but trying to carry his bat is kinda hard when the team is struggling offensively. We have several options at 3rd base and 2nd base but using McStinky as a backup SS doesn't give us much better offense and his defense is...stinky. I don't want Harris to trade any prospects for rental players but maybe this off-season, sign a FA SS. Whoever may be available, I dont know. I really do like this Tiger team and I would say they're close...we just need some more quality depth. Especially at SP.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I really do like this Tiger team and I would say they're close...we just need some more quality depth. Especially at SP.

Please name anyone else besides Greene, Keith and MAYBE Malloy who'd be starting on a playoff caliber team? I dunno who you like, but if you like last place, you get a gold star...... 

(No disprespect meant). But our team sucks bro and we're lucky af to be where we are. We have ONE batter with an OPS above .800. Come on guys, get back to reality. Unless we have five or six of these guys, we are going to be sucking as much as the chick in the dress on woodward.... Lets get real. 

25 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Please name anyone else besides Greene, Keith and MAYBE Malloy who'd be starting on a playoff caliber team? I dunno who you like, but if you like last place, you get a gold star...... 

(No disprespect meant). But our team sucks bro and we're lucky af to be where we are. We have ONE batter with an OPS above .800. Come on guys, get back to reality. Unless we have five or six of these guys, we are going to be sucking as much as the chick in the dress on woodward.... Lets get real. 

A very young and inexperienced team. Yes, they've struggled at times but they've also played some very good baseball for stretches. That last home stand against 2 first place teams wasn't a fluke, we won 5 out of 7. Perez and Vierling look good at times. They're starting to score more runs but getting somewhat thin at SP. And our BP is way too inconsistent. Last place? The WSox are almost 50 games under .500....lol

• Like 1