2024 Trade Deadline Rumors and Discussion

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A very young and inexperienced team. Yes, they've struggled at times but they've also played some very good baseball for stretches. That last home stand against 2 first place teams wasn't a fluke, we won 5 out of 7. Perez and Vierling look good at times. They're starting to score more runs but getting somewhat thin at SP. And our BP is way too inconsistent. Last place? The WSox are almost 50 games under .500....lol

I'm just saying the Tigers are nowhere near a true playoff contender team..... Until we have 4-5 players consistently above .800, its all pretend. The offense isn't there, behind Skubal and Flaherty, the SP isn't there. We are still 2-3 years away from being serious contenders. Now's the time to see for that window. 

Avila screwed us by not committing to a full rebuild sooner. This is called MLB purgatory.... Only way to get out of it, is to do a rebuild correctly. Move Flaherty AND Skubal now to quit this loop of endlessness. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Avila screwed us by not committing to a full rebuild sooner. This is called MLB purgatory.... Only way to get out of it, is to do a rebuild correctly. Move Flaherty AND Skubal now to quit this loop of endlessness. 

I don’t recall it this way—I felt that he needless went the nuclear route and blew everything up nearly 8 years ago.  

7 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Athletics Big Board
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5649385/2024/07/22/mlb-trade-deadline-player-position-ranking/

Skubal #1 with NYY, BAL, LAD as possible landing spots
Flaherty #12 with NYY, HOU, MIL as possible landing spots

Look who's #3!

3. Isaac Paredes, 3B/1B, Rays

Positional ranking: No. 1 Bat
Contract status: Owed $1.1 million in 2024, then arbitration eligible through 2027
First-half stats: .261/.364/.459/.823, 15 HR, 50 RBI, 3.0 WAR
Likelihood of being dealt: 🔴

Would the Rays trade a 25-year-old All-Star under team control through 2027? It’s going to take a gigantic prospect package to even get the conversation going, but if history is any indication, Tampa Bay is always open for business if the price is right, and Isaac Paredes’ salary will rise substantially beginning in 2025. His inclusion on this list is perhaps a moot point, but if Paredes were made available he’d be the market’s top combination of present value and future team-controlled upside as a right-handed slugger around whom lineups can be built.

Potential landing spots:
team-logo-116-50x50.png
SEA,
team-logo-106-50x50.png
LAD,
team-logo-111-50x50.png
NYY

Review posts from spring 2022 to be reminded how little people here thought of Paredes. https://www.motownforums.com/search/?&q=paredes&search_and_or=or&start_after=1648771200&start_before=1656547200

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

We don’t have to solve every position through our minor leagues, trades for prospects or stopgap signings.  Let’s move some prospects for established hitters or make a free agent signing or two.

In time, my friend. In time.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t recall it this way—I felt that he needless went the nuclear route and blew everything up nearly 8 years ago.  

Avila hung on to players when he coulda sold. Set us back bigtime. Fulmer, Boyd, Kinsler. Castellanos are all examples. I don't want Skubal to be a Harris victim

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I'm just saying the Tigers are nowhere near a true playoff contender team..... Until we have 4-5 players consistently above .800, its all pretend. The offense isn't there, behind Skubal and Flaherty, the SP isn't there. We are still 2-3 years away from being serious contenders. Now's the time to see for that window. 

Without relitigating everything that was wrong with Avila, it wasn't an issue of his not pushing us into a full rebuild—after all, we lost 98, then 98, then 114 games in consecutive years on this watch—it's that he didn't know what the hell to do once we got there. Putting a loser on the field is the easiest thing to do in big league baseball, and Avila was among the best at that.

But yes, we are now in the post-Avila rebuild, but I promise you we're going to get out of this one a lot a lot faster (although TBF, any amount of time is faster than never). Harris is rebuilding correctly right now, and we were so deep in the **** that it was never not going to take time. All you have to do is live through it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

The Yankees have two hitters above .800. Every other non-injured regular is under .700. And they lead MLB in runs scored. The Mariners are in second place. Their top regular has a 716 OPS. I'm not arguing that the Tigers are playoff contenders right now, but I don't think they are that far off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

The Yankees have two hitters above .800. Every other non-injured regular is under .700. And they lead MLB in runs scored. The Mariners are in second place. Their top regular has a 716 OPS. I'm not arguing that the Tigers are playoff contenders right now, but I don't think they are that far off. 

His post is complete nonsense and shows that he clearly hasn't actually looked at the public ally available stats and is simply operating based on feelings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

His post is complete nonsense and shows that he clearly hasn't actually looked at the public ally available stats and is simply operating based on feelings.

people haven't adjusted to how much hitting is down across the league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This...1000x this.  Its an ongoing trend. I predict Miggy will be the last .300 ba +500hr guy for awhile

There's no rule that says you can't buy players and continue to build from within at the same time. You don't have to wait till you feel you're a true contender before doing so. The Rangers are a prime example of this, folks thought they were stupid to do "win now moves" like sign Semien and Seager when they were supposedly so far away from contention yet a year later they won the whole thing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For all the kvetching about the offense the Tigers are 15th in MLB in runs/game. They are 14th in runs allowed/game. The epitome of a .500 team. Considering they are one of MLB's youngest teams the future isn't as dismal as some around here think. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Avila committed to it but the return he got for established stars was underwhelming. Even if it were on scouts advice, the buck stopped at the top and it cost him his job. Some of his draft picks were/are decent. Other picks were just unlucky that we had high picks with untalented players at the top of the draft board. But that's all in the past, moving forward we have a chance to get it right with Scott Harris in charge. Trade Skubal? I am 100% against that. I don't wanna lose any top prospects either. But whatever he does, I'll try to stay positive and stick with them.

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Yes, I think the mandated 4 or 5 guys over .800 is a stretch (although that’d be awfully darn fun).  I glanced through some of the better offenses and only the Dodgers, Orioles, and Phillies fit the bill.

44 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Morosi has ties to Detroit so I wonder if he's just stirring the pot or knows something is happening behind the scenes 

I don’t want to see him dealt, but if the Tigers get an offer that they cannot refuse, it’s understandable.

They’re closer to the playoffs than they’ve been in a long time.  Unfortunately Flaherty probably gets dealt and Olson just landed on the IL.  Mize has been on the IL, and Maeda has been awful.  The rotation has really kept them around for this long.  But with the Flaherty and Olson situations, it looks like a daunting task to make up ground between now and the playoffs.

Dealing Skubal leaves a giant hole in the rotation.  I don’t know how a team fills that void.  It starts with better depth.  But there needs to be quality with the quantity and Skubal is of utmost quality.

13 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, I think the mandated 4 or 5 guys over .800 is a stretch (although that’d be awfully darn fun).  I glanced through some of the better offenses and only the Dodgers, Orioles, and Phillies fit the bill.

And who is most likely going to win the World Series? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔. Thank you for proving my point Casimir. 

And by the way, it doesn't even need to be 4 or 5. 3-4 should suffice. But I'd wager anything that no team has won the WS in the last 30 years w/o at least 3 hitters above .800 OPS. For all you internet sleuths out there, go for it. I'd be curious on that. 

2 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

And who is most likely going to win the World Series? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔. Thank you for proving my point Casimir. 

And by the way, it doesn't even need to be 4 or 5. 3-4 should suffice. But I'd wager anything that no team has won the WS in the last 30 years w/o at least 3 hitters above .800 OPS. For all you internet sleuths out there, go for it. I'd be curious on that. 

I didn't prove anything for you.

Is the internet working for you?  Can you not research your own theory?

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I didn't prove anything for you.

Is the internet working for you?  Can you not research your own theory?

When you said that LAD, Phillies and Orioles all have 4+ .800 hitters.... That's what I'm saying you proved. Those 3 are by far the leaders in odds of winning the World Series. 

I wasn't referring to you on the 2nd part......

9 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

When you said that LAD, Phillies and Orioles all have 4+ .800 hitters.... That's what I'm saying you proved. Those 3 are by far the leaders in odds of winning the World Series. 

I wasn't referring to you on the 2nd part......

So, the other 27 teams should not try to win and sell all their best players?

Only three teams have even three qualified hitters over .800 this year.

image.thumb.png.ec761a0960ed1ce91a471a1d41b620b0.png

.800 OPS doesn’t mean the same thing from year to year, anyway. This year, an .800 OPS translates to about a 130 OPS+. In 2000, it was closer to 105 or 110. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So, the other 27 teams should not try to win and sell all their best players?

That's not what I'm saying at all. 

I'm saying OBJECTIVELY that a team without at least three .800 OPS hitters will MOST LIKELY NOT win the World Series. It can be done, sure. Any team can get hot if they get in to the playoffs. The players playing in MLB are obviously good if they are in the MLB.

What I'm saying is, we can sit here all day and say we're "Close" to getting in the playoffs or we can use our assets now and DRASTICALLY IMPROVE our chances to get to three+ .800 players who OBJECTIVELY will GIVE US a BETTER chance at actually winning the thing.... If you can honestly sit here and tell me that the Tigers will beat the Phillies, Dodgers, Yankees, Orioles, and Cleveland then I'll shut up.

But we have the chance here to drastically improve our team in the near future. Going for it this year will be setting us up for failure in the years to come. They can get so much for Flaherty and Skubal right now that they can add three possibly four position players of first division calibur (.800+ OPS). Then you Sign one or two pitchers in Free Agency or trade for one to replace Skubal. Take the Moneyball approach with Skubal. Can you replace him directly? No. But can you sign two #2 pitchers in FA to make up for him along with four first division players in your lineup? Yes. (It's been proven numerous times that teams that don't have cy young candidates leading their rotation can win a WS). Or if an Ace does hit FA, then you pay for him. Hell Corbin Burnes will be a FA. Trade Skubal, and use MONEY from one of the richest owners in Baseball to sign Burnes. Burnes and Jobe is a nice 1-2.

All I'm saying is our lineup is not WS calibur. I think if you can step back and actually look at it, you will see that. We all like this team. But take the subjective look out of it and look at things objectively. If we buy or stand pat, we are Al Avila 2.0. We will be stuck in this endless loop of mediocrity purgatory. The time is NOW to get better. And you get better by trading Skubal and Flaherty for 3-4 guys who will be in the lineup for the next decade.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Only three teams have even three qualified hitters over .800 this year.

image.thumb.png.ec761a0960ed1ce91a471a1d41b620b0.png

.800 OPS doesn’t mean the same thing from year to year, anyway. This year, an .800 OPS translates to about a 130 OPS+. In 2000, it was closer to 105 or 110. 

That's not 100% accurate. I looked up Cleveland and they have three guys. Plus, I also consider guys .790 to be close enough to .800 for arugment sake. I see what you're saying here. But https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/cle/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc shows three players not two. SO I'm not 100% sure how accurate that is. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/bos/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc - Red sox have 6, that shows they have two. Just another example. (Thank you for looking that up though)